Meta Quest Pro Settings

Ginsu80

I recently upgraded my old Rift S to a Quest Pro. Does anyone have any settings or tweeks for the pro. The visual quality is much better but performance wise I've definitely taken a hit. I have been using Oculus Tray Tool and fiddling with some of the settings, without a whole lot of luck. Wondering if anyone has had more luck that me. 

Currently running a 5800x3d and 3080ti, DCS and windows on SSD, 64gb of ram. 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

was waiting for quest pro posts to pop up, because i have also one, and most guides are quest 2... I do have some weird settings now that work for me (so it is not recommendation, just sharing): Oculus app set at 72Hz, with resolution slider all the way left (!) at 0.8, then I use Oculus Tray tool and have set up a profile for DCS with Super Sampling 2.35 (may go to 2.25), which gives me a 0.8*2.25 = 1.8. ASW Mode 45Hz, Adaptive GPU ON, CPU Priority High. Oculus Tray Tool Quest Link Settings Distortion Curvature LOW, Encode Resolution 3664, Encode Bitrate 350, Sharpening Enabled. OTT Game Settings (this one is not in the game profiles) OVR Server Priority REALTIME. In the OTT Profiles main page also Desktop Resolution 800x600.

In-game DCS settings textures all high, visibility high, clouds ultra, water medium, shadows high, terrain shadows flat only, MSAA 2x (that bothers me the most...), but trees, grass/clutter, all the way up, even civilian traffic on (medium i think, i like a little movement on the ground), preload radius 100, global cockpit illumination OFF, Anisotropic Filtering 16x. 

Also Rebar enabled in BIOS and in NVIDIA Profile Inspector, although i haven't noticed any difference. Big game changer for me was disabling Hyperthreading and Intel Adaptive Thermal Boost (Intel Boost and Intel Boost Technology 3.0 enabled). 

I have now a very smooth experience in Caucasus, and even with a Helicopter like KA-50 or the Huey flying over city-scapes in Syria works at those high settings. A fly-over with F18 over Mariana's gives heavy stutters, but I think here I will go down with textures and turn off shadows for game-play.

As mentioned, my gripe is that I can't get smooth experience with MSAA 4x, as it does look considerably better.

Ah, in game OpenVR Toolkit: NIS enabled but at 100%, Turbo ON/OFF depending on situation.

MEG Infinite X 11th; MSI Coreliquid K240 V2; 1000W PSU; MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Ventus 3X OC 24GB GDDR6X

• 4 weeks later...

Quest Pro user here, these are my settings for RTX4090 (was using RTX3080TI and RTX3090 prior):

First: Baseline for your optimiziation should be Oculus Home Settings:

image.png

I was running my Quest Pro prior on RTX3090, your RTX3080Ti is similar in GPU-power. I would recommend 80 Hz there.

OTT Settings next:

image.png

I would recommend 1.0 in OTT and 1.0 in DCS itself for your GPU. Beware: Since latest OpenBeta on OpenXR, the OTT settings are a multiplier on top of your DCS setting.

Quest Link settings (via Cable):

image.png

Again: I would recommend Encode Bitrate max. 500 Mbit on RTX3080Ti. I was getting weird image interruptions above that setting. (not the case on RTX4090).

Ingame DCS settings:

image.png

Because the RTX3080Ti only has 12 GB VRAM, it is necessary for VR to get Textures to Medium. If you plan on playing Multiplayer I would also recommend Terrain Textures on Low.

Otherwise you will get alot of stuttering because of too much GPU VRAM usage. It was a pain in the ass to sort this out on my RTX3080Ti.

Visibility Range is another option you could lower to High - personal preference. Another boost is Terrain Object Shadows to Off - again personal preference. It really depends on what map you fly and how busy your surrounding area is.

DCS VR Tab:

image.png

In addition to that, I run the OpenXR Toolkit having CAS (Sharpening) enabled with 70% and a custom Fixed Foveated rendering (I am not running the DCS HMD Mask - the mask size i not correct for Quest Pro). Give it a try.

Happy flying. Loving my Quest Pro so far, the edge to edge clarity is a wonder and no more screen door effect - coming from Rift S too ;D

Edited by Tepnox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Ryzen 7 5800X3D // 64 GB RAM // RTX 4090 // Quest Pro // Quest 3

If you want some exact pixel tables per eye on super sampling, I did some testing:

1.00  (BASELINE)

2816x2896 (Oculus Home Settings = 5408x2736)

2960*3040 Blurry Instruments

3088*3184 Slightly Blurry Instruments

3232*3328 OK

3376*3472

3520*3616 Perfect Clarity

3664*3760

3792*3904

3936*4048

4080*4192

4224*4336

And for the encode resolution you should always go for the maximum possible resolution - the higher the better the compressed image quality. Settings too high can lead to artefacts on the lower image - there seems to be a maximum.

