Asus RTX 3080 TUF crashes

Aqua_HeaD
Go to solution Solved by Aqua_HeaD,

This is gonna suck believe me, Try running the DCS repair, If that doesn't work a clean install might. (uninstall, restart pc then install).  Do this if you are out of options as its a big install.

You also have any mods or after effects running aswell? like ReShade?Cockpit skins? Have you tried in different planes? like the SU25t?

Another thing, Take a screen shot of your settings (for your memory) and click the preset (LOWEST) and save your graphic settings as that, and try to see if you can get it to crash.  If it doesn't crash, put your settings back as they were, see if it crashes again.

Edited by Soulres
  • Like 1

Did you mention you had an MSI RTX then switched to an ASUS RTX? Just out of interest, are you using the default drivers from nVidia or from MSI > ASUS?

I have the 12gb 3080 TUF, coming from 2070 Super MSI, I've had no issues, but have always used nVidia drivers, not MSIs or ASUSs. Only crashing I've had was to do with the last patch.

My Hangar:

F16C | FA18C | AH64D | F14A/B | M2000C | AV8B | A10C/ii | KA50/iii | UH1H | Gazelle | FC3 | CA | Supercarrier

My Spec:

Obsidian750D Airflow | Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K | 32GB DDR4 Vengeance @3600 | RTX3080 12GB OC | ZXR PCIe | WD Black 2TB SSD | Log X56 | Log G502 | TrackIR | 1 badass mutha

1 hour ago, DAZnBLAST said:

Did you mention you had an MSI RTX then switched to an ASUS RTX? Just out of interest, are you using the default drivers from nVidia or from MSI > ASUS?

I have the 12gb 3080 TUF, coming from 2070 Super MSI, I've had no issues, but have always used nVidia drivers, not MSIs or ASUSs. Only crashing I've had was to do with the last patch.

I switched from my earlier Asus RTX 2080TI Strix to my sons Asus RTX 3080 TUF. I have always used Nvidia drivers and DDU when I have replaced them.

9 hours ago, Soulres said:

No problem, DCS is very quirky like oldschool Bethseda games. 

Ok... I manage to fly a new session. Again it was the same Instant Case 1 landing mission. I was playing for almost an hour and said to my girlfriend that it seems to work this time but two seconds later DCS crashed again. That was one of the longer sessions before it crashed. I will add a HWinfo 64 log together with the DxDiag file.

dxdiag.txt 221207.CSV

17 minutes ago, Flappie said:

Is your GPU wired as it should to your PSU? See here:

When I had the same GPU in my sons PC we wired it up with two separate cables instead of one from the beginning. He has an Corsair AX1200i PSU in his PC and still some of his game crashed after we added the second cable. I will try to do the same on mine but I must get another cable first. It can of course have something to to with that.

1 hour ago, Flappie said:

Is your GPU wired as it should to your PSU? See here:

I read that and instantly a CPU at 90'c thermal throttling will crash the game everytime. 

5 hours ago, Aqua_HeaD said:

I switched from my earlier Asus RTX 2080TI Strix to my sons Asus RTX 3080 TUF. I have always used Nvidia drivers and DDU when I have replaced them.

Ok... I manage to fly a new session. Again it was the same Instant Case 1 landing mission. I was playing for almost an hour and said to my girlfriend that it seems to work this time but two seconds later DCS crashed again. That was one of the longer sessions before it crashed. I will add a HWinfo 64 log together with the DxDiag file.

dxdiag.txt 103.22 kB · 2 downloads 221207.CSV 4.3 MB · 1 download

Try this, See about doing a free flight mission, or hop into a FYA or (Through the Inferno) multiplayer servers to fly around in and see if it crashes. The Missions can be funky(meaning they crash) and I just wanna make sure which it is, 

Also you can try Deleting the software from ASUS and then uninstalling the driver, let windows re-install it, then give the game a shot.

,Something not mentioned yet, what are your GPU,CPU,Harddrive/SSD Temps peaking at? Nothing over 85'c is there?

54 minutes ago, Aqua_HeaD said:

When I had the same GPU in my sons PC we wired it up with two separate cables instead of one from the beginning. He has an Corsair AX1200i PSU in his PC and still some of his game crashed after we added the second cable. I will try to do the same on mine but I must get another cable first. It can of course have something to to with that.

Unless your CPU is at a constant 90'c causing it to thermal throttle, which always causes DCS to crash, Im certain this doesn't apply to you. 

3 minutes ago, Soulres said:

I read that and instantly a CPU at 90'c thermal throttling will crash the game everytime. 

Try this, See about doing a free flight mission, or hop into a FYA or (Through the Inferno) multiplayer servers to fly around in and see if it crashes. The Missions can be funky(meaning they crash) and I just wanna make sure which it is, 

Also you can try Deleting the software from ASUS and then uninstalling the driver, let windows re-install it, then give the game a shot.

,Something not mentioned yet, what are your GPU,CPU,Harddrive/SSD Temps peaking at? Nothing over 85'c is there?

Unless your CPU is at a constant 90'c causing it to thermal throttle, which always causes DCS to crash, Im certain this doesn't apply to you. 

I have tried the free flight mission with the same result. It crashes after a while. The temp of the GPU is just around 70 degrees celsius at max power and the CPU will never pass 50 degrees celsius. I have uninstalled both ICUE and ASUS Aura and have a minimum of programs running. I have no mods at all installed in the game. I played a lot at the FYA servers before and I will for sure try to log in there just to see what happen. 

I am out of ideas now. The last thing that I did during the past hours was added an another PCIe cable to the GPU, changed RAM with my son and also tried to fly at 4YA multiplayer server. Still crash! Maybe its the GPU anyway but I wont belive that since other games and benchmarks work great. I really dont want to reinstall the game or windows since it is a lot of work but maybe that the last alternatives. I have 3 log files (Multiplayer, New RAM and 2 PCIe cables) from recent crashes if someone are interested. 

Another test with driver 522.25 in recovery mode (if that´s the right word) and still crash.

Edited by Aqua_HeaD

vor 6 Stunden schrieb Aqua_HeaD:

I am out of ideas now. The last thing that I did during the past hours was added an another PCIe cable to the GPU, changed RAM with my son and also tried to fly at 4YA multiplayer server. Still crash! Maybe its the GPU anyway but I wont belive that since other games and benchmarks work great. I really dont want to reinstall the game or windows since it is a lot of work but maybe that the last alternatives. I have 3 log files (Multiplayer, New RAM and 2 PCIe cables) from recent crashes if someone are interested. 

Another test with driver 522.25 in recovery mode (if that´s the right word) and still crash.

Sorry, missed your dxdiag. What I see in there are 3 things:

a) your windows is outdated. I would recommend updating your windows 11 with the latest update from Microsoft. 

b) your BIOS is very old and not Windows 11 compatible. This might cause all kind of issues already. Update your BIOS!

c) DCS crashes in the visual c++ runtime. If the above mentioned updates don't help already, reinstall the visual C++ runtime.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Special K said:

a) your windows is outdated. I would recommend updating your windows 11 with the latest update from Microsoft. 

b) your BIOS is very old and not Windows 11 compatible. This might cause all kind of issues already. Update your BIOS!

c) DCS crashes in the visual c++ runtime. If the above mentioned updates don't help already, reinstall the visual C++ runtime.

I really appreciate your help. I will of course try all this asap. 👍

15 hours ago, Special K said:

Win 11, BIOS and C++ updated to the latest. Repaired the game. Tride both the Beta and the stable (2.7.18.30765) version and the Beta seems to be a little bit more stable but it is hard to tell because the crashes are complete random. Same information in the system logg as before. This is ridicilous. 🙂

Edited: Even tried the lastest driver 527.56 the game crash and this time almost at once.

System logg 1.jpg

System logg 2.jpg

System logg 3.jpg

dxdiag.txt

dcs.20221209-133110.log

Edited by Aqua_HeaD

Nvidia are also trying to help and this is the latest answer from them. 

Nothing stands out in the log file. There are still 3 drops in the 12v voltage, but that was a very long log. There is also still a Thermal Event flag, but it was early in the log file and had nothing to do with an actual Temp event yet again.”

Edited by Aqua_HeaD

16 hours ago, Special K said:

Ah damn, that's bad. Really thought we've got a step ahead.

Any overclocking used? XMP profiles count as oc in that case.

I have tested XMP activated and inactivated (auto). I have it now off and run my RAM sticks at 2133Mhz instead of 3200Mhz (default) but it crashes anyway. 

