Nuclear Interception

LDTP

Dear DCS Team,

I have noticed that all types of warheads, including nuclear warheads, detonate upon impact in the game. However, this is not realistic as a nuclear warhead intercepted by a missile defense system would not detonate and cause a nuclear explosion.

I believe that it would greatly enhance the realism of the game if the simulation could take into account the effects of interception of nuclear warheads. Specifically, the game should reflect the fact that nuclear warheads can be intercepted without detonating and causing a nuclear explosion.

I hope that the DCS team will consider implementing this change to improve the accuracy and realism of the simulation.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

• Like 2

Nukes aren't really represented in DCS, the existing ones are basically Easter eggs and are not intended for serious use. There are no plans to simulate nuclear warfare in DCS, nor is it possible due to the fact that details of those systems are, quite understandably, classified to hell and back. This would be a lot of work for not a whole lot of benefit.

It would be nice if at some point, cruise missiles and JSOWs had a damage model so that they would fall to the ground when shot down. That's about it, though. We're not going to have nukes in DCS.

• Like 2

9分钟前,Dragon1-1说:

Nukes aren't really represented in DCS, the existing ones are basically Easter eggs and are not intended for serious use. There are no plans to simulate nuclear warfare in DCS, nor is it possible due to the fact that details of those systems are, quite understandably, classified to hell and back. This would be a lot of work for not a whole lot of benefit.

It would be nice if at some point, cruise missiles and JSOWs had a damage model so that they would fall to the ground when shot down. That's about it, though. We're not going to have nukes in DCS.

Thank you for your response and for taking the time to address my concerns. I understand the limitations and challenges associated with simulating nuclear warfare in DCS and appreciate your explanation.

• Like 1

• ED Team
1 hour ago, LDTP said:

Dear DCS Team,

I have noticed that all types of warheads, including nuclear warheads, detonate upon impact in the game. However, this is not realistic as a nuclear warhead intercepted by a missile defense system would not detonate and cause a nuclear explosion.

I believe that it would greatly enhance the realism of the game if the simulation could take into account the effects of interception of nuclear warheads. Specifically, the game should reflect the fact that nuclear warheads can be intercepted without detonating and causing a nuclear explosion.

I hope that the DCS team will consider implementing this change to improve the accuracy and realism of the simulation.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Hello, 

The Mig-21 has nuclear bombs in DCS but it is essentially just a normal but large explosion. 

We have no plans to model nuclear weapons in DCS or the effects. 

thank you 

bignewy

• Like 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

4 minutes ago, Beirut said:

McBummer! 😕

I mean, what's a few kilotons amongst friends? 

Yeah, strange one this, I mean a bullet/missile/conventional bomb kills, is a nuclear weapon considered a greater bad way of killing?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, draconus said:

the OP just asks for the bombs to not blow up when hit by a missile, that's all.

The problem is, the way it's currently done, bombs are removed from the game when hit. Since things are unlikely to be in a bomb's blast radius when it's in the air, there's zero benefit to spending even one second on this feature. It's effectively the same as the bomb just poofing out of existence, and works fine for anything that's not a nuke.

Now, real bombs would likely not blow up when hit (and particularly missiles, as the US forces learned to their detriment when they tried shooting Patriots at Iraqi SCUDs), but rather, their trajectory would be altered by the explosion, and in case of missiles and JSOWs, part of the fuselage may be destroyed. That would be much harder to implement, however.

Looking at how MOOSE artillery module can destroy artilery shells before impact and replace them with illumination rounds: shoudn't similar be possible by scripting for nukes too? The usecase OP got is a quite rare thing, so it is understandable there will be no core work for this. But maybe scripting can do the job evenly well? Maybe talk to the MOOSE guys for a solution.

43 minutes ago, Mustang said:

Yeah, strange one this, I mean a bullet/missile/conventional bomb kills, is a nuclear weapon considered a greater bad way of killing?

Perhaps the ED powers-that-be consider it... ungentlemanly. 🧐

• Like 1

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

2 minutes ago, Beirut said:

Perhaps the ED powers-that-be consider it... ungentlemanly. 🧐

Well in all fairness when I think about it more it's probably quite difficult to model in terms of graphical effects and physics over politics and hurting feelings 😄

3 minutes ago, Beirut said:

ungentlemanly

More or less ungentlemanly than dropping six CBU-87 on a soft target convoy in the open? 😄

1 minute ago, Mustang said:

Well in all fairness when I think about it more it's probably quite difficult to model in terms of graphical effects and physics over politics and hurting feelings 😄

Guess so too. An airburst nuke would ask for a lot of manipulation with map objects. Trees, houses, that little "wake turbulence". FPS just left the chat room i guess.

• Like 1

• ED Team
2 hours ago, LDTP said:

I will ask the team, but if the team accept this change it would be very low priority 

if you have a short as possible track replay of it happening please attach here and tag me 

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

1 minute ago, Mustang said:

Try dropping one of the MiG-21's nukes in any populated area, and see what it does to your framerate. 🙂 They'll nuke your CPU right there.

Aside from performance, I personally think it's about realism. All procedures relating to operating a nuclear weapon from aircraft are strictly classified, and so are technical details required to model it internally. ED knows there's just no way they could model a nuke to their standard, so they're not even trying. Physics are well known at this point (all in all, it's basically just a huge explosion) and while graphics might be hard, it's not impossible to make a good-looking, realistic mushroom cloud, albeit probably at too much of a performance cost. 

• Like 1

• ED Team
Just now, Dragon1-1 said:

Try dropping one of the MiG-21's nukes in any populated area, and see what it does to your framerate. 🙂 They'll nuke your CPU right there.

Aside from performance, I personally think it's about realism. All procedures relating to operating a nuclear weapon from aircraft are strictly classified, and so are technical details required to model it internally. ED knows there's just no way they could model a nuke to their standard, so they're not even trying. Physics are well known at this point (all in all, it's basically just a huge explosion) and while graphics might be hard, it's not impossible to make a good-looking, realistic mushroom cloud, albeit probably at too much of a performance cost. 

correct, for the amount or work required to do it justice, not just visual effect, but damage to terrain and the fall out, the cost would be huge in terms of development, and for something that is only occasionally used in DCS I dont think it is worth it. We have more important tasks to complete. 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Minhal said:

More or less ungentlemanly than dropping six CBU-87 on a soft target convoy in the open?

Well, there is a certain genteel flavour to a CBU-87 going off over your head.

It's, uh... civilized. :smoke:

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

23小时前,BIGNEWY说:

correct, for the amount or work required to do it justice, not just visual effect, but damage to terrain and the fall out, the cost would be huge in terms of development, and for something that is only occasionally used in DCS I dont think it is worth it. We have more important tasks to complete. 

Thank you for your previous response regarding the nuclear interception in DCS.

I propose the addition of a detection mechanism that would identify when a nuclear bomb or certain types of cruise missiles are hit by other warhead(SAM...). Rather than detonating, these weapons would be removed from the game without causing an explosion.

• Like 1