How to Get Kneeboard to show?

TheThumper

I never purchased the kneeboard option, but now that Vaicom Pro has gone free license I assume I could use it.  I see the option for Brightness and "Auto Browse" in the config window, but in Sim it doesn't show up.  I can get the DCS kneeboard to show up, but don't see any vaicom kneeboard/pages... I cycled through all pages too.

Any thoughts as to what I need to do to get that to work?

~Thump.

Computer Specs:

i7-6700K@4.00GHz, 32GB, 850 EVO 1TB, GTX 1080 Ti, Samsung Odyssey VR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So one edit to this.... I guess I do have the kneeboard... I see the blackbox around kneeboard and the option on the bottom left to <, >, and pin.... what I don't see is a kneeboard page like I see in the manual.  My interest is in capturing 9-lines and Carrier comms and I thought the kneeboard would 'capture' that to give me something to reference once it disappeared from the screen (and my brain).

Again, any help is appreciated!

~Thump.

Computer Specs:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have always struggled trying to work with the Vaicom kneeboard as well and purchased it quite some time ago. I ended up just giving up on it at the time.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Are you using VR by chance?  I just tested and I can only get the kneeboard plugin to work in 2D.  In VR only the standard DCS kneeboard shows up.

System: IBP Snowblind, i7-9700k, Zotac RTX2080Ti, 32GB DDR4 , Samsung 970 Plus 1TB M.2 NVMe, WD 1TB, Oculus Rift CV1, TM Warthog HOTAS, TM T.Flight Pedals, TM MFD's, Buddyfox A10C UFC

Modules/Maps: F/A-18C, A10C, UH-1H, F-15, F5, P51, F14, Caucasus, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

2 hours ago, Chappy500 said:

Are you using VR by chance?  I just tested and I can only get the kneeboard plugin to work in 2D.  In VR only the standard DCS kneeboard shows up.

nah 2D even.

~Thump.

Computer Specs:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

11 hours ago, Drac said:

When I say "Kneeboard", the interactive kneeboard comes up. Then when I scroll the kneeboard, the DCS standard kneeboard displays.

Same here.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

20 hours ago, Drac said:

When I say "Kneeboard", the interactive kneeboard comes up. Then when I scroll the kneeboard, the DCS standard kneeboard displays.

Which has always been the way the kneeboard works. I'm not sure I understand the complaint. If the issue is that you want to see different tabs on the interactive kneeboard then you need to use the VAICOM functions that access those tabs. If you switch pages using the DCS commands (which is what I assume you mean by "scroll") then you have switched away from the VAICOM kneeboard page. The key to understanding this is that the use of the term "page" in the VAICOM kneeboard documentation really means "tab." There is only one VAICOM kneeboard "page" in the usual sense. But it has multiple tabs.

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

I have attached an image of what I get when I say 'Kneeboard' to VaicomPro.... I see the border around the kneeboard.  I see "pin", ">", "<", "UP", "DN" along the edges.  If I wanted to see what ATC just called out to me, what actions should I take or what should I say?

As stated by previous poster, if you "scroll" then you see the DCS pages and leave the Vaicom which isn't my intent.  I am just unsure how to navigate otherwise.  I have tried verbal "JTAC" and the like, but don't get any response.  I attached the VaicomPro profile in VoiceAttack, should there be specific kneeboard commands there?

Thanks again for any assistance.

Screen_221206_143535.jpg

Screenshot_20221206_024120.png

~Thump.

Computer Specs:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 12/4/2022 at 12:59 AM, TheThumper said:

I never purchased the kneeboard option, but now that Vaicom Pro has gone free license I assume I could use it.  I see the option for Brightness and "Auto Browse" in the config window, but in Sim it doesn't show up.  I can get the DCS kneeboard to show up, but don't see any vaicom kneeboard/pages... I cycled through all pages too.

Any thoughts as to what I need to do to get that to work?

How many modules do you have installed at the moment? Any mods? Not sure I'll have an answer for you, but this info might help someone else diagnose what's going on...

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

DSD Flight Series button controller, XK-24, Oculus Rift (HM-A)

2 minutes ago, Horns said:

How many modules do you have installed at the moment? Any mods? Not sure I'll have an answer for you, but this info might help someone else diagnose what's going on...

Too many modules to remember, most of them.  No mods installed.  Good point on that being important.

~Thump.

Computer Specs:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1 hour ago, TheThumper said:

Too many modules to remember, most of them.  No mods installed.  Good point on that being important.

Cheers for the info. I know that some people are having issues if they have more than 37 mods installed, if you're in that boat that might be the cause, in which case you might be able to test if that's the cause by temporarily dropping back to 36 or fewer. If that is the issue, then I believe the team expect the next community release should resolve it.

That said, I just tested for myself (having less than 37 modules) and I seem to be getting the same thing, 'kneeboard' just opens the standard kneeboard with no vaicom interactive kneeboard present, and trying to switch pages doesn't bring anything up either, all I can do is say 'kneeboard' to toggle the standard kneeboard. I've asked a question in the discord, if I get an answer I'll share it here in case it fixes your problem.

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

18 hours ago, TheThumper said:

I have attached an image of what I get when I say 'Kneeboard' to VaicomPro.... I see the border around the kneeboard.  I see "pin", ">", "<", "UP", "DN" along the edges.  If I wanted to see what ATC just called out to me, what actions should I take or what should I say?

As stated by previous poster, if you "scroll" then you see the DCS pages and leave the Vaicom which isn't my intent.  I am just unsure how to navigate otherwise.  I have tried verbal "JTAC" and the like, but don't get any response.  I attached the VaicomPro profile in VoiceAttack, should there be specific kneeboard commands there?

Screen_221206_143535.jpg

If you want to scroll to another page you should use voice command  "x page" where x should be the name of the page you want to open.

For example "awacs page", "ATC page" "JTAC page" etc. You can use callsigns instead of x: Awacs = Overlord ('overlord page' command opens the awacs page same as the 'awacs page' command) etc. 

19 hours ago, TheThumper said:

As mentioned, I wasn't able to bring up the interactive kneeboard (or get that page within the standard kneeboard). I did a clean install of Vaicom Pro from the zip file here, following the installation instructions here, and it fixed the problem. The only thing I did differently was that this time I went with the zip file instead of the .msi, but the problem is definitely gone for me.

If the other advice here doesn't help, it might be worth trying a clean install and seeing if that fixes the problem for you too.

Edited by Horns
Mentioned using zip instead of .MSI

2 hours ago, Horns said:

As mentioned, I wasn't able to bring up the interactive kneeboard (or get that page within the standard kneeboard). I did a clean install of Vaicom Pro from the zip file here, following the installation instructions here, and it fixed the problem. The only thing I did differently was that this time I went with the zip file instead of the .msi, but the problem is definitely gone for me.

If the other advice here doesn't help, it might be worth trying a clean install and seeing if that fixes the problem for you too.

One thought: The kneeboard code creates a "scripts" folder structure in the root of the c:\ drive. I don't know why it does this, and I consider it to be a bug. It occurs to me that if you are running VA under normal permissions rather than as an administrator then possibly there could be a permissions issue. I tested the kneeboard last night using the latest OB version of DCS and the community release version of VAICOM and it worked perfectly. Have you turned on debugging and looked at the vaicom log file (not the VA log file) to see if there are any relevant messages?

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

22 hours ago, sthompson said:

One thought: The kneeboard code creates a "scripts" folder structure in the root of the c:\ drive. I don't know why it does this, and I consider it to be a bug. It occurs to me that if you are running VA under normal permissions rather than as an administrator then possibly there could be a permissions issue. I tested the kneeboard last night using the latest OB version of DCS and the community release version of VAICOM and it worked perfectly. Have you turned on debugging and looked at the vaicom log file (not the VA log file) to see if there are any relevant messages?

Cheers for the idea. I didn’t look at the log, but I did confirm it was running as administrator. I didn’t change any settings re permissions either when I first installed the community version from the .MSI or when I reinstalled from the zip, but the reinstallation did rectify the problem. I assumed it was either a random corruption issue or a difference between the .MSI and the zip, but either way I’m golden now.

On 12/7/2022 at 11:19 AM, Horns said:

I followed Horns advice and tried a clean install... that has resolved my issue.  I guess for those of us that had it setup previously without kneeboard something is "missing".  Clean install did the trick.  Thanks for the help!

~Thump.

Computer Specs:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...
On 12/6/2022 at 1:42 PM, TheThumper said:

Screen_221206_143535.jpg

Just to double check that you got this fixed, what you posted is what happens when you say "kneeboard," but the image you posted shows it on the kneeboard PAGE that is in the DCS kneeboard, not the VAICOM Pro one.  This particular one you have up (the yellow notebook) is a kneeboard page added by the mission builder into the DCS kneeboard.

To get to the VAICOM Pro kneeboard from there, you would have to page through with the "[" and "]" key until you see the VAICOM Pro one. That is the one with the tabs on top.

To get the VAICOM Pro kneeboard to show the contents of the tab, you would say the keyword for it.  "AWACS" will get you the AWACS tab, "Anvil" witll get you the JTAC tab, etc.  Someone posted earlier that you can actually say their callsign (ie Magic instead of AWACS)--I assume that works, I haven't tried it yet.

You can only the VAICOM Pro kneeboard features when your on screen kneeboard is displaying the VAICOM Pro kneeboard, so you may have to page to it with the [ and ] key.  Once you are there you say the tab.  For instance, you wanted what ATC said.  So, from scratch, bring up the kneeboard and make sure it is on the VAICOM Pro kneeboard (if not, page to it).  When the VAICOM Pro kneeboard is showing with the tabs on it, say "Traffic" and it will go to the ATC tab of the VAICOM Pro kneeboard.

