Fresh install of beta to any drive but c:

Go to solution Solved by silverdevil,

I just want to use the most basic installation option implemented in every other software: define where the game will be installed. DCS doesn't give me the option. What to do?

I can't let DCS decide to install on c : and then move / clone it to another drive simply because I don't have 150GB free on my c :. And as I refuse to accept that I can't choose the drive/directory of my liking. Also I fear the mess up my installation of the stable version.

What am I missing?

8 minutes ago, void68 said:

I just want to use the most basic installation option implemented in every other software: define where the game will be installed. DCS doesn't give me the option. What to do?

I can't let DCS decide to install on c : and then move / clone it to another drive simply because I don't have 150GB free on my c :. And as I refuse to accept that I can't choose the drive/directory of my liking. Also I fear the mess up my installation of the stable version.

What am I missing?

hello there should be a dialog box right after license agreement.

• Like 1

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

No, it isn't. I already have the stable release installed, and I just want to parallel install the beta. But I noticed the beta installation doesn't want to go to C, but to the installation drive of the stable release (what is G drive). So I think there's already some "installation path".txt or .ini somewhere.

We are getting closer, I think.

• Solution
2 hours ago, void68 said:

No, it isn't. I already have the stable release installed, and I just want to parallel install the beta. But I noticed the beta installation doesn't want to go to C, but to the installation drive of the stable release (what is G drive). So I think there's already some "installation path".txt or .ini somewhere.

We are getting closer, I think.

ah i see. likely the registry has something to correct. or why not move the stable, make a copy and then run the update command prompt method to make it beta?

null

image.png

Edited by silverdevil
  • Like 2

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

ahem... my bad. There was an old, unknown to me, installation of the beta on my stable DCS drive g: ... so there was that registry entry pointing to that drive. So, ofc the beta automatically wanted to update / install to the given path. I did not remember I installed the beta ever, damn, I'm getting old, too many drives to maintain order.

Deinstalled the beta, installed the beta to another drive with the usual "install to" option given and all is fine.

I'm sorry.

Thanks to all.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, void68 said:

ahem... my bad. There was an old, unknown to me, installation of the beta on my stable DCS drive g: ... so there was that registry entry pointing to that drive. So, ofc the beta automatically wanted to update / install to the given path. I did not remember I installed the beta ever, damn, I'm getting old, too many drives to maintain order.

Deinstalled the beta, installed the beta to another drive with the usual "install to" option given and all is fine.

I'm sorry.

Thanks to all.

no problem. us old guys do better when we work together. 🙂

my regedit has three entries:

image.png

DCSWorld is 1 locates a non existent copy on my C drive (I must have deleted it long ago)

DCS World Openbeta locates to my F drive which happens to be the largest SSD

DCS World OpenbetaServer locates to my D drive.

If I try to instal a 'virgin copy' it just looks to my F drive and puts a shortcut to the single thread executable on the desktop.

If I rename the folder on my F drive and then try to reinstall, it creates a whole new folder on the F drive. It never bothers to look at the C drive and install there.

4930K @ 4.5, 32g ram, TitanPascal

2 minutes ago, skypickle said:

my regedit has three entries:

image.png

DCSWorld is 1 locates a non existent copy on my C drive (I must have deleted it long ago)

DCS World Openbeta locates to my F drive which happens to be the largest SSD

DCS World OpenbetaServer locates to my D drive.

If I try to instal a 'virgin copy' it just looks to my F drive and puts a shortcut to the single thread executable on the desktop.

If I rename the folder on my F drive and then try to reinstall, it creates a whole new folder on the F drive. It never bothers to look at the C drive and install there.

you can export each of those keys in case the process goes south. what drive are you trying to install it?

Hi, 

I´m trying to install a second OpenBeta on my computer but I run into the same issue as the others above. Yes, I want two separate installs of OpenBeta. The reason is that I´m part of a competitive team which takes part in leagues and events. Those leagues mostly have the requirement of not allowing any mods, custom flare/chaff programs etc. 
It´s super annoying to clean and reinstall between matches, events and casual flying so I really want a second isntall which will become my casual one to work around that. How do I choose my own install path for that second install?

PS.: I´m no IT guy so I´m in need of an explanation for dummies. 

Thank you in advance!

Edited by TAW_Mago

3 hours ago, TAW_Mago said:

Hi, 

I´m trying to install a second OpenBeta on my computer but I run into the same issue as the others above. Yes, I want two separate installs of OpenBeta. The reason is that I´m part of a competitive team which takes part in leagues and events. Those leagues mostly have the requirement of not allowing any mods, custom flare/chaff programs etc. 
It´s super annoying to clean and reinstall between matches, events and casual flying so I really want a second isntall which will become my casual one to work around that. How do I choose my own install path for that second install?

PS.: I´m no IT guy so I´m in need of an explanation for dummies. 

Thank you in advance!

best bet is to use a mod manager to achieve this. unfortunately i do not know another way.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2023 at 10:28 PM, silverdevil said:

best bet is to use a mod manager to achieve this. unfortunately i do not know another way.

Yes I‘ve tried that but it got messy sometimes so I don’t want to take any chances and be the reason why my team gets disqualified or sth. like that. 

Anyways, I actually got it to work via a stable install which I then changed to the openbeta as suggested. I used the DCS Update Utility for that. It doesn’t rename any folders so the install and savedgames folders still look like the stable version. But it’s not. Therefore I created different shortcuts to my desktop and renamed them. 

Thx for the help!

• Like 1