Problems with carrier landing in f14A/b

Ddg1500

Hello, recently I’ve been try to pick up both f14 variant’s case 1, I found the E bracket on the tomcat really hard to catch, I did trim the aircraft with careful throttle input.

In most cases the e bracket is too high to catch due to high speed, and by the time when E bracket is reachable, the aircraft would have nearly stalled, let alone for the banking before the final approach.

There is another problem at this state, the f14A’s engine would be highly susceptible to compressor stall and would stall every time when the e bracket is catchable making landing very, very difficult.

I would say it would be easier if I don’t try to catch the e bracket to land the aircraft.

Is there a solution to this problem?

7 hours ago, Ddg1500 said:

Hello, recently I’ve been try to pick up both f14 variant’s case 1, I found the E bracket on the tomcat really hard to catch, I did trim the aircraft with careful throttle input.

In most cases the e bracket is too high to catch due to high speed, and by the time when E bracket is reachable, the aircraft would have nearly stalled, let alone for the banking before the final approach.

There is another problem at this state, the f14A’s engine would be highly susceptible to compressor stall and would stall every time when the e bracket is catchable making landing very, very difficult.

I would say it would be easier if I don’t try to catch the e bracket to land the aircraft.

If you already use DLC (properly) disregard.

F-14 has the DLC system which helps control the E bracket.  If you're not using that to aid your E bracket your missing an important tool.  It can be done without the DLC, but it takes some very precise throttle. 

DLC should be deployed once you are in gear down, flaps down landing configuration.  you'll know you deployed it when you have one spoiler half way up on each wing.  
That half extended position is the normal position for landings.  From there, the DLC thumbwheel should be bound to something you can use on your stick.  The DLC thumbwheel then allows you to fully extend or fully retract those spoilers, allowing you flick control of E bracket.   

For example, E bracket is high or going high you extend DLC spoilers to add additional drag, vice versa when you get slow you pull them in.  It's a quick fix to the E bracket you back up with throttle changes.   Once you get it, tomcat becomes much easier to hold on AOA.

As comment on this:
"There is another problem at this state, the f14A’s engine would be highly susceptible to compressor stall and would stall every time when the e bracket is catchable making landing very, very difficult."

That's why f-14 pilots were arguably the best of the best of the best - meaning you have Pilots, CARRIER pilots, F-14 carrier pilots.  There are hierarchies both real and perceived in aviation.  I think the f-14 and the harrier both fall into the more "real" category.  Not a navy guy, but I've long heard historically both those airframes initially at east only took from a hand selected pool of aviators.  

In any carrier landing you are riding a very fine edge of the low speed envelope.  Landing that large an aircraft on a carrier is an engineering marvel and it's gonna force tradeoffs.  

All that is to say my guess is it's hard, because it was hard in real life.  Try it with the proper tools though and it's very doable, even single engine with combat damage.

Edited by cw4ogden
  • Like 2

On 4/29/2023 at 11:31 AM, Ddg1500 said:

Is there a bug to report here, or are you just commenting on how challenging it is to trim the Tomcat? Practice, get gud, etc.

Also, are you making sure to be under max trap weight, 54,000 lbs?

I usually don't encourage it, but i've recorded few traps with the controls indicator ON last night. Maybe you'll find the recording useful. If nothing else, it should help get some general idea behind the entire process. Full disclaimer, i am far from being the best stick behind the boat AND i hadn't done this in few weeks now, so i am a bit rusty. Especially with my groove times. Hope this helps and feel free to ask more questions if something seems unclear:

• Like 2

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

On 4/29/2023 at 7:31 PM, Ddg1500 said:

You definitely need to be on-speed for carrier landing and that means proper AoA - E bracket is only one easy way to indicate it, you can go with either approach indexer or AoA indicator - with that comes proper speed (yes, it's near stall experience) and 3.5° glide slope on final. When banking you need to increase throttle of course to keep AoA and compensate for loss of lift.

Be sure to have also speedbrakes engaged beside obvious gear, flaps, DLC and hook and be under allowable landing weight.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

On 4/30/2023 at 2:31 AM, Ddg1500 said:

This description sounds like you are trying to align the E-bracket with the velocity vector, as you would in the Hornet or Viper. The E-bracket should be aligned with the fixed T in the HUD.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nealius said:

This description sounds like you are trying to align the E-bracket with the velocity vector, as you would in the Hornet or Viper. The E-bracket should be aligned with the fixed T in the HUD.

That's a very good point. 

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache