F-4E Preorders?

Horns

Just wondering if Heatblur expect to offer preorders when the time comes, or will you just list it once it enters Early Access? According to Wags here preorders are still a thing, even though they may not have been done lately.

Thanks

Edited by Horns
Added link to other thread

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

DSD Flight Series button controller, XK-24, Oculus Rift (HM-A)

Forgive me if I fail to see the logic behind a pre-order piece of software. What am I missing unless the pre-orders are used to fund the project.

Pre-orders are a thing to ensure you get a piece of the available stock on the immediate release of a physical product. If you can just purchase the item upon release whenever you like, what is the point in pre-ordering it?

• Like 2

AMD 7900x3D | Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Hero | 64GB DC DDR5 6400 Ram | MSI Suprim RTX 4090 Liquid X | 2 x Kingston Fury 4TB Gen4 NVME | Corsair HX1500i PSU | NZXT H7 Flow | Liquid Cooled CPU & GPU | HP Reverb G2 | LG 48" 4K OLED | Winwing HOTAS

1 minute ago, Elf1606688794 said:

The Tomcat and Supercarrier are Heatblur products and both were offered on preorders. So maybe it will be a preorder, maybe not. 😉

Yeah, HB are ofc the only ones who can give a definitive answer, so I’m hoping @IronMike or someone will reply

1 minute ago, trevoC said:

Forgive me if I fail to see the logic behind a pre-order piece of software. What am I missing unless the pre-orders are used to fund the project.

Pre-orders are a thing to ensure you get a piece of the available stock on the immediate release of a physical product. If you can just purchase the item upon release whenever you like, what is the point in pre-ordering it?

There is generally a discount involved, and it’s a way to get some of the devs’ financial outlay back to them faster

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

4 minutes ago, trevoC said:

Pre-orders are a thing to ensure you get a piece of the available stock on the immediate release of a physical product. If you can just purchase the item upon release whenever you like, [b]what is the point in pre-ordering it?[/b]

Pre-orders let me throw my money at them sooner.

• Like 3

more discount than early access?

• Like 1

AMD 7900x3D | Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Hero | 64GB DC DDR5 6400 Ram | MSI Suprim RTX 4090 Liquid X | 2 x Kingston Fury 4TB Gen4 NVME | Corsair HX1500i PSU | NZXT H7 Flow | Liquid Cooled CPU & GPU | HP Reverb G2 | LG 48" 4K OLED | Winwing HOTAS

5 minutes ago, trevoC said:

Usually yes, but that's up to the publisher. Not all of them offer the same level of discount. Being ED it's usually 30% of in pre-order, 20% early access, but I don't recall what HB did when Tomcat happened, I don't think they offered massive discounts, they don't even now.

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

12 minutes ago, trevoC said:

I had thought so, but actually now I’m not sure…

My own interest is more about whether we can expect a preorder window between the 'first look' videos and the release into EA. If HB are doing preorders we'll know at any point before the pre-order gets listed we'll have between a couple of weeks and a few months before the module becomes available. Doesn't make a difference now, but once we start seeing hype videos it might. Preorders went for a few months for the F-14.

Edited by Horns
Rephrase

8 minutes ago, Horns said:

I had thought so, but actually now I’m not sure…

My own interest is more about how we can expect the pre-launch schedule to go

By the looks of it (Heatblut announcement for further details) it will be a full module and mostly feature complete for the early model they announced. It was the same with Tomcat, and I don't think it'll have any huge discount if it's full module.

Schedule itself, just await patiently like everybody else 🤣 . I don't think it'll take a lot now from the "unveil" said by HB to release.

• Like 1

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

34 minutes ago, Elf1606688794 said:

The Tomcat and Supercarrier are Heatblur products and both were offered on preorders. So maybe it will be a preorder, maybe not.

Supercarrier is not a Heatblur product.  It's made by ED which is why the Forrestal has no deck crew.

• Like 2

Aircraft: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, F-5E, FC3, AV-8B, Mirage 2000C, L-39, Huey, F-86, P-51, P-47, Spitfire, Mosquito, Supercarrier

Maps: Persian Gulf, Syria, NTTR, Marianas, Normandy 2, Channel

Upcoming Modules Wishlist: A-7E, A-6E, F-4, F-8J, MiG-17F, A-1H, F-100D, Kola Peninsula

9 minutes ago, Ala13_ManOWar said:

By the looks of it (Heatblut announcement for further details) it will be a full module and mostly feature complete for the early model they announced. It was the same with Tomcat, and I don't think it'll have any huge discount if it's full module.

Schedule itself, just await patiently like everybody else 🤣 . I don't think it'll take a lot now from the "unveil" said by HB to release.

Yeah, agreed about waiting patiently - personally, I think the more complete it is when we get our hands on it the better. I made some comments in another thread that assumed a preorder window (I didn't realize that's not a given anymore), so if I gave the wrong information I'd like to go back and put my hand up is all 🙂 If Mike is a little too busy right now that's perfectly understandable!

just struck me strange to pre-order an item that can't be out of stock.

I own almost all the modules and I don't ever remember a pre-order situation but I do come and go from DCS so many may have happened during my absence.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, trevoC said:

just struck me strange to pre-order an item that can't be out of stock.

I own almost all the modules and I don't ever remember a pre-order situation but I do come and go from DCS so many may have happened during my absence.

The F-14, F-16, F/A-18, A-10C Update, etc all had pre-purchases. 

AH-64 also had a pre-order in August or October of 2021 and then came out after a delay or two. 

Current Modules: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, F-15E, F-4E, AV-8B, Mirage 2KC, Mirage F-1, Mig-21, AJS-37, A-10C II, F-5E, AH-64D, UH-1H, Ka-50 BS2/BS3, Mi-8MTV2, Mi-24P, SA342, Spitfire, P-47D, BF-109K, Mosquito
Tech Pack: WWII Assets
Terrain: Syria, Sinai, NTTR

To add to the list, the Mosquito also had a preorder and Razbam has stated the Strike Eagle will have a preorder as well.

Aircraft: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, F-5E, FC3, AV-8B, Mirage 2000C, L-39, Huey, F-86, P-51, P-47, Spitfire, Mosquito, Supercarrier

Maps: Persian Gulf, Syria, NTTR, Marianas, Normandy 2, Channel

Upcoming Modules Wishlist: A-7E, A-6E, F-4, F-8J, MiG-17F, A-1H, F-100D, Kola Peninsula

On 1/12/2023 at 7:56 PM, trevoC said:

Forgive me if I fail to see the logic behind a pre-order piece of software.

From a customer's perspective they can commit a sale sight-unseen and satisfy a craving, maybe even get some bragging rights (the more extreme version of this is crowd-funding a project. My opinion an that model is ambiguous at best). All benefits are intangible, and the risk is entirely the customer's.

From the vendor's perspective the logic is compelling:

• They can generate income early to pay off funding debt, and reduce the outstanding interest fees
  • They have a first indication of customer demand, and can adjust the planned marketing phase accordingly
  • They can point to a loyal customer base who are willing to purchase high-risk, sight unseen as a proof of high quality and good reputation. This they can use to convince potential investors to come aboard, or get better terms on financing/refinancing a project. 
  • The pre-sales phase cannot be slowed or sabotaged by bad reviews (a risk even perfect products run - because: Internet)
  • Done correctly, a pre-sales phase can generate buzz and therefore free marketing

So am I crazy enough to fork over my hard-earned cash for a product sight-unseen, high-risk to be exploited by HB's management?

You bet I am.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, cfrag said:

From a customer's perspective they can commit a sale sight-unseen and satisfy a craving, maybe even get some bragging rights (the more extreme version of this is crowd-funding a project. My opinion an that model is ambiguous at best). All benefits are intangible, and the risk is entirely the customer's.

From the vendor's perspective the logic is compelling:

• They can generate income early to pay off funding debt, and reduce the outstanding interest fees
  • They have a first indication of customer demand, and can adjust the planned marketing phase accordingly
  • They can point to a loyal customer base who are willing to purchase high-risk, sight unseen as a proof of high quality and good reputation. This they can use to convince potential investors to come aboard, or get better terms on financing/refinancing a project. 
  • The pre-sales phase cannot be slowed or sabotaged by bad reviews (a risk even perfect products run - because: Internet)
  • Done correctly, a pre-sales phase can generate buzz and therefore free marketing

So am I crazy enough to fork over my hard-earned cash for a product sight-unseen, high-risk to be exploited by HB's management?

You bet I am.

What ever are you talking about. 

• Like 1

I didn't say I didn't see the logic for the developer. That part is apparent. You can't really compare crowd funding a product to pre-ordering a finished product.

• Like 2