A question on your video card, and is it still able to handle the demands of DCS, and VR too?

Mine is a Nvidia 2080-ti. My CPU is 4.3 GHZ quad core, and Azus Z170 motherboard. It is hard getting good frames anymore. FPS is hard to get above 20FPS with VR and decent video settings. Flying IL-2 FPS is much better. How is everyone else doing without a high end computer? Thanx.

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

I have a i5-12600k 3.7 ghz (not overclocked) with a 3060ti. I have the same issues with my Quest 2.  Gave up on DCS until they optimize for VR.

IL2 is a dream on VR despite my paltry system with all graphics settings maxed out and my Quest 2 render resolution set at 5408x2736 🙂

• Like 1

i5 10400F - 2060 here. I know my gpu is pretty modest for VR but I manage. I'm staying on 2.7 until they fix their progressively worse performance patch after patch.

Il-2 looks and runs amazing but I'm fed up with ww2 planes after almost 20 years playing with them. So I don't have much choice. 

Edited by diego999

i7-4790k on a 1080 with a Rift S  i am happy that i can run most of the campaigns sofar on 40 fps. My settings are pretty low but i only had a limited timeframe in DCS 1.5 where everything looked beautiful and the performance was great on my monitor. Since i got the first KA-50 back in 2011 i sacrificed graphics over performance. 

Yeah performance for me was better in 2.7. in comparison to 2.8., but i really hope that multithreading and vulkan will fix that problem in 2 weeks! 😇

Specs:WIN10, I7-4790K, ASUS RANGER VII, 16GB G.Skill DDR3, GEFORCE 1080, NVME SSD, SSD, VIRPIL T-50 THROTTLE, K-51 COLLECTIVE, MS FFB2 (CH COMBATSTICK MOD), MFG CROSSWINDS, JETPAD, RIFT S

Modules:A10C, AH-64D, AJS-37, AV8B, BF109K4, CA, F/A18C, F14, F5EII, F86F, FC3, FW190A8, FW190D9, KA50, L39, M2000C, MI8TV2, MI24P, MIG15BIS, MIG19P, MIG21BIS, MIRAGE F1, P51D, SA342, SPITFIRE, UH1H, NORMANDY, PERSIAN GULF, CHANNEL, SYRIA

Thrustmaster TWCS Afterburner Detent
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=223776

My Frankenwinder ffb2 stick

1 hour ago, erniedaoage said:

i7-4790k on a 1080 with a Rift S  i am happy that i can run most of the campaigns sofar on 40 fps. My settings are pretty low but i only had a limited timeframe in DCS 1.5 where everything looked beautiful and the performance was great on my monitor. Since i got the first KA-50 back in 2011 i sacrificed graphics over performance. 

Yeah performance for me was better in 2.7. in comparison to 2.8., but i really hope that multithreading and vulkan will fix that problem in 2 weeks! 😇

What are your settings to get 40fps? Are you using ASW?

8600K|64 GB 3200|4090|m.2

http://www.blacksharkden.com/

Come join us!

21 hours ago, MADLOU1 said:

I have a i5-12600k 3.7 ghz (not overclocked) with a 3060ti. I have the same issues with my Quest 2.  Gave up on DCS until they optimize for VR.

IL2 is a dream on VR despite my paltry system with all graphics settings maxed out and my Quest 2 render resolution set at 5408x2736 🙂

that is high resolution ! Mine is 4k 2k 3840 x 2160 native resolution, HDMI on OLED TV.

I have to find a way to knock get the FPS, they were much better until very recently. Suffering below 20 FPS with everything in DCS.

Edited by Ramstein

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

Am 22.2.2023 um 02:10 schrieb MADLOU1:

I have a 6700k running at 4.7GHz and a 3060ti.

In combination with Quest 2 I can be very satisfied (basically) but in DCS VR 8GB VRam is simply the lower limit of the puke.

I can only use a render resolution of 41.. x 21.. (I don't know the exact numbers off the top of my head). Anything above that immediately overflows my memory. At least in the AH64. In the F18 I can also use a higher resolution. But only medium textures.

Nevertheless, the Caucasus looks very good with ultra visibility and 100% forest visibility 😉

Do you use Steam VR?

