VOR/TACAN course setting incorrect

some1

HSI course setting does not take into account the magnetic declination. Which causes CDI to show incorrect deviation from course.

For example here I'm parked on the runway heading 028 and tuned to LSV tacan at the opposite end. Bearing pointer shows correct direction to the beacon (25 degrees), yet CDI is centered when I set the course 37 degrees on the HSI, not 25. This difference happens to be the magnetic declination on this map (12 degrees). Same problem exists with VOR.

CDI should be centered when course setting is the same as bearing to station. The two pointers should align. VOR and TACAN use magnetic bearings.

Screen_221229_195546.jpg

Screen_221229_195609.jpg

Edited by some1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

• 4 months later...

The issue is still present in the latest open beta in all three navigation modes: VOR, TACAN and also for RNAV. 

Basically CDI always shows the aircraft off course by the amount of magnetic declination.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Yeah, but now that the GPS is fixed, the issue is also visible with GPS navigation mode. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thirded. Same issue. Noticed while validating some approach charts ingame and found the MB339 to be way off where it should be (mission set to same year as charts obv). Issue confirmed by flying same approach in a C101 where issue not present. Hope this gets fixed. Navigation a pretty big deal lol. 

Amusingly, put a portable TACAN next to a VOR, and program them both in the MB339 cockpit and switch VOR / TACAN nav and notice there's a significant difference between its position finding. 

Edited by Freefall231
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hsi compass card shows magnetic direction indeed, but CDI deviation needle behaves like it's using true course.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

To better illustrate the issue.

How it should work: beacon at bearing 25, CDI centered when course set to 25.

image.jpeg

How it looks in MB-339: beacon at 25, CDI centered when set to 37 (25 + magnetic declination of the map)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by some1
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

And it shouldn't.  VOR and TACAN radials are oriented to magnetic north. No HSI in real life behaves like that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/23/2023 at 7:26 AM, some1 said:

it shouldn't.  VOR and TACAN radials are oriented to magnetic north.

Current HSI behaviour in DCS Open Beta is that 

✅ VOR HSI course setting references Magnetic and takes Mvar into account

❌ TACAN and ❓ RNAV HSI course settings reference TRUE

The HSI compass card it's self displays Magnetic heading and the AHRS/GPS CDU TRUE

Although the AHRS/GPS uses TRUE for it's internal calculations like an INS aligned to the rotation of the earth / TRUE North - it'd would make sense that Magnetic bearings are displayed to the pilot to be consistent with the HSI (magnetic) heading and information/signals i.e. Tacan/VOR radials usually reference magnetic North. However the exact MB-339A behaviour would need confirming with a SME.

Tested in Caucasus and Nevada maps, DCS Open Beta Multi-thread 2.9.1.48335

• Like 1

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

57 minutes ago, Ramsay said:

VOR HSI course setting references Magnetic and takes Mvar into account

No, VOR is equally broken. You can test it in the attached mission by tuning into 116.90Mhz McCarran VOR. 

57 minutes ago, Ramsay said:

Although the AHRS/GPS uses TRUE for it's internal calculations like an INS aligned to the rotation of the earth

AHRS is not an INS. It cannot sense true north and it is not doing any calculations related to that. The only sensor it has to orient HSI is magnetic.

GPS has a built in magvar database (it can even display magvar to the pilot) and is perfectly capable of displaying magnetic bearings and course deviation. In fact, it already correctly outputs magnetic waypoint bearing for the HSI needle, but not the course deviation for the CDI. 

It makes absolutely no sense to steer CDI using True as it does now.

mb339_fail.miz

Edited by some1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, some1 said:

VOR is equally broken. You can test it in the attached mission by tuning into 116.90Mhz McCarran VOR.

As said, I took time to test in both Caucasus and Nevada maps, I do not see an issue with the VOR HSI course deviation in the current Open Beta.

MB-339A HSI LAS VOR Test from Nellis, Nevada, Screen_231125_210656.jpg

I do see the problem with TACAN and RNAV i.e. using RNAV to LAS, I would set the HSI course to 212° to zero the deviation.

Edited by Ramsay
  • Like 1

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Ok, so it looks like for VOR the CDI is correct, but the HSI bearing needle is not. These two needles should align as I explained in the first post. The bearing needle should point to 200 on the HSI, yet on your screenshot it points to 188, which is neither magnetic nor true bearing to station. 

The GPS showing true bearing to waypoint (BRG 211) also contradicts what's written in IndiaFoxtEcho's own MB-339 manual:

image.jpeg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/2/2023 at 10:55 AM, 6S.Duke said:

Now should be fixed.

We will include the fix as soon as possible.

Testing with the latest Open Beta 2.9.2.49629 - this doesn't seem fixed i.e. behaviour with RNAV and TACAN CDI, etc. remains the same when tested from Nellis.

Testing with the latest Open Beta 2.9.2.49629 - this doesn't seem fixed i.e. behaviour with RNAV and TACAN CDI, etc. remains the same when tested from Nellis.
I confirm that the fix wasn't included with this patch. It will.be included with the next one

Inviato dal mio SM-F731B utilizzando Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 1 month later...