Female pilot model

upyr1
Go to solution Solved by Dragon1-1,

• Solution

They mostly flew Yaks, Pe-2s and (most famously) Po-2s, though. I'm not sure about the La-7, but the I-16 was mostly an early war thing and unlikely to have been assigned to female pilots. By the time they were having women fly, there was plenty of Yak-1s. Also, Lavochkins were the best the Soviets had at the time, and as it happens, the good stuff was rarely assigned to female regiments. As such, it's probably not historically accurate for either airframe.

It'd actually be really nice to have the Yak-1, seeing as it was a docile, well-behaved aircraft that was nonetheless still able to run circles around the German fighters of the time. Armament wasn't terribly heavy, but it was powerful enough, and being mounted on the centerline, rather easy to aim. We don't have an appropriate map anyway, but any of the Yak's incarnations would be a joy to fly.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Maybe for the next project. 🙂 Myself, I'd love a Yak-9U, with maybe the P (basically, the U with metal wings) as an option for Korea. It'd probably be the best match for the late WWII designs we have, plus it was an amazing fighter in itself, seeing as it could turn with Spitfires, run races with P-51s and had very respectable firepower, with one 20mm and two .50s mounted dead center. Still underpowered, but not as badly as earlier Yaks.

I don't understand why everyone wants post-war Yaks so much. After the war, the need to participate in the hardest dogfights disappeared. It would be unfair to use post-war Yaks against Focke Wulfs and and against 109 or P-51 D_30. Try to compare the post-war Yak with post-war aircraft, for example, Bearcat  2b4dee144ce606bec66f73781a4e71bd.jpeg  and Spits  Spitfire_PR_Mk_XIX.jpg . It must be admitted that the planes were weighted down so that they could shoot down bombers effectively. The weight of the Yak-9 has increased, due to changes to increase flight endurance. New more efficient radio stations were installed. But in the simulator, you won't feel much benefit from it. On the contrary, the Yak 3 was maximally lightened in order to get the best turn and climb characteristics. In addition, the front armored glass was removed on the Yak-3. Therefore, the Yak-3 has better visibility ahead  Yak_3Sh.jpg  , unlike the Yak-9   Як_9.Sh.png or Spitfire     .

By the way, on Yak_9U  Y9u.jpg  and the post-war Yak-9, they began to use the upper air intake  Y_9N.jpg    again, which is located in front of the cockpit and can cover an enemy fighter when you shoot. And look at   Y_3_N.jpg    Yak-3.  This will be much more effective in the simulator than hundreds of small improvements in the Yak 9, which cannot be felt in the simulator. These post-ww2 war  planes were just waiting for replacement after the war, after 45, it was already clear to everyone that this was an outdated type for military aviation. For this time I think there is  MiG 15 and Sabre

Edited by Red_Pilot
  • Like 3

Yak-9U served in WWII, in fact it was introduced in 1944. If we'll ever get a Berlin map, it'd be right at home there, fighting Bf-109Ks and FW-190D9s. It's not a post-war design by any means, even if it continued to serve into Korea. In fact, many WWII designs did, some with very little modification.

For post-WWII, it can be interesting to fly a somewhat outdated prop plane in an early jet environment. P-51Ds weren't completely helpless against MiGs, and neither was the Yak-9P against Sabres. Korea is a very underutilized setting for games and movies alike (MASH is the only thing people can name, those who don't think it took place in Vietnam, at least), and I think it deserves some recognition. It wasn't just Sabres vs. MiG-15s, either, most aircraft that fought there were late WWII prop fighters and bombers. 

• Like 1

I did not write that the Yak-9U is a post-war aircraft. I just showed the general features of the Yak 9U and post-war Yaks. In addition, the Yak-9U made in 1944, the engine quickly overheated. This problem of the M-107A engine was actually solved only in the last months of the war

P.S. Although I am a fan of the Yak's line, in fact I think it's just a miracle and incredibly great luck that we will have La-7

Edited by Red_Pilot
  • Like 2

On 5/9/2023 at 7:38 AM, Red_Pilot said:

I don't understand why everyone wants post-war Yaks so much. After the war, the need to participate in the hardest dogfights disappeared. It would be unfair to use post-war Yaks against Focke Wulfs and and against 109 or P-51 D_30. Try to compare the post-war Yak with post-war aircraft, for example, Bearcat  2b4dee144ce606bec66f73781a4e71bd.jpeg  and Spits  Spitfire_PR_Mk_XIX.jpg . It must be admitted that the planes were weighted down so that they could shoot down bombers effectively. The weight of the Yak-9 has increased, due to changes to increase flight endurance. New more efficient radio stations were installed. But in the simulator, you won't feel much benefit from it. On the contrary, the Yak 3 was maximally lightened in order to get the best turn and climb characteristics. In addition, the front armored glass was removed on the Yak-3. Therefore, the Yak-3 has better visibility ahead  Yak_3Sh.jpg  , unlike the Yak-9   Як_9.Sh.png or Spitfire     .

By the way, on Yak_9U  Y9u.jpg  and the post-war Yak-9, they began to use the upper air intake  Y_9N.jpg    again, which is located in front of the cockpit and can cover an enemy fighter when you shoot. And look at   Y_3_N.jpg    Yak-3.  This will be much more effective in the simulator than hundreds of small improvements in the Yak 9, which cannot be felt in the simulator. These post-ww2 war  planes were just waiting for replacement after the war, after 45, it was already clear to everyone that this was an outdated type for military aviation. For this time I think there is  MiG 15 and Sabre

IMHO we need mid war Yaks that would have been used along side the I-16 and La-7. I am fine with post-war models as long as we get the war time variants.

• 3 months later...
On 5/10/2023 at 6:10 PM, Dragon1-1 said:

Yak-9U served in WWII, in fact it was introduced in 1944. If we'll ever get a Berlin map, it'd be right at home there, fighting Bf-109Ks and FW-190D9s. It's not a post-war design by any means, even if it continued to serve into Korea. In fact, many WWII designs did, some with very little modification.

For post-WWII, it can be interesting to fly a somewhat outdated prop plane in an early jet environment. P-51Ds weren't completely helpless against MiGs, and neither was the Yak-9P against Sabres. Korea is a very underutilized setting for games and movies alike (MASH is the only thing people can name, those who don't think it took place in Vietnam, at least), and I think it deserves some recognition. It wasn't just Sabres vs. MiG-15s, either, most aircraft that fought there were late WWII prop fighters and bombers. 

You are so right. Korea was absolutely a mad house. I think Yaks and IL2s attacked U.S. forces. A P-51 downed a Mig-15. A biplane carried out the last successful air attack on U.S. forces. The Mustang proved pivotal in the dark early days as a ground attack aircraft. Of course there was the bombing campaign that wiped most North Korean cities, towns, and villages off the map. A well realized DCS Korea would be epic. It would take most of the developers doing at least one module to get it right. But I would be worth it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Китайский комсомолец said:

fiction

Yep, it was first a Sea Fury, then a Corsair (F4U-5 or so), and probably more later on, not just 2 MiG-15 downed, but still those models did it.

As far as I remember, P-51s had no luck with downing fast jets like those in Korea.

• Like 1

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

5 hours ago, Китайский комсомолец said:

Proof

https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=40422

From the historical marker in his hometown: In Korea, Ken was the first man to shoot down a Russian Mig jet with an obsolete P-51 fighter.

• Like 1

Aircraft: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, F-5E, FC3, AV-8B, Mirage 2000C, L-39, Huey, F-86, P-51, P-47, Spitfire, Mosquito, Supercarrier

Maps: Persian Gulf, Syria, NTTR, Marianas, Normandy 2, Channel

Upcoming Modules Wishlist: A-7E, A-6E, F-4, F-8J, MiG-17F, A-1H, F-100D, Kola Peninsula

23 часа назад, Stackup сказал:

https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=40422

From the historical marker in his hometown: In Korea, Ken was the first man to shoot down a Russian Mig jet with an obsolete P-51 fighter.

There's a lot to write on the wall. Guncam? A photo bullet? Military documents?