I5 13400F, 32GB DDR5 6200 CL30, RTX4070ti Super

2x 1tb m.2 (PCIe4.0)

20 hours ago, jnr4817 said:

What are your settings to get 40fps? Are you using ASW?

Yes i am using ASW. Basically in DCS Textures and Visibility Range is set to medium everything else to low or off, depends on the general performance impact of the setting.

Specs:WIN10, I7-4790K, ASUS RANGER VII, 16GB G.Skill DDR3, GEFORCE 1080, NVME SSD, SSD, VIRPIL T-50 THROTTLE, K-51 COLLECTIVE, MS FFB2 (CH COMBATSTICK MOD), MFG CROSSWINDS, JETPAD, RIFT S

Modules:A10C, AH-64D, AJS-37, AV8B, BF109K4, CA, F/A18C, F14, F5EII, F86F, FC3, FW190A8, FW190D9, KA50, L39, M2000C, MI8TV2, MI24P, MIG15BIS, MIG19P, MIG21BIS, MIRAGE F1, P51D, SA342, SPITFIRE, UH1H, NORMANDY, PERSIAN GULF, CHANNEL, SYRIA

Thrustmaster TWCS Afterburner Detent
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=223776

My Frankenwinder ffb2 stick

10 hours ago, derneuemann said:

In combination with Quest 2 I can be very satisfied (basically) but in DCS VR 8GB VRam is simply the lower limit of the puke.

I can only use a render resolution of 41.. x 21.. (I don't know the exact numbers off the top of my head). Anything above that immediately overflows my memory. At least in the AH64. In the F18 I can also use a higher resolution. But only medium textures.

Nevertheless, the Caucasus looks very good with ultra visibility and 100% forest visibility 😉

Do you use Steam VR?

No steam vr. I have a standalone copy of DCS.  For Il2 I set the Oculus hardware setting to 90 htz (or whatever that term is) and push the slider all the way to the right AND set the pixel override in the Oculous Debug tool to 1.5 AND max our all the ingame settings.  Smooth as silk, get a steady 44 fps per eye and looks fantastic..  In DCS, forget it. Using the default Quest 2 Oculus setting and the Oculus Debug tool pixel override to 0, and the default VR ingame settings, its smooth but looks ugly to me.  Ive spent at least 50 hours tinkering with all the settings in DCS because I love the game, but I'm just worn out.  I really hope DCS improves things for VR..  I tried several times to go back to my 2d monitor for DCS but I just can't go back to a monitor anymore 😞

I have a 10700K OC to 4.8ghz with a 1080Ti and a Reverb G2 headset using Open XR and get 45-60fps @ 60% Res it looks fine too me and seems smooth enough to fly no issues in MP either. I fly the through the inferno Syri and Caucus..

Not sure why so many seem to have issues but I guess it is just one of those things.. Glad it works good enough for me as VR in DCS is really nice..

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

41 minutes ago, MADLOU1 said:

No steam vr. I have a standalone copy of DCS.  For Il2 I set the Oculus hardware setting to 90 htz (or whatever that term is) and push the slider all the way to the right AND set the pixel override in the Oculous Debug tool to 1.5 AND max our all the ingame settings.  Smooth as silk, get a steady 44 fps per eye and looks fantastic..  In DCS, forget it. Using the default Quest 2 Oculus setting and the Oculus Debug tool pixel override to 0, and the default VR ingame settings, its smooth but looks ugly to me.  Ive spent at least 50 hours tinkering with all the settings in DCS because I love the game, but I'm just worn out.  I really hope DCS improves things for VR..  I tried several times to go back to my 2d monitor for DCS but I just can't go back to a monitor anymore 😞

Have you tried lowering the FOV a bit? Reducing it to 80-85% saves a good amount of pixels your GPU doesn't have to render, and you barely see those anyways.

6 hours ago, diego999 said:

Have you tried lowering the FOV a bit? Reducing it to 80-85% saves a good amount of pixels your GPU doesn't have to render, and you barely see those anyways.

That's a good idea and  I tried it but it didn't increase the visuals or FPS enough for me.

I have faith that DCS will get its VR act together in the not too distant future and make us all super happy. 

I definitely want to get Reflected Simulation's upcoming Mosquito campaign.  I think its going to be his second classic (the first being Paradise Lost IMHO).  He actually has the navigator talking and doing lots of stuff during the flight which GREATLY increases the immersion.  May have to break down and just fly it in 2d.

Maybe a G2 would make things better. .  . 

vor 11 Stunden schrieb MADLOU1:

I can hardly imagine that you won't get anywhere with the 3060ti and the Quest 2.

I haven't had the combo for long either, but I can already say that I can at least generate enough optics to have fun.

How exactly did you do it?

From today's perspective, I would first exhaust the Oculus Link before playing around with ingame settings or with the render resolution.

So Encode Bitrate at least 400 (depending on the cable)
Encode resolution width at least 3680 (depending on cable and VRam)

I'm currently using the standard render resolution at 90Hz for testing.

For testing I use the Mariannas card in the AH64, which is the most demanding combination for me.

That looked promising after a short test...
My settings for this are a mix of low and medium.

I'm happy to share my in game settings with you at the weekend...

2x 1tb m.2 (PCIe4.0)

8 hours ago, derneuemann said:

I can hardly imagine that you won't get anywhere with the 3060ti and the Quest 2.

I haven't had the combo for long either, but I can already say that I can at least generate enough optics to have fun.

How exactly did you do it?

From today's perspective, I would first exhaust the Oculus Link before playing around with ingame settings or with the render resolution.

So Encode Bitrate at least 400 (depending on the cable)
Encode resolution width at least 3680 (depending on cable and VRam)

I'm currently using the standard render resolution at 90Hz for testing.

For testing I use the Mariannas card in the AH64, which is the most demanding combination for me.

That looked promising after a short test...
My settings for this are a mix of low and medium.

I'm happy to share my in game settings with you at the weekend...

Ok Thanks. I would love to take a look at your settings. I'm open to any and all suggestions. I have set my Encode Bitrate at 500.  I have not set the Encode resolution width at 3680 but I have set it at 2912 and 3664 with no difference.  But your 3680  is something I will try.  

Yes the AH64 on the Mariannas map is great way to the test.  Both are very demanding. On the monitor, the Mariannas is absolutely gorgeous with all the settings maxed out.

vor 22 Stunden schrieb MADLOU1:

Ok Thanks. I would love to take a look at your settings. I'm open to any and all suggestions. I have set my Encode Bitrate at 500.  I have not set the Encode resolution width at 3680 but I have set it at 2912 and 3664 with no difference.  But your 3680  is something I will try.  

Yes the AH64 on the Mariannas map is great way to the test.  Both are very demanding. On the monitor, the Mariannas is absolutely gorgeous with all the settings maxed out.

I don't know which maps you prefer to play. But I'm now making adjustments to the Mariannas because things are going the worst for me.

In the Oculus Debug tool I only changed:
- FOV tangent multiplier to 0.8/0.8, which gave me the opportunity to
   To increase the resolution again a bit, to 4128x2196 I think.
- Distortion curvature low
- Encode Resolution Width 3680
- Encode bitrate 400 (at 450 my link cable drops out)

In the game I use textures in the AH64 mod, for all other modules medium.

Otherwise everything is low

Visibility medium

2x MSAA

Forest visibility 40%(Marianas, more is possible on other maps)

forest detail 1
Scenario 0.1

8x AF

So far, I'm still testing, but this has been going well on the Mariannas in an AH64 mission.

2x 1tb m.2 (PCIe4.0)

Thanks for all the information.  Greatly appreciated. What is the A64 mod you mentioned?  Also what do you mean when you say setting your Encode Bitrate at 450 makes your link drop out? I have been setting mine at the max of 500 (which may be a big mistake!)

I agree testing on the Mariannas map is a good idea because that map is very tough on VR.  If I can get good VR visuals and a halfway decent fps on that map, Id be set!

• Like 1

vor 10 Stunden schrieb MADLOU1:

Thanks for all the information.  Greatly appreciated. What is the A64 mod you mentioned?  Also what do you mean when you say setting your Encode Bitrate at 450 makes your link drop out? I have been setting mine at the max of 500 (which may be a big mistake!)

I agree testing on the Mariannas map is a good idea because that map is very tough on VR.  If I can get good VR visuals and a halfway decent fps on that map, Id be set!

that referred only to my cable and my motherboard. I then get a kind of distorted picture. however, it also puts a strain on the VRam from time to time. You can also test with 400.

2x 1tb m.2 (PCIe4.0)

Hi,

my system is barely able to fire the HP Reverb G2 (specs see my signature) in low settings.

PC: Intel Core i7-12700K| Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4| 2x 32GB DDR4 Kingston Fury Beast (KF436C18BBAK2/64)| PowerColor RX 6800 XT Red Devil| 3x SSD-Drive (one for DCS only)| 3x HDD-Drive| Cougar Panzer Max| custom water cooling| Fedora Linux| Windows 11|

Gear: Meta Quest 3| Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS| MFG Crosswind v2| Leap motion controller|

On 2/23/2023 at 3:41 AM, derneuemann said:

Do you use Steam VR?

Are you guys setting this [framerate] in the in-game settings or somewhere else?

For Oculus Rift S (and I'm assuming it will work for Quest 2) try setting desktop resolution (via Windows Display settings) to 800x600 and launching DCS through your VR headset desktop display. It doubled my framerate from ~20 to ~45.

Edited by S

No matter the specs, you'll always be hunting for fps in DCS (or any flight sim for that matter)

I've had all types of rigs with most GPU setups and obviously increasing your rig specs helps, but by far the largest improvement I've ever seen is openXR using FOV on quality wide. I barely notice it (unless I look for it) and it gives me a good 30%-50% increase in framerates.

AMD 7900x3D | Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Hero | 64GB DC DDR5 6400 Ram | MSI Suprim RTX 4090 Liquid X | 2 x Kingston Fury 4TB Gen4 NVME | Corsair HX1500i PSU | NZXT H7 Flow | Liquid Cooled CPU & GPU | HP Reverb G2 | LG 48" 4K OLED | Winwing HOTAS

Am 27.2.2023 um 15:37 schrieb Flummi:

Hi,

my system is barely able to fire the HP Reverb G2 (specs see my signature) in low settings.

Are you using the native resolution of the G2, or are you trying a higher render resolution?

I'm currently rendering (I'm optimizing, for my 3060TI) in 4700x2500 (rounded) and don't use MSAA for that at the moment.

Otherwise almost everything is low.

what i can observe What works great on the Caucasus, even with even higher settings, doesn't work well on the Mariannas.

I have to reduce the forest visibility from 100% to 35-40% to have a smooth experience again.

vor 5 Stunden schrieb S:

Are you guys setting this [framerate] in the in-game settings or somewhere else?

For Oculus Rift S (and I'm assuming it will work for Quest 2) try setting desktop resolution (via Windows Display settings) to 800x600 and launching DCS through your VR headset desktop display. It doubled my framerate from ~20 to ~45.

I'm not sure what you mean.

What should you set where to have what effect?

vor 3 Stunden schrieb MADLOU1:

I tried that with my Quest 2 ( I have a I5-12600k and a 3060ti but it did not increase my framerates.  Open to any and all ideas. . . 

On the Mariannas I was now able to lash over the trees fluently for the most part ;)...

Have you tried my settings or groped your way?

vor 1 Stunde schrieb trevoC:

No matter the specs, you'll always be hunting for fps in DCS (or any flight sim for that matter)

I've had all types of rigs with most GPU setups and obviously increasing your rig specs helps, but by far the largest improvement I've ever seen is openXR using FOV on quality wide. I barely notice it (unless I look for it) and it gives me a good 30%-50% increase in framerates.

You mean the FOV at 0.8/0.8 for example, or what do you mean?

2x 1tb m.2 (PCIe4.0)

8 hours ago, derneuemann said:

You mean the FOV at 0.8/0.8 for example, or what do you mean?

I do not use upscaling, just set the foveated rendering to Preset (Quality/Wide)

AMD 7900x3D | Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Hero | 64GB DC DDR5 6400 Ram | MSI Suprim RTX 4090 Liquid X | 2 x Kingston Fury 4TB Gen4 NVME | Corsair HX1500i PSU | NZXT H7 Flow | Liquid Cooled CPU & GPU | HP Reverb G2 | LG 48" 4K OLED | Winwing HOTAS