Pico 4: how to set it up for DCS?

Lange_666

@Mr_sukebe

For easy enabling USB tethering use this .apk: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PUTpT9boTKssDXQ2qUCLxOKM3LPxQtlA/view

The rest depends on Windows networking settings. It might switch to a public network type automatically everytime and you have to set it back to private.
But in the end, you only get stable 1200 Mb/s and maybe a marginal cut in latency for USB tethering. You loose the charging capability during playing, your PC's USB connector can't provide much power.
I have my Pico connected to it's charger with a long USB-C cable and i'm back to Wifi5 at 5GHz connection. I'm in the same room with my router and the connection is fantastic. USB tethering only helps with low Wifi connection quality situations. However, another option is a USB-C Ethernet adapter...

• Like 1

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

Anyone else having problems with Discord audio when using Pico 4 on DCS World?  I can get DSC-SRS, DCS in-game audio, and Voice Attack to all play well together when flying, but I'm unable to find a way to get Discord mic (input) or speaker (output) to work.

I've tried configuring all of the available options: Pico Streaming Virtual Audio, Oculus Virtual Audio Device, and Virtual Desktop Audio - I get no input to the mic and no output to speakers. I'm having the same issue no matter how I'm connected - Wifi, USB, or ethernet using Virtual Desktop or Streaming Assistant.  

Today I tried just bringing up Discord only while in the Pico headset and on Steaming Assistant via USB, no matter input/output device I selected I was getting garbled/distorted audio when in Discord.  Note: Discord works fine in DCS when using other audio input / output devices (Airpods, HP Reverb G2, Rift-S, etc.).   -  Help

@rosteven1 To which VR API do you connect via VD? OpenVR via SteamVR or Oculus without SteamVR? I'm always running SteamVR and DCS on OpenVR on my end (without audio issues, Discord works, but i don't use SRS).

Edited by RealDCSpilot

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

Let me add one more point. If you are in DCS World and some how the SteamVR cannot find the headset, say due to Pico4 being taken off for a moment, then the audio may be lost. To fix this, go to settings, or other if in-flight, go to the audio tab, change from default to Virtual Desktop audo or vice versa to restore the audio. I am not sure if this is a VD or SteamVR thing cause it happens on Quest2 too.

Edited by VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

The contents of DCS World are so overwhelming to me: so many things to try, so many things to revisit. For now, whining about new products being late does not make much sense.

My wifi is basically all over the place, i.e. sometimes fine, but regularly pap, hence my interest in the USB option.

This morning, VD via USB, all working great.  This afternoon, nope, just didn't want to play ball.

As such, have changed my mind.  This one is going back and I'll be waiting for the (hopefully to be released) Pico 4 link.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

16 hours ago, Mr_sukebe said:

My wifi is basically all over the place, i.e. sometimes fine, but regularly pap, hence my interest in the USB option.

This morning, VD via USB, all working great.  This afternoon, nope, just didn't want to play ball.

As such, have changed my mind.  This one is going back and I'll be waiting for the (hopefully to be released) Pico 4 link.

The trick is to give VD some time in Wifi first before switching Wifi off in the headset. VD makes a copy protection check over internet once it started, so it needs Wifi on the headset for a small amount of time.

2 hours ago, RealDCSpilot said:

The trick is to give VD some time in Wifi first before switching Wifi off in the headset. VD makes a copy protection check over internet once it started, so it needs Wifi on the headset for a small amount of time.

The list of incovenients with this HMD just keeps growing...

• Like 2

I guess you can say that for a lot of headsets these days. Also i believe that that more and more headsets will go the wireless road.

That's why i didn't get one yet, too much hassle to my liking to get it going (maybe i'm spoiled in this area with my Rift-S, start Oculus software and off you go) and the lack of display port.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

I bought one of the ethernet to usb-c adapters with charger (the same one as in the youtube video) and I ended up returning it, DCS world and RF2 was shocking about 10 FPS, and there was no difference in the other flying or driving games. I get 866 on Wi-Fi 5 and TBH my Pico 4 has relatively been plug and play from day one when I bought Virtual Desktop. Sure everybody wants better, but with all the videos of people doing this and doing that, saying that it makes the Pico better, IMO is just making people restless and not liking the headset. 

I mean, start Virtual Desktop, start DCS world not that complicated really.

Z790, 13700K, RTX4080, 32 gig RAM, Warthog,  WarBRD base , Virpil Pedals, Pico 4

19 hours ago, tomcat_driver said:

The list of incovenients with this HMD just keeps growing...

It's my 7th HMD since 2016 and the one with the fewest inconveniences...

• Like 1

On 1/21/2023 at 7:49 AM, RealDCSpilot said:

It's my 7th HMD since 2016 and the one with the fewest inconveniences...

No DP, requires a dedicated 3rd party RF device, laggy, chinese privacy standards, not legally sold in the US, requires internet connection, requires 3rd party paid software to work properly, requires fiddling with developer mode functions to work properly, standard official api is flawed and half baked, only lasts for less than an hour on a full battery charge, previous gen processor+compression...

Edit.

I thought I had to clarify a few things. First of all it's nothing against you, sorry if I sounded that way.

The thing is that I'm also in the lookout to replace my current 1st-1.5ish gen HMDs within a budget. It might just as well be the Pico 4 eventually. But at this point, there are so many inconvenients everywhere with it, including the alternatives and the path this market is taking that to wait IMO is the best course of action probably.

When I put a list like that, perhaps other people will agree and will also voice out their disagreements and maybe we will even, perhaps and eventually, be heard.

It boils down to the fact that currently, there is no current gen consumer grade PCVR on the market, only previous gen products like the Reverb G2 and perhaps HTCs, being sold for premium prices because --no competition.

Edited by tomcat_driver
  • Like 2

I think, for the money you get a lot with the pico 4.

I wanted a HMD for Christmas for ny son and me.

I paid around 370€, get 3 games, a good fovand resolution in my opinion.

The next device i find interesting is the pimax crystal, but this cost too much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just chacking this. I have Quest 2 but thinking about to switch to Pico 4 as I don't care about Meta library and even with Q2 I prefere titles from Steam any way.

As I watching your experiance have to mention I run on some video on YT where is someone change USB drivers in Windows to prevent BSoD, can0t find it now unfortunatelly.
Also run on this video where someone talking about experiance with USB ethernet cable connection and provide bunch of links in description inclouding amazon link for 20$ adapter so could be usefull I hope.

Haven't gone through the 4 pages of this thread, sorry, but I believe the summary is that there's not a quick and easy way to play DCS with the Pico 4 plugged in with a cable yet.

I just tried the "simple" Streaming Assistant way, but DCS does not launch, and I don't want to explore the ethernet route for now, as it would seem it requires 2 cables (one ethernet and one charging, even if it's optional) and messing around with drivers and weird setups.

I would expect Pico would eventually figure out their software issues and fix them so we can use the Streaming Assistant with a USB cable out of the box, so you'd be able to disable Wifi and save some battery time. Until then, wireless gameplay with the wifi 6 router being just in front of me is the way to go for me.

Quick question though. I have a 3070, which VD then recommends High settings for. I'm going to try pumping it up to Ultra. Any previous experience with this? do you think it's doable? worst case scenario I'll be switching back to High again.

Also, why can't I change the Hz to 90 in VD? Pico supports it.

5 hours ago, Assamita said:

Quick question though. I have a 3070, which VD then recommends High settings for. I'm going to try pumping it up to Ultra. Any previous experience with this? do you think it's doable? worst case scenario I'll be switching back to High again.

I have a 2080 and I use either Ultra @100 or High @ 150, (High at 120 for the Apache),  so Ultra with your 3070 should be doable. 

Do you mean 90 FPS in VD ? If so, I have mine set to 90 so I have no idea why it is not possible for you.

Z790, 13700K, RTX4080, 32 gig RAM, Warthog,  WarBRD base , Virpil Pedals, Pico 4

@Assamita On VD's Discord they say you have to disable energy saving options and factory reset the device. The issue came for some people after the 5.3.2 update.

9 minutes ago, RealDCSpilot said:

@Assamita On VD's Discord they say you have to disable energy saving options and factory reset the device. The issue came for some people after the 5.3.2 update.

Thank you. Where's the energy saving options though? I can't find anything under that description neither in the Pico options, nor in the VD options.

On 1/19/2023 at 2:58 PM, RealDCSpilot said:

@rosteven1 To which VR API do you connect via VD? OpenVR via SteamVR or Oculus without SteamVR? I'm always running SteamVR and DCS on OpenVR on my end (without audio issues, Discord works, but i don't use SRS).

On 1/19/2023 at 2:58 PM, RealDCSpilot said:

Thanks for the reply, the main problem turned out to be a misconfiguration on my part - I had the receive attenuation set to 100 percent which effectively killed of all receive audio.  The garbled/distorted transmit also was related to a settings issue.

Edited by rosteven1

Since the latest update for DCS this thread might need a little refresh:

DCS on native OpenXR runs excellent with Pico 4 over VD with SteamVR. (Currently with custom shortcut and command line parameter-> "--force_OpenXR")

1 hour ago, RealDCSpilot said:

Since the latest update for DCS this thread might need a little refresh:

DCS on native OpenXR runs excellent with Pico 4 over VD with SteamVR. (Currently with custom shortcut and command line parameter-> "--force_OpenXR")

Is this for the stable release version or only for the beta?

PC: I9 13900K, Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 OC, 32 GB RAM@6000Mhz.

Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas. Virpil Base for Joystick. Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudderpedals. Realsimulator FSSB-RL MKII ULTRA base + Realsimulator F16SGRH V2 grip

VR: Pimax Crystal, 8KX, HP Reverb G2, Pico 4, Quest 2. Buttkicker Gamer Pro. Next Level Motion Platform V3.

For me, with no mods and it runs great.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

The contents of DCS World are so overwhelming to me: so many things to try, so many things to revisit. For now, whining about new products being late does not make much sense.