George cannot hit moving targets with AGM-114 in multiplayer

awildc172

14 hours ago, awildc172 said:

Any attempt to engage a moving target with the AGM-114 results in the missile consistently impacting past the target and behind it.

In my experience, he does miss shots on moving targets.  When this happens, its often due to the target moving behind an object for a small period of time where I suspect he's losing the lase.  I personally don't think this is a bug.  It'll be interesting to see what ED says.

For example, in the video below there are 3 moving BMPs that appear at timestamp 08:00. In the video, I take a shot that misses as does my wingman.  2 shots - 2 misses.  From that point forward, however, the 3 BMPs are taken out with 3 hellfire shots from George.  Take a look at the VID feed on the last BMP shot at timestamp 09:50 where its clearly moving and George takes it out.

Maybe George's lasing skills could use some tweaking?  Possibly, never been in an Apache.  Love to hear from an SME on this topic.  I wonder what @Casmothinks?

Edited by Mistermann

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, VKB STECS Standard, Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

How many people/units were in your server when you shot this?

The situations I've been seeing are with vehicles out in the open completely unobscured.  Additionally I've seen it many times with shots on helicopters, even ones barely moving, though it should be able to hit a helicopter at just about any speed given that we've seen they can hit slow fixed wing aircraft.  If you attempt to shoot at a helicopter it's pretty much a guaranteed miss.

One possibility is I've noticed George doesn't tend to lase the centroid of the target but rather the top.  That said, this also happens frequently with a player CPG so I suspect it's a server netcode/tickrate issue.

Edited by awildc172

I agree that this seems to be a multiplayer bug of some kind involving desync or tickrate.  I typically fly with a human CPG and it is nigh impossible to hit a moving target in multiplayer with Hellfires unless shooting from directly head on or tail on, but even then odds are less than 50/50 of a direct hit.  When this happens, the missile always hits behind the moving target. 

In my experience, it seems like the missile tracks directly to where the TADS was looking when the missile was fired rather than tracking the moving target.  I have even seen 2 missiles hit in the same spot behind a moving target when the target was being tracked by IAT.

Of note, we haven't tried LOAL to see if that changes the behavior, but we'll give a whirl and report back.

• ED Team

Please attach a track replay showing an example of the issue, it is the only way we can investigate this 

thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

On 4/9/2023 at 12:26 AM, awildc172 said:

How many people/units were in your server when you shot this?

Three.  It was a hosted private mission.

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, VKB STECS Standard, Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

The server I was using was sitting around 30-40 people with a few hundred units. 

I tried in SP and while George has trouble staying on target for anything moving fast, with moving target track I can reliably kill a CEII flying at 130kts perpendicular to me.  I'd concur it's a server performance issue, the 114 appears reliant on the server update rate even without a human CPG.  It's plenty agile enough.

The laser in MP updates at a very slow rate. This is not just an Apache issue, it's an issue when buddy lasing in anything. Me and another player have tested this a lot and even when lasing from an A10 for an Apache the laser skips around and does not smoothly track the target. This is visible if the player in the A10 has both the designator and IR pointer on at the same time and the Apache pilot is under NVGs. Videos and tracks were provided to the appropriate people as far as I know.