Alternatively, you can alt-tab to the Voice Attack window and whatever radio calls were made (and what you said) will be shown there as well.

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

• 2 months later...

Hi there!

Do I have the VAICOM kneeboard, if I never purchased it? Is it part of the new free one? I can´t find any voive command for the kneeboard in the VAICOM PRO for DCS profile of Voice Attack.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Greets,

Michael

41 minutes ago, Mik75 said:

Hi there!

Do I have the VAICOM kneeboard, if I never purchased it? Is it part of the new free one? I can´t find any voive command for the kneeboard in the VAICOM PRO for DCS profile of Voice Attack.

It is part of the free community releases. To get it to show, the voice command is the word “kneeboard”. It may not have been incorporated in the very first community release, so I suggest you make sure your running the latest one to be safe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Horns said:

It is part of the free community releases. To get it to show, the voice command is the word “kneeboard”. It may not have been incorporated in the very first community release, so I suggest you make sure your running the latest one to be safe.

Thanks a lot!

It´s been in the plugin, but the commands were missing. I had to update the keywords using the editor tab. Now, the kneeboards shows up, but I don´t know how to access the different tabs.

Edit: The preprogrammed voice commands (anvil, crystal) for the kneeboard don't work at all. I had to add new ones to the VA profile. Now, I can switch between the different tabs. But the "kneeboard" voice command doesn't work either. It recognises my voice, but VA states something like "wait for additional input". 

This is really pretty hard to setup... 

Edited by Mik75

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Greets,

Michael

49 minutes ago, Mik75 said:

Thanks a lot!

It´s been in the plugin, but the commands were missing. I had to update the keywords using the editor tab. Now, the kneeboards shows up, but I don´t know how to access the different tabs.

On 2/1/2023 at 4:56 AM, bonesvf103 said:
Spoiler

Just to double check that you got this fixed, what you posted is what happens when you say "kneeboard," but the image you posted shows it on the kneeboard PAGE that is in the DCS kneeboard, not the VAICOM Pro one.  This particular one you have up (the yellow notebook) is a kneeboard page added by the mission builder into the DCS kneeboard.

To get to the VAICOM Pro kneeboard from there, you would have to page through with the "[" and "]" key until you see the VAICOM Pro one. That is the one with the tabs on top.

To get the VAICOM Pro kneeboard to show the contents of the tab, you would say the keyword for it.  "AWACS" will get you the AWACS tab, "Anvil" witll get you the JTAC tab, etc. 

Spoiler

Someone posted earlier that you can actually say their callsign (ie Magic instead of AWACS)--I assume that works, I haven't tried it yet.

You can only the VAICOM Pro kneeboard features when your on screen kneeboard is displaying the VAICOM Pro kneeboard, so you may have to page to it with the [ and ] key.  Once you are there you say the tab.  For instance, you wanted what ATC said.  So, from scratch, bring up the kneeboard and make sure it is on the VAICOM Pro kneeboard (if not, page to it).  When the VAICOM Pro kneeboard is showing with the tabs on it, say "Traffic" and it will go to the ATC tab of the VAICOM Pro kneeboard.

Alternatively, you can alt-tab to the Voice Attack window and whatever radio calls were made (and what you said) will be shown there as well.

v6,

boNes

Bones covers it pretty well in this post from earlier in this thread.

15 minutes ago, Horns said:

Bones covers it pretty well in this post from earlier in this thread.

I got the VAICOM kneeboard working. But the voice commands like Traffic, Anvil, etc. didn't switch between the different tabs of it. I created my own voice commands for that, and it's working now. 

The "kneeboard" voice command doesn't work either. I have to use shift+k to bring it up. When Voice Attack recognises "kneeboard", it states: " waiting for additional input", and nothing happens. 

Edited by Mik75

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Greets,

Michael

29 minutes ago, Mik75 said:

I got the VAICOM kneeboard working. But the voice commands like Traffic, Anvil, etc. didn't switch between the different tabs of it. I created my own voice commands for that, and it's working now. 

The "kneeboard" voice command doesn't work either. I have to use shift+k to bring it up. When Voice Attack recognises "kneeboard", it states: " waiting for additional input", and nothing happens. 

Glad you got the tabs working, although it sounds like you had to do more than you should have. It sounds like possibly the 'Finish' process, as one does it after each update, need to be repeated; that should give you all the keywords (including 'kneeboard') without having to add any manually. If you're unsure of the process, p38 (it's acually 39 in my PDF reader) of the manual covers it. Page 45 (46 in my PDF reader) deals with the interactive kneeboard as well.

Edited by Horns
Fixed grammar
  • Thanks 1