2023 and Beyond- F-4 Screenshots and Discussion

Czechnology

Not posting any screenies myself, but did note a few things.

1) Exterior model looks DONE. They did make use of the same paint scheme a good few times, but they did show variation. Included some nice close ups, and gave use a look down into the cockpit from outside, HOWEVEr

2) Very keenly noticed, that while there were in general very few cockpit view shots for the video, we definitely did not get any for the F-4. Maybe still getting the finishing touches in on it?

3) We did see weapon releases! Bombs specifically, no A/A missiles, and I was hoping to see a gun burst personally, but the weapon system does seem to be in. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Omega417 said:

Will it still look as good after i turn all settings to minimum to run it on my shtbox?

Its a Phantom - it will still be beautifugly and hit mach 2 even if you pixelate it to Minecraft level!

Edited by Bozon
  • Like 3

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

16 minutes ago, Czechnology said:

I saw it, I know, it's beautiful

Heh, you've seen screenshots from the video, I'm talking the full monty renders and better closeups. Nevermind when we really get rolling with the paint jobs.

• Like 2

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

From the video I noticed a few things.

-No AN-ANR-101 antennas or Target Identification System Electro-Optic (TISEO), so no DMAS (Digital Modular Avionics System)

So judging from Iron Mikes FAQ post the birds used here represent the  "Classic era" F4Es 

Super excited to see some internals and the late model airframe as well! 

null

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, F-2 said:

So apparently the F-4F got the ability to use AIM-9L in the first peace rhine update in the early 80s. Could the standard F-4 use AIM-9 natively? Is something being teased?

If you're asking if F-4E's could carry the AIM-9L the answer is yes!

First I thought that they might just be place holders for the sake of the trailer but then it would've made sense to use the AIM-9P model instead so you may be on to something??

1 hour ago, SgtPappy said:

If you're asking if F-4E's could carry the AIM-9L the answer is yes!

First I thought that they might just be place holders for the sake of the trailer but then it would've made sense to use the AIM-9P model instead so you may be on to something??

It seems pretty intentional. The LAU-7 pylons for the AIM-9Ls were not authorized for USAF F-4Es. LAU-105s would be used if it was a USAF jet. LAU-7s were used however in place of AERO 3s by the USAF early in the F-4E’s service but they were omitted from the manual by 1990. 

-Tinkerer, Certified F-14 and AIM-54 Nut | Discord: @dsplayer

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E
Maps: Caucasus, Marianas, South Atlantic, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

I wonder if this is hinting ICE. Peace Rhine I predates ICE but that would be a very odd Phantom to simulate. Apparently unlike the Greek modernized phantom the German planes pretty much have the same cockpit and Radar scope.

2 hours ago, F-2 said:

I wonder if this is hinting ICE. Peace Rhine I predates ICE but that would be a very odd Phantom to simulate. Apparently unlike the Greek modernized phantom the German planes pretty much have the same cockpit and Radar scope.

No, they aren't doing any of that.

The F-4F wasn't the only jet referenced, they also came over and referenced US Es. German skins only mean exactly that, E's with German/F-4F skins to represent them in DCS, but they are not being modeled full fidelity.

• Like 3

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

17 hours ago, Goldeagle365 said:

So judging from Iron Mikes FAQ post the birds used here represent the  "Classic era" F4Es

Yep, but according to the screenshots it does seem to have slats, so no early "hard wing" F-4E. Which is good, as that makes it even more similar to the F-4F (pre-ICE) . The -F (pre-ICE) is really that close to the F-4E that it's understandable HB doesn't want to spend time on the -F variant. With the -E I can easily pretend I'm flying an -F (pre-ICE) model, which being German is my favourite of course.

*Edit*

Just noted that HB had always planned to release a slatted -E version and not the early hard-wing F-4E:

We will be launching two variants of the -E; a “classic era” F-4E (blocks 36-45 with updates retrofitted in 1974 and before, including new slats, DSCG and AGM-65) as well as an upgraded (DMAS) version of the aircraft in one package.

Just rereading that again, I'm surprised the F-4E is supposed to have AGM-65 capability pre-DMAS...  so far I thought the Mavs only came with DMAS.

Edited by Volator
point out pre-ICE update
  • Like 2

Yes, and of course the initial -F didn't have the analogue weapon control computer the -E (DSCG) had, which makes weapon delivery an experience similar to what we have in the F-5E right now I assume.

That said, posts above make me believe the DSCG -E wasn't that far from mentioned experience either (no CCIP for example) and operated with reticle depression and fixed speed/altitude/dive angle, except that it was supposed to have more fancy modes like offset bombing. 

Are there just F-4E's in the video?  Some of the nose shots seem to be fooling me and it makes me think there were B/C/ or D's in there as well.   Crossing my fingers they're working on the naval variants concurrently, here's to hoping.   

1 minute ago, Heimz said:

Are there just F-4E's in the video?  Some of the nose shots seem to be fooling me and it makes me think there were B/C/ or D's in there as well.   Crossing my fingers they're working on the naval variants concurrently, here's to hoping.   

Highly doubt it. We probably won't see more F-4 variants until the EF release. 

• Like 4

Current Modules: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, F-15E, F-4E, AV-8B, Mirage 2KC, Mirage F-1, Mig-21, AJS-37, A-10C II, F-5E, AH-64D, UH-1H, Ka-50 BS2/BS3, Mi-8MTV2, Mi-24P, SA342, Spitfire, P-47D, BF-109K, Mosquito
Tech Pack: WWII Assets
Terrain: Syria, Sinai, NTTR

24 minutes ago, RevampedGrunt said:

Highly doubt it. We probably won't see more F-4 variants until the EF release. 

I'm hoping we don't see more F-4 variants till after the A-6 release since it was supposed to be an unannounced module we know now is the F-4E, then the Eurofighter, and then the A-6E

• Like 5

Aircraft: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, F-5E, FC3, AV-8B, Mirage 2000C, L-39, Huey, F-86, P-51, P-47, Spitfire, Mosquito, Supercarrier

Maps: Persian Gulf, Syria, NTTR, Marianas, Normandy 2, Channel

Upcoming Modules Wishlist: A-7E, A-6E, F-4, F-8J, MiG-17F, A-1H, F-100D, Kola Peninsula