Enc 3680 (3680x2080)

Enc 3780 (3808x2080)

Enc 3880 (3904x2080)

Enc 3900 (3904x2080)

Enc 3905 (3936x2080) Optimum

Enc 3906 (3936x2080)

Enc 3907 (3936x2080)

Enc 3908 (3936x2080)

Enc 3909 (3936x2080)

Enc 3910 (3936x2240) Artefacts

Enc 3960 (3968x2240) Artefacts

Enc 4040 (4064x2240) Artefacts

• Thanks 3

I'm using 3840 for my encode resolution. How have you determined that 3095 is 'optimum'? I'm also running a 4090 with my QP for a month or so now and am trying to find out what other people are using settings wise without much luck. 

On a separate note, the edge to edge clarity of the QP is sublime; I know a lot of people have mentioned that the clarity in the Varjo Aero cannot be matched currently but the same people have also mentioned the FOV is worse that the G2.

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

1 hour ago, obious said:

I'm using 3840 for my encode resolution. How have you determined that 3095 is 'optimum'? I'm also running a 4090 with my QP for a month or so now and am trying to find out what other people are using settings wise without much luck. 

On a separate note, the edge to edge clarity of the QP is sublime; I know a lot of people have mentioned that the clarity in the Varjo Aero cannot be matched currently but the same people have also mentioned the FOV is worse that the G2.

Well, these are my notes and so for me (current setting) is 3905 "optimum" ;D

As you can see, the encoder resolution does not change between 3905 and 3909 (it remains 3936x2080). The next step up in encoder resolution is 3910 (=3936x2240) but this setting and above result in artefacts on the lower end of the image.

You can read out these values with the OculusDebugTool (C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics) with "Oculus Link" and "Oculus Link Detail" for yourself.

image.png

If you want some extensive and critical analysis between Varjo and Quest Pro I recommend those videos from Lukas:

So for me, coming from a 4 year old Rift S it was a huge step upwards. The Quest Pro pancake lenses are so much better than the typical fresnel lenses (G2, Quest2, Rift S etc.) - you can't argue with that.

FOV has never been an issue for me and I did not own a Varjo or G2 for comparison - so I am kind of biased there. In the end the Quest Pro is not perfect either for sure.

If I could design a headset, I would pick the Quest Pro pancake lenses and headset fitting style and combine this with an OLED display and native Display-Port connection (no stand alone). Let's see, what this year has in stores for us VR users.

Cheers.

Don't know if I'm just unlucky, but I can't get quest pro to work well at all. Constant stutters both in and outside of games over quest link cable. Compositor dropping frames left and right even if I lower encode resolution, bitrate, supersampling - doesn't matter. 72hz, 90hz, doesn't matter. 

On 3/18/2023 at 8:34 PM, Tepnox said:

Quest Pro user here, these are my settings for RTX4090 (was using RTX3080TI and RTX3090 prior):

First: Baseline for your optimiziation should be Oculus Home Settings:

image.png

I was running my Quest Pro prior on RTX3090, your RTX3080Ti is similar in GPU-power. I would recommend 80 Hz there.

OTT Settings next:

image.png

I would recommend 1.0 in OTT and 1.0 in DCS itself for your GPU. Beware: Since latest OpenBeta on OpenXR, the OTT settings are a multiplier on top of your DCS setting.

Quest Link settings (via Cable):

image.png

Again: I would recommend Encode Bitrate max. 500 Mbit on RTX3080Ti. I was getting weird image interruptions above that setting. (not the case on RTX4090).

Ingame DCS settings:

image.png

Because the RTX3080Ti only has 12 GB VRAM, it is necessary for VR to get Textures to Medium. If you plan on playing Multiplayer I would also recommend Terrain Textures on Low.

Otherwise you will get alot of stuttering because of too much GPU VRAM usage. It was a pain in the ass to sort this out on my RTX3080Ti.

Visibility Range is another option you could lower to High - personal preference. Another boost is Terrain Object Shadows to Off - again personal preference. It really depends on what map you fly and how busy your surrounding area is.

DCS VR Tab:

image.png

In addition to that, I run the OpenXR Toolkit having CAS (Sharpening) enabled with 70% and a custom Fixed Foveated rendering (I am not running the DCS HMD Mask - the mask size i not correct for Quest Pro). Give it a try.

Happy flying. Loving my Quest Pro so far, the edge to edge clarity is a wonder and no more screen door effect - coming from Rift S too ;D

So, on a whim, I went and grabbed a QP today to give it a shot versus my G2. I used your settings and, honestly, wow. Visuals, much better. FOV, much better. Performance was better too! Native ASW seems to work pretty well, if not for a slight delay in kicking down to 45fps sometimes. 

I need to solve two things though, since I am not familiar with Oculus:

1. Is there a way to use quest link without having these damn controllers on all the time? Doesn't seem to want to let me just use the mouse. 

2. Since I was using OpenComposite with my G2, I wonder if I need to remove anything in order to prevent any issues with the QP. I will dig around for that one. 

But yeah, preliminarily, big step up in visuals and performance. The audio is kind of bad though, may have to try my headset over the top. 

Edit: The experience kind of reminds me of when I tried the Aero out. Very noticeable uptick in visuals from using the G2 forever. 

Edited by DirtyMike0330

PC: ASUS TUF 4090oc - Ryzen 7950X3D - 32gb DDR5 6000 - Quest Pro

Sims: DCS, IL2, MSFS

Pilot Skill: Drunk guy from Independence Day

RIO Skill: Goose (post neck-break) 

1 hour ago, DirtyMike0330 said:

So, on a whim, I went and grabbed a QP today to give it a shot versus my G2. I used your settings and, honestly, wow. Visuals, much better. FOV, much better. Performance was better too! Native ASW seems to work pretty well, if not for a slight delay in kicking down to 45fps sometimes. 

1. Is there a way to use quest link without having these damn controllers on all the time? Doesn't seem to want to let me just use the mouse. 

2. Since I was using OpenComposite with my G2, I wonder if I need to remove anything in order to prevent any issues with the QP. I will dig around for that one. 

But yeah, preliminarily, big step up in visuals and performance. The audio is kind of bad though, may have to try my headset over the top. 

Edit: The experience kind of reminds me of when I tried the Aero out. Very noticeable uptick in visuals from using the G2 forever. 

I think there’s a setting in DCS to turn off the hand controllers 

• Thanks 1

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

3 hours ago, DirtyMike0330 said:

Glad you like your QP. Let me help you:

1. you can turn off the controllers by pressing the menu button (left controller) / oculus button (right controller) for about 10 seconds to switch them off. You will feel a vibration feedback when they shut down. It is possible that you get some ingame reminders, that your controllers can not be found - this happens not often and normally just in the moment you switch them off. I would recommend you enable the hand tracking as an alternative in the options of the QP - so you can still use the Quest Pro menu and switch to the Quest Link without controllers. Sadly the hand tracking is not (yet) supported in the Oculus Rift Software. But I normally start Quest Link and after the launch, I start DCS via mouse on my desktop. Works. The good thing is the controllers will be still be disconnected even after a shut down of the Quest Pro. If you want to reconnect them, just press the menu/oculus button again for 5-10 seconds until it vibrates.

2. Since OpenXR is supported natively in OpenBeta you do not need open composite any more (this was a translating API to get OpenVR and OpenXR connected). Just make sure, in the Oculus Software you have activated OpenXR runtime - this way the Oculus software will connect via OpenXR automatically without any other layer:

image.png

For OpenXR you need a DCS shortcut with special commands: "C:\GAMES\DCS World\bin\DCS.exe" --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR

For OpenXR and experimental Multi-Threading (MT) use: "C:\GAMES\DCS World\bin-mt\DCS.exe" --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR

If you don't want to use Open XR, just start DCS the normal way (at least for standalone) - DCS will run natively in the Oculus runtime. There are no real benefits between OpenXR and Oculus Runtime. Never had any problems with the standard Oculus Runtime with my Rift S in the past. I could not find any improvements with OpenXR in that way.

The only advantage with OpenXR is you can use the OpenXR Toolkit to tweak some more settings like additional sharpening, color saturation and color modification. I also use a custom fixed foveated rendering with OpenXR. Because I do not use the DCS mask, this helps me getting around 5% headroom of the GPU back (outer field of view is only 1/16 resolution and saves some GPU headroom this way).

I can only talk about DCS standalone, I don't know if there are other startup problems when launching DCS via Steam.

Edited by Tepnox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Tepnox said:

Glad you like your QP. Let me help you:

1. you can turn off the controllers by pressing the menu button (left controller) / oculus button (right controller) for about 10 seconds to switch them off. You will feel a vibration feedback when they shut down. It is possible that you get some ingame reminders, that your controllers can not be found - this happens not often and normally just in the moment you switch them off. I would recommend you enable the hand tracking as an alternative in the options of the QP - so you can still use the Quest Pro menu and switch to the Quest Link without controllers. Sadly the hand tracking is not (yet) supported in the Oculus Rift Software. But I normally start Quest Link and after the launch, I start DCS via mouse on my desktop. Works. The good thing is the controllers will be still be disconnected even after a shut down of the Quest Pro. If you want to reconnect them, just press the menu/oculus button again for 5-10 seconds until it vibrates.

2. Since OpenXR is supported natively in OpenBeta you do not need open composite any more (this was a translating API to get OpenVR and OpenXR connected). Just make sure, in the Oculus Software you have activated OpenXR runtime - this way the Oculus software will connect via OpenXR automatically without any other layer:

image.png

If you don't want to use Open XR, just start DCS the normal way (at least for standalone) - DCS will run natively in Oculus runtime. I can only talk about DCS standalone, I don't know if there are other startup problems when having DCS via Steam.

Got it all sorted now, thank you!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jparker36 said:

Don't know if I'm just unlucky, but I can't get quest pro to work well at all. Constant stutters both in and outside of games over quest link cable. Compositor dropping frames left and right even if I lower encode resolution, bitrate, supersampling - doesn't matter. 72hz, 90hz, doesn't matter. 

The first thing I would check is that you use a USB port that is directly connected to the CPU not the Mainboard chipset. You need to check your motherboard manual for this - this is very important. For my MSI B550 Mainboard the CPU connected ports with highest bandwith are red.

image.pngimage.png

I also get sometimes some issues with stuttering images inside of the Rift Software. In this case I unplug and connect the cable again. Also the Quest Pro often has this issue when you used it prior in stand-alone mode. Try a restart of the headset before connecting and starting the Quest Link connection.

If you are sure that the USB port is correct maybe try another cable. Updating the chipset driver from your motherboard may also be an option.

In my case I can use a USB-C to USB-C cable and I could also use a USB-A to USB-C cable. I tested both variants on my board. The USB-C to USB-C is the better option because the Quest Pro gets more power delivered and so I could use the headset theoretical for about 10 hours (the battery of the Quest Pro will still get lower with time). With USB-A to USB-C I could only play for maximum 5 hours, the battery would be depleted.

Hope you can figure it out.

Edited by Tepnox

On 3/18/2023 at 8:34 PM, Tepnox said:

I am not running the DCS HMD Mask - the mask size i not correct for Quest Pro)

I’m having trouble finding good info on the HMD mask setting and what it does. I see posts about the MSAA mask but not HMD mask. Can you explain how this benefits the QP please?

6 hours ago, DirtyMike0330 said:

I’m having trouble finding good info on the HMD mask setting and what it does. I see posts about the MSAA mask but not HMD mask. Can you explain how this benefits the QP please?

The MSAA mask is the area that gets the Anti-Aliasing (MSAA needs to be enabled for this). It is a circle beginning from the center of the view. You can test this live in game. The smaller the value, tha smaller the MSAA area that gets anti-aliasing but you will notice jagged edged outside of that area. DCS is always rendering a bigger picture that you can actually see with you field of view of the headset. For Quest Pro the Mask Size 0.35 is sufficient and in my case the MSAA gets completely to the edges of my field of view. You can save some GPU-load this way but this setting does not have a big performance impact anymore especially on a RTX4090.

The Enable HMD Mask setting cuts the area outside of the field of view and could save some rendering too. You can test this in game by turning on and off and you should see the difference on your 2D Monitor. The problem is, the HMD Mask that DCS uses is for Quest 2 field of view it seems. So it gets cut off a little too early especially on the inner parts - this way you limit your field of view. It is not big but was noticeable for me on the upper end of the picture and the inner parts of the field of view.

So in my case I let DCS render the whole picture area and use OpenXR custom fixed Foveated rendering to get some performance gains back. The outer area of my field of view (that is not visible inside the headset) is only rendered with 1/16 of the pixel density and saves some bandwith. In my testing, this saves around 5% GPU load - if you tweak this more aggressively you can get around 8% performance back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello guys, I have decided to get into VR and readed this thread carefully, because the Quest Pro seems to me the best option to date, but I’m not sure about the capacity of my PC to manage it, and want to ask your opinion:

CPU de 16 cores Ryzen 9 5950X de AMD (3.4 GHz-4.9 GHz/72 MB DE CACHÉ/AM4)

ASUS® ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0) - ARGB Ready!
64 GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200 MHz (4 x 16 GB)

RADEON™ RX 6800 XT DE 16 GB DE AMD - HDMI, DP - DX® 12

Thanks in advanced

5 hours ago, Daerchanar said:

Hey guys, how's the Wi-Fi 6E on this headset? Can you actually play DCS on wifi?

Wifi 6E is not yet implemented on the software-side but is planned for 2023 from Meta. The normal Wifi6 works fine so far, having 5Ghz and up to 2.5 Gbit bandwith with my router is superb.

You can play via AirLink or with extra App Virtual Desktop via Wifi - not the greatest experience with DCS on my end because you will get some interruptions here and there, also the maximum 150 Mbit compressed picture has clearly visible compression artefacts. I simply prefer tethered to the PC.

My launch into DCS via Oculus looks superb sharp, clear, however as soon as DCS boots into the screen I am getting  waves of distortion moving across the Goggles.

Anyone any idea what this is please?

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz   Turbo 5.1 GHz, Asus Prime Motherboard B460M-A, Nvidia Geoforce RTX4090, 64gB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR 3600Mhz,Windows 10 Pro Reverb G2V2

4 hours ago, Marshallman said:

My launch into DCS via Oculus looks superb sharp, clear, however as soon as DCS boots into the screen I am getting  waves of distortion moving across the Goggles.

Anyone any idea what this is please?

If you mean distortion in the loading screen, that is quite normal. Because ED did not implement a better VR loading environment you have to deal with that. Reason is the loading screen is not fully refreshed in-game, only when the loading bar moves - this means maybe typical 5-15 fps in there. ASW or motion reprojection needs a miniumum of frames to detect a motion vector to smooth out the image - so this leads to errors.

I think this is quite unpleasent if you start freshly with VR and could lead to motion sickness. Such a shame VR is not a priority for ED development.

• Like 1

A higher framerate isn't actually needed to fix menu/loading distortion for Oculus and OpenXR, there is a better way that DCS could do things:

Right now, DCS always draws a left eye and right eye view of a 3D world.

When a 2D thing (loading screen, in-game menu/dialog) is being shown, it would be much better for it to provide the Oculus or OpenXR runtime with "here's a 2D image, display it at *this 3D position* with *this 3D rotation*"; the runtime is then able to accurately compensate for headset movement even without a good framerate.

OpenXR: this would be mean providing two layers in `xrEndFrame`, the second being an https://registry.khronos.org/OpenXR/specs/1.0/man/html/XrCompositionLayerQuad.html

Oculus API: similar - ovrEndFrame/ovrSubmitFrame/ovrSubmitFrame2 (DCS will use one of them, doesn't really matter which) with a https://developer.oculus.com/reference/libovr/v32/structovr_layer_quad

Other than the raw work to do it, the downsides are:

OpenVR doesn't /really/ support this, but ... another flight sim that recently gained SteamVR support ... works around this by pretending to be two steamvr apps: the game itself, and a steamvr overlay app. Overlay apps aren't supported by opencomposite though. ED could do the same, or keep things as-is on SteamVR, but either way it would add complication and mean maintaining two ways for things to work.

When the runtime is fully responsible for world-locked or head-locked rendering at the headset framerate but DCS is running at a different framerate, the 2D stuff will be much more accurately world-locked - but this means it won't necessarily be in sync with the 3D world around it (e.g. the hanger in the menu if the menu was a 2D layer)

My projects:

OpenKneeboard - VR and non-VR kneeboard with optional support for drawing tablets; get help
HTCC - Quest hand tracking for DCS; get help

If you need help with these projects, please use their 'get help' links above; I'm not able to track support requests on these forums.

Can anyone confirm if dynamic foveated rendering works with the quest pro and dcs?

Recently saw a video of this working on the varjo. I cant easily find out if this is working on the qp though?

Thanks

Nope, dynamic foveated rendering requires eye tracking which needs hardware support (quest 2 does not have this) non dynamic foveated rendering can be done through open xr toolkit YMMV
Afaik quest pro has eye tracking

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

7 minutes ago, Flyingfish said:

It does have eye tracking but unfortunately it doesn't work with DCS 

Thanks - is this a limitation in dcs software, meta software or the openxr toolkit?

In theory this should be something that could work on the qp no?

Edited by kevman