How to set speed brake setting?

Hi. How do I set the keyboard setting so that pressing Left_CTRL sets the speed brake to maximum forward and Left_SHIFT sets the speed brake to maximum aft (no speed brake or normal)?  

The idea is to just have a single keyboard press instead of having to press the speed brake keyboard settings above continuously.

Also, how do I determine speed brake status on the panel? Is there an indicator on the HUD?

Thank you.

Win Pro 10, A-10c (rarely used, but started with Falcon AT!), P3D v4 (100+ add-ons mostly ORBX), i7-8700k, 16 GB 3200 Mhz RAM, Gigabyte Z370M DS3H, Corsair water cooler, EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 650W, PNY GTX 1070ti, Dell 27" G-sync monitor, Logitech 3D Pro, NVMe OS drive, TB's of free space on SSD.

6 minutes ago, bofhlusr said:

Hi. How do I set the keyboard setting so that pressing Left_CTRL sets the speed brake to maximum forward and Left_SHIFT sets the speed brake to maximum aft (no speed brake or normal)?  

The idea is to just have a single keyboard press instead of having to press the speed brake keyboard settings above continuously.

Also, how do I determine speed brake status on the panel? Is there an indicator on the HUD?

Thank you.

I've not seen a control bind for speed brake fully open.  Since the speed brakes take a little more than 3 seconds to fully open, if you had a keybind app like Joystick Gremlin, you could make it hold the button for you for 4 seconds.

There is no speed brake status or indicator in the cockpit.  You're expected to look out the window to verify they're deployed

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bofhlusr said:

... Also, how do I determine speed brake status on the panel? Is there an indicator on the HUD?

Not on the HUD, but there is a gauge on the landing gear panel:

Jhk0n1x.jpg

1 hour ago, jaylw314 said:

There is no speed brake status or indicator in the cockpit.  You're expected to look out the window to verify they're deployed

Not correct, there is a flaps gauge.

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

1 minute ago, Rudel_chw said:

Not on the HUD, but there is a gauge on the landing gear panel:

Jhk0n1x.jpg

Not correct, there is a flaps gauge.

Now I'm confused.  I think flaps are different from the speed brake.  I need the speed brake since I'm told the A10 does not have reverse thrusters (which are available in commercial jets) when landing at short airfields.

Win Pro 10, A-10c (rarely used, but started with Falcon AT!), P3D v4 (100+ add-ons mostly ORBX), i7-8700k, 16 GB 3200 Mhz RAM, Gigabyte Z370M DS3H, Corsair water cooler, EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 650W, PNY GTX 1070ti, Dell 27" G-sync monitor, Logitech 3D Pro, NVMe OS drive, TB's of free space on SSD.

1 hour ago, bofhlusr said:

Now I'm confused. 

No .. sorry sorry 😚 I was the confused one ...  somehow I was with my head twisted, there is no gauge for speed brake position.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Thank you for the follow-up and the clarification. 

@bofhlusr: If you are willing to do a little .LUA editing, it's very easy to create the command you wish. As you mention you want to set it up as a keyboard command I will focus on that.

When you open the file "default.lua" under "Drive\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\A-10C_2\Input\A-10C_2\keyboard" and do a Search/Find for "speedbrake" you will see this line of code:

{combos = {{key = 'B', reformers = {'LCtrl'}}}, 	down = iCommandPlane_HOTAS_SpeedBrakeSwitchAft, up = iCommandPlane_HOTAS_SpeedBrakeSwitchCenter, name = _('HOTAS Speed Brake Switch Aft'), category = _('HOTAS')},

I break it down:
1. "combos = {{key = 'B', reformers = {'LCtrl'}}}": This defines a default binding of the command to LCtrl + B
2. "down = iCommandPlane_HOTAS_SpeedBrakeSwitchAft": when you push the button down, it will simulate the "speedbrake switch Aft" on the throttle, which makes the speedbrake extend
3. "up = iCommandPlane_HOTAS_SpeedBrakeSwitchCenter": when you release the button, it simulates "speedbrake switch to center" on the throttle, which stops the movement
4. "name = _('HOTAS Speed Brake Switch Aft')" : this defines the name for the binding in Options/Controls

You do not want the part 3, and you don't need a default binding.
So we define a new command by adding this line of code:

{down = iCommandPlane_HOTAS_SpeedBrakeSwitchAft, name = _('HOTAS Speed Brake Extend Full'), category = _('HOTAS')},

You can use any name you like as long as it doesn't duplicate an existing name.
After saving your change, you start DCS World and bind the new command to a keyboard button or combination. Ready to go!
You need to make a backup of the modified "default.lua" because ED will restore the original file when you update or repair. (I use OvGME because I have lots of additions.)

PS: Use the free Notepad++ for .lua editing!

Edited by LeCuvier
  • Thanks 2

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5