multicore xp users read

matcat

i just was reading up on xp and its issue with multicore cpu power management, and disabled my speedstep and c1 halt state management options in the bios and i am now getting an performance increase in parallel with the vista set affinity trick! at least it is now much smoother and doesnt drop as many frames. try it and get back to me.

Matcat

• Like 1

i just was reading up on xp and its issue with multicore cpu power management, and disabled my speedstep and c1 halt state management options in the bios and i am now getting an performance increase in parallel with the vista set affinity trick! at least it is now much smoother and doesnt drop as many frames. try it and get back to me.

Matcat

K you have to talk slowly to me - how do I disable these things?

RB

Are you sure you're getting improved FPS because it's using both CPUs? Speedstep I think is a power saving feature which slows down the CPU when it's not in use or being under utilized. It's possible that you are seeing the performance increase because you disabled this and not because it's using multiple CPUs. The best way to know for sure is check task manager to see if the BS is using up CPU time on both CPUs.

Edited by Coolhnd1

-- CoolHand

"C1 (often known as Halt) is a state where the processor is not executing instructions, but can return to an executing state essentially instantaneously. Some processors, such as the Pentium 4, also support an Enhanced C1 state (C1E) for lower power consumption."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Configuration_and_Power_Interface

"SpeedStep is a trademark for a series of dynamic frequency scaling technologies built into some Intel microprocessors that allow the clock speed of the processor to be dynamically changed by software."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speedstep

Might have to worry more about heat, with these turned off?

LP

modules:

F5-E / A4-E / A-10A / AJS-37 / SA-342 / UH-1H / Ka-50 / Mi-8 / CA

would buy:

OH-58 /AH-64A / AH-1 / Sepecat Jaguar / F-111

changing the BIOS will have no affect on the use of multy cores in softwair. only the OS can do that. You are only changing how the hard wair talks to the OS. you wont see any gains like in Vista. I will be moving to windows 7 when it is released.

Home built PC Win 10 Pro 64bit, MB ASUS Z170 WS, 6700K, EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid, 32GB DDR4 3200, Thermaltake 120x360 RAD, Custom built A-10C sim pit, TM WARTHOG HOTAS, Cougar MFD's, 3D printed UFC and Saitek rudders. HTC VIVE VR.

https://digitalcombatmercenaries.enjin.com/

The common belief is that the DiectX 10 in Vista is the way people are getting the FPS boost. Supposedly the API's are multithreaded in some areas so people with multi core cpu's get a benefit from it. The reason it won't work for XP users is because the device drivers are also different: IE you can't just copy the directX from Vista to XP and get the boost because at the driver level the XP drivers don't cut it...

This is what they will be doing a lot more of in Windows7 / DirectX 11 It will be backwards compatible with the earlier generation hardware so everyoen will get a FPS boost even if you aren't running on the latest and greatest...

here's a really good article on it:

http://www.bit-tech.net/bits/2008/09/17/directx-11-a-look-at-what-s-coming/1

on the multithreading:

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2008/08/01/directx-11-optimises-for-multithreading-and-gpgpu/1

Edited by Slayer

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

Intel I7-3930K, Asrock EXTREME9, EVGA TITAN, Mushkin Chronos SSD, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z series 2133, TM Warthog and MFD's, Saitek Proflight Combat pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO, Windows 7 x64, 3-Asus VS2248H-P monitors, Thermaltake Level 10 GT, Obutto cockpit

I did the following...

1. Started multiplayer game up

2. Alt+tab

3. Selected DCS, set affinity to both CPU's

4. Went back into game

5. Everyone was jolting all over the sky for 30 seconds

7. Alt+tab

8. Disabled the second CPU I had selected the first time around

9. Went back into game

10. Game was fine

I have Windows 64bit

Conclusion: Manually setting DCS to both processors isn't good...

@ Rapid: You wont get any bost from XP using affinity this onbly works on Vista or Windows7..theres a huge thread on it and some tricks for setting it automatically for you in there also

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

Intel I7-3930K, Asrock EXTREME9, EVGA TITAN, Mushkin Chronos SSD, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z series 2133, TM Warthog and MFD's, Saitek Proflight Combat pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO, Windows 7 x64, 3-Asus VS2248H-P monitors, Thermaltake Level 10 GT, Obutto cockpit

@ Rapid: You wont get any bost from XP using affinity this onbly works on Vista or Windows7..theres a huge thread on it and some tricks for setting it automatically for you in there also

Thanks Slayer. I am starting to come to that sad realization. I am contemplating running Win7 on my gaming machine but there are issues with it and punkbuster.

On a side note - yesterday I was playing with the affinity in XP and I set BS to run on core 1, 2, and 3 (I left core 0 blank). My frames went from 25-30 (max) up to 45 (max) BUT it wasn't consistent because when I did the same thing later on in the same mission my frames were back down to 25.

RB

Not even worth trying to set the affinity in XP (32 or 64) everyone, many of us have tried it from every angle, when BS Russian version first became available.

Now on Vista32, Vista64 and Windows7 it works real well, as you get huge perfromance gains setting the game to run on multiple cores manually.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]