Edited by Китайский комсомолец

3 hours ago, Китайский комсомолец said:

There's a lot to write on the wall. Guncam? A photo bullet? Military documents?

Why don't you look that stuff up?  Never heard of a "photo bullet", I can give you a picture of a .50 cal round but not sure how that would help, lol.  Also guncams don't always work properly or are loaded with film in the first place.  This happened multiple times in WWII and even happened to the F-14 crew that killed the Mi-8 during the Gulf War so there may not even be guncam evidence.  I found the marker with a quick Google search, if you want more like a military doc, wingman testimony, or whatever please do your own research.

This thread is supposed to be about a female pilot model for the La-7, not arguing the historical accuracy of MiG kill claims during the Korea War anyways so maybe this discussion should be ended with an agreement to disagree.

• Like 1

Aircraft: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, F-5E, FC3, AV-8B, Mirage 2000C, L-39, Huey, F-86, P-51, P-47, Spitfire, Mosquito, Supercarrier

Maps: Persian Gulf, Syria, NTTR, Marianas, Normandy 2, Channel

Upcoming Modules Wishlist: A-7E, A-6E, F-4, F-8J, MiG-17F, A-1H, F-100D, Kola Peninsula

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2023 at 5:16 PM, FlankerKiller said:

You are so right. Korea was absolutely a mad house. I think Yaks and IL2s attacked U.S. forces. A P-51 downed a Mig-15. A biplane carried out the last successful air attack on U.S. forces. The Mustang proved pivotal in the dark early days as a ground attack aircraft. Of course there was the bombing campaign that wiped most North Korean cities, towns, and villages off the map. A well realized DCS Korea would be epic. It would take most of the developers doing at least one module to get it right. But I would be worth it. 

I would love it if ED and other developers would focus on assets that can do double duty for WWII and Korea 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 3/19/2023 at 4:49 PM, upyr1 said:

There were women pilots in the red air force. It might be cool to have the option with the la-7 and i-16

Russia treated their women as equals when it came to battle, it would be nice that women were acknowledges as fighters as well as men, but then I would say that wouldn't I !

• Like 3

On 3/21/2023 at 4:15 PM, Dragon1-1 said:

They mostly flew Yaks, Pe-2s and (most famously) Po-2s, though. I'm not sure about the La-7, but the I-16 was mostly an early war thing and unlikely to have been assigned to female pilots. By the time they were having women fly, there was plenty of Yak-1s. Also, Lavochkins were the best the Soviets had at the time, and as it happens, the good stuff was rarely assigned to female regiments. As such, it's probably not historically accurate for either airframe.

It'd actually be really nice to have the Yak-1, seeing as it was a docile, well-behaved aircraft that was nonetheless still able to run circles around the German fighters of the time. Armament wasn't terribly heavy, but it was powerful enough, and being mounted on the centerline, rather easy to aim. We don't have an appropriate map anyway, but any of the Yak's incarnations would be a joy to fly.

Historically, while there were some all-female regiments like the Night Witches it was not unheard of for women to be flying in the same regiment with male pilots. Anyway as I keep stating we have the I-16 and the MiG-15 and a lot of blank spaces in between. I would love to have a Stalingrad or a Kursk map and some assets that would work well with both the I-16 and Mig-15

• Like 1

That doesn't change the fact they mostly flew Yaks, I haven't heard of any of them getting stuck with an I-16 or even a LaGG-3 (for which they were probably glad, as it was a notorious lemon). 

For female pilots to be relevant, we'd basically have to add the whole Eastern Front, including a new map, Soviet units for WWII pack (although many would end up included in DCS core, particularly gun emplacements, seeing as they're still in use), and a selection of both German and Soviet aircraft. Seeing as even our Western Front selection is sparse, things would have to seriously pick up the pace.

On 10/30/2023 at 2:27 AM, Mizzy said:

Russia treated their women as equals when it came to battle, it would be nice that women were acknowledges as fighters as well as men, but then I would say that wouldn't I !

Not entirely. But they were there and did a very respectable job. Women pilots had to make an effort and being smart. And they was, first of most of them had licence to fly a plane in order to be accepted. So they were in an economically more comfortable situation and educated.  It might have change later.