dcs has been crashing more often

DukeAngus
Go to solution Solved by silverdevil,

hello all,

ever since the last update with MT, i have been experiencing dcs crashing. before this last update dcs has crashed very few times in the year or so that i have played dcs and as you can see by the amount of files it crashes everyday i play at least once since i started. i uploaded every file in the log folder, unfortunately i have no clue when it comes to what to look for in these files so if someone could take a look, i would be most appreciative. i am gpu bound but i have just enough fps to play online without any issues.  this happens in st and mt the same amount. the only addition i add to dcs is in the saved games folder and that is kneeboards and  english cockpits to russian planes.

a little background and maybe another issue, i would say the first 6 months everything worked flawlessly, and not issue. one day out of the blue 6 months or so ago dcs started to take longer and longer to load in to the game and longer to load into a mission. eventually it also made game play unplayable, i started looking for a fix. i ended up finding the fix which for my systems, was renaming the dcsopenbeta save games folder and also running a complete repair. once i renamed the dcs saved games folder, dcs was back to the same dcs i once new. January 11 2023, February 13, 2023 and March 9, 2023  i had to do the same thing, to fix dcs, i find it curious that they had happen so close to the same time of each month. the only thing that i can think of that i started to do differently is that about that time i started to save track files to upload here of issues. 

i play a lot of single player and i thought that the issue might have to do with older missions that i have made. but i had made brand new missions and it still happends.  one thing that did come into mind was that while making the new missions i play them as i make them so i can make one thing work at a time instead of being in a cluster buck.  the current one i was working on was bfm practice and i have a hand full of aircraft slots for air starts and then another hand full of redfor waiting to get spawned through the f10 map. i had not had a crash today until i started adding more than 4 spawn able redfor. i have no clue it this is even relevant but i am just throwing everything out there. hopefully some of this information helps.

thank you for your time and energy for reading this post and i hope you have a great rest of your day!

dcs.log-20230315-185605.zip dcs.log-20230314-170816.zip dcs.log-20230314-164130.zip dcs.log-20230313-043544.zip dcs.log-20230313-042035.zip dcs.log-20230312-163236.zip dcs.log-20230311-082936.zip dcs.log dcs.log.old debrief.log

• Like 1

• Solution

@DukeAngus - looks like you should make a permanent pagefile. this may not totally fix the issue but it should be done nonetheless. 

from your dcs.log:

2023-03-15 18:59:40.365 INFO    APP (Main): CPU cores: 4, threads: 8, System RAM: 32636 MB, Pagefile: 8192 MB

Page File
https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/196924-page-file-tip-by-mustang/

make both boxes 32,768

• Like 1

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

okay thank you, silver i will try that

now dont think it has anything to do with how many aircraft are in the mission because i made a mission with 4 aggressors and it crashed again. now that i think about it more, i had  roughly the same issue when 2.8  dropped and after a few updates it was as good a new.

@silverdevil  i believe that was the issue, i haven't played a ton but it has yet to crash. thank you very much for the quick response yesterday! what program do you use to look at the files i posted in the original post?

why would this update be the one to make the game crash when it very rarely crash before? i thought MT was supposed to help with that?

Just now, DukeAngus said:

@silverdevil  i believe that was the issue, i haven't played a ton but it has yet to crash. thank you very much for the quick response yesterday! what program do you use to look at the files i posted in the original post?

Windows is designed to use a pagefile. People frequently try to minmax their performance by removing or shrinking it, but it is usually a bad idea. Even if it doesn't cause problems with the one utility you're tinkering for, it's likely to cause problems somewhere else eventually, because the OS itself is intended to make use of it. It doesn't matter how much RAM you have.

Just now, DukeAngus said:

why would this update be the one to make the game crash when it very rarely crash before? i thought MT was supposed to help with that?

MT helps with a lot of things, but doesn't really have anything to do with the way Windows is designed to operate. There's a lot of reasons it might or might not cause a problem and why it did or didn't before this. Just monitor if it starts doing it again, but yeah, like above, that's generally something prone to causing problems.

• Like 1

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

i was trying to make an mission and only got to add 1 fight, 4 planes and dcs froze. it did not do the formal crash and send the files to dcs. this was the only file that updated when i closed dcs, through task manager. i noticed the page file was only at4868mb, even though i bumped it up to 32768mb in the system. is there  an issue?

dcs.log

12 hours ago, DukeAngus said:

hello. glad you are having success. you can open most of the files with notepad or wordpad that come with windows. i use a log viewer. you can color-code. important line will pop out when you are reviewing. unfortunately the logs can have a lot of gibberish in them.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain