Foveated Rendering Support for DCS

hannibal

8 minutes ago, Sile said:

uh. how can i test if my eye tracking is working. something feels wrong. 

i don't think i have missed a step and the log looks promissing (attatched). openxr Explorer shows it correctly. DCS starts fine. the settings have an effect, but not the expected:

but when i reduce horizontal_focus_section=0.2 and vertical_focus_section=0.2 they only reduce overall resolution - i expected to be able to see the edges of focus area.

XR_APILAYER_MBUCCHIA_meta_foveated.log 2.09 kB · 3 downloads

You can try adding a line "debug_focus_view=1" in the settings file, which will only show the foveated view and make it really obvious whether it's following your gaze.

This account is now inactive and not monitored.

Gerade eben schrieb mbucchia:

You can try adding a line "debug_focus_view=1" in the settings file, which will only show the foveated view and make it really obvious whether it's following your gaze.

Nevermind. I forgot to calibrate eye tracking in the headset. Never used it before. *sweatsmile*

It works!

P.S.: Maybe add this step in the wiki as a step or troubleshooting.

P.P.S.: And thank you!!!!

Edited by Sile

4 minutes ago, biotech said:

can't even launch DCS with it. everything of prerequisites is done, OXRTK and other OXR layers is off, oculus debug tool in default settings.

trying to start DCS, and in few seconds got com.oculus.bodyapiservice error in headset. then DCS crashes.

XR_APILAYER_MBUCCHIA_meta_foveated.log 2.2 kB · 0 downloads

Had the same issue. My developer mode was not enabled in the Oculus Mobile App. Make sure it is enabled there too!

Edited by Tepnox
  • Thanks 2

Ryzen 7 5800X3D // 64 GB RAM // RTX 4090 // Quest Pro // Quest 3

OK so after the choppy performance with FR vs without, I deleted all shader cache and performed a slow repair (including delete extra files) via skatezilla tool then deleted options.lua.  Rebooted PC and set up options again after loading up DCS.  Tried again with same scenario and options (F-18/Free Flight/Persian Gulf) and instantly noticed the choppies were gone.  Flew around a few more minutes and remained smooth.  Cranked up options and still smooth as silk SO I seem to have fixed my choppiness issue.  Hope that helps others with the same issue.

13 minutes ago, gdoggyc said:

OK so after the choppy performance with FR vs without, I deleted all shader cache and performed a slow repair (including delete extra files) via skatezilla tool then deleted options.lua.  Rebooted PC and set up options again after loading up DCS.  Tried again with same scenario and options (F-18/Free Flight/Persian Gulf) and instantly noticed the choppies were gone.  Flew around a few more minutes and remained smooth.  Cranked up options and still smooth as silk SO I seem to have fixed my choppiness issue.  Hope that helps others with the same issue.

This did not work on my end. Still getting dropped application frames, even in the main menu.

1 hour ago, biotech said:

can't even launch DCS with it. everything of prerequisites is done, OXRTK and other OXR layers is off, oculus debug tool in default settings.

trying to start DCS, and in few seconds got com.oculus.bodyapiservice error in headset. then DCS crashes.

XR_APILAYER_MBUCCHIA_meta_foveated.log 2.2 kB · 2 downloads

That is the "your Developer Mode isn't correctly setup" issue. Not something I can do anything about and this is part of my rant about "why are you doing this to us Meta?".

Best I can advise you is to:

- Make sure Developer mode is enabled from both the PC and Android app.

- Try a hard reset of your device and set up the Developer mode again.

- Send a bug report to Oculus. IT IS THEIR PROBLEM TO FIX.

Hopefully you get some luck.

1 hour ago, Sile said:

P.S.: Maybe add this step in the wiki as a step or troubleshooting.

That would be great though I don't have a Quest Pro so I don't even know where to do that. If you can provide some screenshots of the process, I'm happy to add them to the wiki!

Thanks!

EDIT: Is it this menu (screenshot from Google):

Screen-Shot-2022-10-24-at-11.07.57-AM-95

Edited by mbucchia
  • Thanks 1

Just now, biotech said:

problem solved

tested for few minutes...

amazing work, @mbucchia!

Nice, so was it just the Developer mode on phone app? I am adding a section to Troubleshooting with your exact error message so we hopefully catch this easier!

Только что, mbucchia сказал:

Nice, so was it just the Developer mode on phone app?

yep. I thought it would be enough to enable google authenticator for two-factor authentication, but i had to also specify a phone number in my meta quest account. after that the option in compaion app became available.

Спойлер

i7 13700KF @ 5,4 GHz; DDR5 64GB RAM; Palit RTX 4090; AOC AG352UCG 35" 3440x1440; Win11.
Oculus Quest Pro.
"Marksman-L" rudder by MyCyJIbMaHuH ; VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base; VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip; VPC MongoosT-50CM Throttle.

My settings for VR

vor 30 Minuten schrieb mbucchia:

That would be great though I don't have a Quest Pro so I don't even know where to do that. If you can provide some screenshots of the process, I'm happy to add them to the wiki!

Thanks!

EDIT: Is it this menu (screenshot from Google):

Screen-Shot-2022-10-24-at-11.07.57-AM-95

Yes, this is the correct location!

The user get's guided through the calibration process by a wizzard after clicking "calibrate".

Edited by Sile

I'm pretty sure I've got it working, I can see the resolution changes in my peripheral vision when I move my eyes, but it doesn't seem to be resulting in any performance improvements. 

I've been monitoring GPU use using task manager and It's no different than when I run DCS using the non MT option (launch oculus VR in oculus VR mode).

I've followed all the steps and as I say I can see the resolution change if I look for it but for some reason it just isn't resulting in improved performance. 

Any ideas?

Thanks

RTX 4090, AMD 5800x3D, 32GB Ram 

I am still having issues with dropped application frames. DCS MT with OpenXR and fixed FOV runs perfectly fine.

Using this Plugin (and disabled DCS in OpenXR toolkit) the dynamic FOV works with the eye-tracking but i get dropped application frames.

Here are the performance graphs between DCS MT OpenXR and DCS MT with QuestPro FOV-Plugin - this is in the main-menu of DCS:

DCS MT OpenXR DCS MT  QuestPro FOV-Plugin
image.png image.png
image.png image.png
image.png image.png
image.png image.png
image.png image.png
image.png image.png

Looks like to me there is an application render timing problem. The encoder and compositor stats looking fine.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

3 hours ago, mbucchia said:

This is a bug in DCS itself. Not much can be done about it unfortunately (maybe more people can report it to ED now). If you own Pavlov VR (the other game with quad views support) the bug isn't there and it shows you how it's meant to be done).

One solution might be to slightly increase the size of the focus view, but this will cost you performance. 

AFAIK the Aero users haven't found this bug too bothersome though. Did you make sure to disable the 2 effects listed in the instructions?

In the DCS World settings, you must disable 'VR' -> 'Bloom effect' and 'System' -> 'Lens Effects' as they produced poor visuals when using foveated rendering

It seems that turning off Bloom Effect has solved the darker rectangle. Thanks for poking me / giving me a slap 😉

1 hour ago, Tepnox said:

I am still having issues with dropped application frames. DCS MT with OpenXR and fixed FOV runs perfectly fine.

Using this Plugin (and disabled DCS in OpenXR toolkit) the dynamic FOV works with the eye-tracking but i get dropped application frames.

Here are the performance graphs between DCS MT OpenXR and DCS MT with QuestPro FOV-Plugin - this is in the main-menu of DCS:

DCS MT OpenXR DCS MT  QuestPro FOV-Plugin
image.png image.png
image.png image.png
image.png image.png
image.png image.png
image.png image.png
image.png image.png

Looks like to me there is an application render timing problem. The encoder and compositor stats looking fine.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Have you checked that nothing in the background is messing with your CPU? Yesterday, I was having that problem and it was EDGE doing some good 24% of CPU use just because is that great. 

Could you send a capture of the Application Rendering Timing without Turbo Mode enabled? You´ve already attached one here but it doesn´t show any info unless you disable the Turbo Mode.

25 minutes ago, mimamema said:

Have you checked that nothing in the background is messing with your CPU? Yesterday, I was having that problem and it was EDGE doing some good 24% of CPU use just because is that great. 

Could you send a capture of the Application Rendering Timing without Turbo Mode enabled? You´ve already attached one here but it doesn´t show any info unless you disable the Turbo Mode.

No unnormal background activity here.

These are the results with Turbo Mode off:

DCS MT OpenXR

DCS MT  QuestPro FOV-Plugin

image.png image.png

Now the FPS gets capped at 45 FPS with turbo-mode off. I really don't understand that behavior.

