Caucasus Map - Scenery Containers not obtainable with API Scan

Apple
Go to solution Solved by Apple,

Hi

considering this simple script:

env.info("Scan Container Zone Start")
 local foundUnits = {}
 local sphere = trigger.misc.getZone('Container')
 local volS = {
   id = world.VolumeType.SPHERE,
   params = {
     point = sphere.point,
     radius = sphere.radius
   }
 }

local ifFound = function(foundItem, val)
    foundUnits[#foundUnits + 1] = foundItem:getName()
    env.info(foundItem:getName())
    env.info(foundItem:getTypeName())
    return true
 end

world.searchObjects(Object.Category.SCENERY, volS, ifFound) 

container-type scenery objects cannot be found via the API on the Caucasus map. Other maps tested are ok. Caucaus also seems to be the only map using "konteiner"-type scenery objects, others are using "container"-types (if that helps).

ContainerSceneryTestCaucasus.miz ContainerSceneryTestMarianas.miz ContainerSceneryTestAtlantic.miz

On 11/27/2022 at 7:16 PM, Flappie said:

Hi. As you may know, it's the eldest terrain we have and it got converted. Did this script even worked with Caucasus? If so, in which DCS version?

No idea mate if it ever worked. I know it's not working on current beta

• 1 month later...
  • ED Team

I have moved this to Mission Editor bugs, honestly its probably not either. We cannot report bugs on outside scripts that do not work. If it doesn't work and you would like it to, its better to do a wish list item and request it as a feature, if its only the Caucasus that doesn't work, its possible it is as Flappie said, its a Hybrid map using old and new map tech. 

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

19 hours ago, NineLine said:

I have moved this to Mission Editor bugs, honestly its probably not either. We cannot report bugs on outside scripts that do not work. If it doesn't work and you would like it to, its better to do a wish list item and request it as a feature, if its only the Caucasus that doesn't work, its possible it is as Flappie said, its a Hybrid map using old and new map tech. 

That isn't an "outside script" as you say. It is using world.searchObjects which is part of the scripting engine. This issue has been reported since Oct 2021.

In general the issue occurs on all maps with a plethora of different objects throughout. The common types are what can be considered "knickknacks" or "doodads" on the map. Meaning they are usually objects on the small side of things, only render at close distances, or spice up a scene somehow. It is usually in the form of walls, fences, parked cars, debris, and things of that nature. But there are instances of larger objects that are simply not returned for one reason or another. Best guess is that it is a map issue where the objects need to be given a tag of some sort for the function to detect and return the objects. If I dropped a bomb on them it'll give me the objects via hit/dead events, so they functionally do exist. 

I have mixed feelings with it because every object on the map is an object and should be accessible. On the other hand broad filters are nice because returning absolutely everything in a given area could double or more the objects returned. Chances are you don't care about the 200 fence objects that are in the area, but those are still objects you'd have to iterate through. The inconsistency does bother me though. See the screenshots attached, the parked scenery ships don't return but apparently the 20+ objects on a ship do on Caucuses. Meanwhile on Syria the containers are returned, but ships, cargo cranes, fences, and lightpoles are not. 

Screen_230102_175557.jpg

Screen_230102_175608.jpg

Screen_230102_184704.jpg

• Like 1

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

So for context I did in fact do searches of areas going back to Nevada map and literally every fence and rubbish bin would report a bomb hit.  I dont think anyone wants that, it made using this harder. I prefer the objects weren't returned. But above all, I really think consistency is the most important when we deal with code that can make DCS customers go wow. I'd rather know it was consistent and a goal of map development, than either of the possibilities.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *