Track IR

A BIG yes... been using it for years. Started of with a TIR 1, now have the TIR 4 already since release in 2006. Still works super after all these years.

BIG BIG Pro: There is no way to go back to joystick or keyboard to look around once you used this.

Minor Cons:
- Need to wear a baseball cap to put the provided trackclip on or buy a separate Trackclip Pro but that last one hooks you up with a cable.
- Sudden rays on sunlight can mess things up, certainly with the trackhat.

Personal con: On fast moving terrain it can get a little stuttery due to the TrackIR pull rate not in sync with your FPS rate. You can avoid this by capping your FPS to the pullrate of the TrackIR (or a division of it). I cap my FPS to 60 and then it's a supersmooth ride. But not everybody sees this as a problem.

There are other options too like Tobi Eye Tracker, a DIY setup with a webcam and OpenTrack software or a setup with your cell phone and face tracking but never tried any of these. Can't compare.

• Like 2

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Thanks Lange,

Would it clip onto my headset? I always use one to save my long suffering lady from all the bangs and whooshes etc. Don't fancy, or even own, a baseball cap.

Edited by Lee1

15 minutes ago, Lee1 said:

Thanks Lange,

Would it clip onto my headset? I always use one to save my long suffering lady from all the bangs and whooshes etc. Don't fancy, or even own, a baseball cap.

pro clip version with the sensor at the corner of the monitor.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by silverdevil

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

3 hours ago, Lee1 said:

Thanks Lange,

The regular clip isn't made for that (should be clipped onto the cap of the baseball cap) but i guess you can stick it onto a headset too.
The Pro clip is actually made to clip on the side of a headset as Silverdevil shows.
I never got a Pro clip because at first they where very fragile, lots of reports that they broke quickly. Don't know the current state. 

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

On 1/14/2023 at 3:50 PM, Lange_666 said:

The regular clip isn't made for that (should be clipped onto the cap of the baseball cap) but i guess you can stick it onto a headset too.
The Pro clip is actually made to clip on the side of a headset as Silverdevil shows.
I never got a Pro clip because at first they where very fragile, lots of reports that they broke quickly. Don't know the current state. 

i had an early one break. it fell to the floor very roughly. though i was able to fix. glue, paper clips, and some electrical tape to hold it like a splint.  i got another whole set which seemed to be a bit stronger. i have had it since Apr 2018.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely recommend.   I sold my TrackIR 5 long ago when I switched to VR, but now that I'll be gaming on the road with a laptop, I plan to order another TrackIR 5 Pro as soon as possible.

The best thing I can say is that after configuring it to your liking you literally forget that you're using it.   It's just that natural to turn your head to look around the game world that you don't think about the hardware that makes it possible.