As you can see: ASW is turned off.

image.png

This is my log for the FOV-Plugin:

image.png

35 minutes ago, Tepnox said:

DCS MT OpenXR

image.png image.png

Now the FPS gets capped at 45 FPS with turbo-mode off. I really don't understand that behavior.

image.png

image.png

Something looks off to me, the resolution is very high. This is mine, what is your config in the Oculus app? are you using OTT or ODT to do some more supersampling?null

image.png

43 minutes ago, Tepnox said:

DCS MT OpenXR

image.png image.png

image.png

image.png

If I use your same settings for FOV 

null

image.png

Wow, yeah, that resolution looks super high to me too. Here is mine:

2023-06-21 16:28:04 -0400: Recommended peripheral resolution: 1126x1158 (0.400x density)
2023-06-21 16:28:04 -0400: Recommended focus resolution: 1548x1592 (1.100x density)

And that's with 1.5x render resolution on the Graphics Preferences box (5408x2736, 90hz) in the Oculus App. @Tepnox's resolution is  easily double of mine.

I am using 5408*2736 @ 90Hz setting in Oculus Home.

Additionally 1.3 Supersampling in OTT - this translates to 3664*3760 pixels per eye. 

Works great with DCS in OpenXR. These settings also work great with MSFS and enabled Dynamic FOV rendering via OpenXR. 

And yes, that is a very high resolution but I am a sucker for maximum clarity and sharpness - I am fine with 45FPS and ASW on and in Multiplayer ASW off. 

I already tested without extra supersampling but the issue is still the same. 

Edited by Tepnox

4 minutes ago, Tepnox said:

Additionally 1.3 Supersampling in OTT - this translates to 3664*3760 pixels per eye. 

Works great with DCS in OpenXR. These settings also work great with MSFS and enabled Dynamic FOV rendering via OpenXR. 

And yes, that is a very high resolution but I am a sucker for maximum clarity and sharpness - I am fine with 45FPS and ASW on and in Multiplayer ASW off. 

Another sucker for maximun clarity here (with 4090) 😉

But... why 1.5 in oculus home and 1.3 in OTT... why not 1 in oculus home (default, without touch), and 1.8 in OTT?

@mbucchia Can you tell me what quad view in the log exactly means? Does the image gets rendered 4 times with eye-tracking instead of 2 times? Am I having possibly a bandwidth problem with a very high baseline resolution despite the fact using a 4090 and the GPU load is not maxed out?

I am quite irritated because in MSFS the dynamic FOV rendering works very well with OpenXR for me with exactly the same baseline settings.

Thanks mbucchia, thanks...

The performance is awesome, but with the default configuration, I perceive too much the changes in the (horrendous) VR DCS clouds (in HIGH) by the peripheral view when I don't look at them directly; I understand that I will have to try to change parameters in the settings.conf to make the "defined rectangle" bigger so as not to notice it so much... but, it is normal to perceive the change in resolution in peripheral vision?

Edited by gonvise

34 minutes ago, Tepnox said:

I already tested without extra supersampling but the issue is still the same. 

FYI, your frames drop/performance problem it's not happening to me with meta-foveated and "a little high" multiplier. 

These are my settings, I have a 4090.

all in OTT

PD: 1.6

bitrate:960

encoder res: 3905

and have you calibrated eye tracking and disable bloom and lens in DCS?

PD: And ASW on

Edited by gonvise

1 minute ago, gonvise said:

FYI, your frames drop/performance problem it's not happening to me with meta-foveated and "a little high" multiplier. 

These are my settings, I have a 4090.

all in OTT

PD: 1.6

bitrate:960

encoder res: 3905

and have you calibrated eye tracking and disable bloom and lens in DCS?

FOV is calibrated, disabled Bloom and Lens Flare. 

I will try your standard setting Oculus Home and additional OTT Supersampling tomorrow.

Maybe there is some cross section configuration problem here the other way around. I don't know. 

30 minutes ago, Tepnox said:

@mbucchia Can you tell me what quad view in the log exactly means? Does the image gets rendered 4 times with eye-tracking instead of 2 times? Am I having possibly a bandwidth problem with a very high baseline resolution despite the fact using a 4090 and the GPU load is not maxed out?

I am quite irritated because in MSFS the dynamic FOV rendering works very well with OpenXR for me with exactly the same baseline settings.

There's an entire page describing what it means on my site.

Have you considered trying the lower resolution that everyone else is using and have a good experience with so far? You're currently making the assumption that 1 pixel = 1 pixels, but this isn't what foveated rendering does.

If you are irritated, please uninstall the software 😄 

33 minutes ago, gonvise said:

it is normal to perceive the change in resolution in peripheral vision?

It varies from people to people, it's not universal. Though both with Aero and Quest Pro so far, it looks like the large majority of people are fine with the defaults.

Be sure to disable the two "bad" options in DCS, 'VR' -> 'Bloom effect' and 'System' -> 'Lens Effects' because the make things worse.

Also, you may have noted that there is a lighting bug in DCS that may create a different contrast between the two views. Nothing we can do except hope ED will fix that.