Does the release of Normandy 2 make the Channel map redundant?

imacken

So with the release of Normandy 2, is there any point in the Channel map? Does it have a future function any more?

I'm sure there is a thread on this but I couldn't find it.

Edited by imacken

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I am silently hoping that possibly ED will do something similar with the Channel map that Urga did with Normandy, possibly extended north and east. and I am dreaming now, then merged with Normandy. It sure seems strange that Urga didn't bother with the parts of England that are hi detail in the channel map, i.e. Manston and the surrounding area. A stepping stone maybe, but not redundant.

• Like 1

We are Virtual Pilots, a growing International Squad of pilots, we fly Allies in WWII and Red Force in Korea and Modern combat. We are recruiting like minded people of all Nationalities and skill levels.

http://virtual-pilots.com/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not redundant for offline players, that's for sure. All but three (IIRC) Reflected's campaigns use it, for example.

Moreover, Channel is still visually superior (colours and tree models), but that's subjective and might change later with Normandy's further development.

Edited by Art-J
  • Like 2

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Ah OK, so the detailed areas are different. Got it.  I presume this was a decision made so as not to affect The Channel map sales potential.  I mean if you look at the 2 detailed areas, it just looks a bit weird that the Channel Map area is missing from N2.

I guess it would be complicated with the different parties involved, but what are the chances of having a merge of these 2 maps, which would make perfect sense?

2 hours ago, Art-J said:

Not redundant for offline players, that's for sure. All but three (IIRC) Reflected's campaigns use it, for example.

Moreover, Channel is still visually superior (colours and tree models), but that's subjective and might change later with Normandy's further development.

Sure, but I guess I was meaning future development.  However, I didn't realise that the detailed areas were different.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Yeah, both business parties clearly had an agreement in this case not to step on each other's toes. Hence the wacky layout of high-detail area of N2 map. Oh well, its is what it is. 

I don't believe these maps will ever be combined, but I like the wishlist idea of Channel map extending North and East. Not holding my breath for it, however, with ED's map guys' development going into WWII Marianas now.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Given what UGRA have been doing in and around the Channel area for a long time now, it seems a bit odd that ED chose to do that area at all. Should've left it to UGRA to incorporate into Normandy and concentrate on another untouched area.

• Like 1

I’ve probably flown more on the Channel map than on any other. If I still want to fly from Biggin, Manston, Hawkinge etc. I have to but I don’t mind a bit. I’d love to see Ugra give the same treatment they gave Normandy to the Channel and definitely spread further North. Gutted not to see Hornchurch anywhere in DCS but we can’t have every airfield we want can we, or can we? Here’s hoping for some Bomber Command North of London.

5 hours ago, imacken said:

Ah OK, so the detailed areas are different. Got it.  I presume this was a decision made so as not to affect The Channel map sales potential.  I mean if you look at the 2 detailed areas, it just looks a bit weird that the Channel Map area is missing from N2.

I guess it would be complicated with the different parties involved, but what are the chances of having a merge of these 2 maps, which would make perfect sense?

Sure, but I guess I was meaning future development.  However, I didn't realise that the detailed areas were different.

@Reflected posted a nice video about Normandy 2.0 that pointed out that it would be basically impossible to port his existing DLC campaigns for the Channel map to an enhanced Normandy map. He would have to start over from nothing on the mission programming. So keeping the Channel map is about more than just ED's sales of the Channel map itself.

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

8 minutes ago, sthompson said:

@Reflected posted a nice video about Normandy 2.0 that pointed out that it would be basically impossible to port his existing DLC campaigns for the Channel map to an enhanced Normandy map. He would have to start over from nothing on the mission programming. So keeping the Channel map is about more than just ED's sales of the Channel map itself.

It's not just that, but even if I could magically move all units and triggers, there would still be no point as the 2 maps have different bases and very different areas of focus. E.g. a raid on Lille starting from Manston would be impossible over Normandy 2.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sthompson said:

Sure, but it still looks weird having that black hole in the N2 map where the Channel map exists.  It would be nice to think that there is  a way of bringing the parties together for continuity's sake.

• Like 4