I have tried the GPU overklocked when running benchmarks and stress test without issues but normally I have everything at stock settings. 

There seems to be a lot of problems showing up from day to day regarding different games nowadays. My son started to have issues with his old GTX 1080 in Modern Warfare yesterday that was new for him. A lot of crashes in several games use to be common with different types of GPU’s so this may have something to do with a combination of software issues I guess. 

I will bring the GPU over to a friend today and try it in his PC with DCS to see what happens.

The GPU is now tested in my friends PC with some progress. Intel I9 10XX CPU with 32GB RAM DDR4 with unknown motherboard and a PSU of 750w (Win10). DCS worked fine on his PC during the one hour test that we did but we used only VR (Oculus Quest II) for DCS. Microsoft Flight simulator 2020 crashed without VR on his PC almost at once with my RTX 3080. He used the 526.47 version of Nvidia driver.

I tried the exact same thing when I came home but with the driver 527.56. DCS crashed as usual when using my Oculus Quest One but Microsoft Flight Simulator worked great on my PC without VR.

I am almost for sure that the GPU is without any problem since those different games runs fine on different PC's. If the GPU have had some issues the same games would have crashed on both PC's.

Edited by Aqua_HeaD

14 hours ago, Flappie said:

Maybe it's something to do with your motherboard. Please check its PCIE setting. It should be "Auto".

Also please ensure your GPU is seated in the fastest PCIE slot.

The GPU is placed in the fastest slot. I have actually no more ideas but I will still belive it has something with Nvidia drivers and maybe Win 11 to do. Some drivers work better than others but every driver will crash DCS in the end. I belive I have to wait for awhile and see what will happpen with the upcoming versions of Win 11 and the GPU driver. As I have been written before I have tested this GPU in three different computers with all different results. Some games will crash on my PC and not the other two and vice versa. All benchmarks run fine except one in Modern Warfare II 2022 but that game has so many bugs and needs to be updated to work without issues. Next thing is to reinstall Windows and also DCS but I hesitate to do it.

Edited by Aqua_HeaD

Repaired the game again and deleted FXO and the Metashader catalogue. Reverted back to Beta again and tried to fly one more time. After 32 minutes in the air a sudden crash as usual. Nvidia driver 516.94 This time. I will give up here and I think I have done everything by now. I will just leave it as it is. I will stop fly DCS for a while since I cant get it to work. Thanks anyway for all your support guys.

dcs.20221213-162825.log dxdiag.txt

On 12/12/2022 at 5:33 PM, Flappie said:

Maybe it's something to do with your motherboard. Please check its PCIE setting. It should be "Auto".

Also please ensure your GPU is seated in the fastest PCIE slot.

Noticed these, not sure if you saw them but you've done articles about this before.

2022-12-13 16:28:25.777 ERROR   DX11BACKEND (Main): DX device removed. Reason: 0x887A0006

Also saw these issues. Is that old DirectX issue making a return?

2022-12-13 15:59:51.910 ERROR   APP (Main): Error: Unit [S-3B Tanker]: Corrupt damage model.

2022-12-13 15:59:51.915 ERROR   APP (Main): Error: Unit [SH-60B]: Corrupt damage model.

2022-12-13 16:28:25.782 ERROR   DX11BACKEND (Main): Failed assert `0` at Projects\render\dx11backend_win8\Source\DX11StructuredBuffer.cpp:100

Is this relatable? Link to issue from 1 year ago

10 hours ago, Aqua_HeaD said:

Repaired the game again and deleted FXO and the Metashader catalogue. Reverted back to Beta again and tried to fly one more time. After 32 minutes in the air a sudden crash as usual. Nvidia driver 516.94 This time. I will give up here and I think I have done everything by now. I will just leave it as it is. I will stop fly DCS for a while since I cant get it to work. Thanks anyway for all your support guys.

dcs.20221213-162825.log 241.79 kB · 1 download dxdiag.txt 102.52 kB · 0 downloads

I think the only option is to run a repair (which I think you did) and do a complete,CLEAN, reinstall (Don't forget to save your Binds!) I'm finding errors reguarding 

Ground units and others.. Have you tried updating direct X and making sure all your C++ runtimes uptodate? Give this a try, see what happens.

Edited by Soulres