Uncontrolled roll in autopilot basic mode in multiplayer

Kobal
Go to solution Solved by fausete,

Hi, tested on two servers, with a teammate, me with FFB, him not, when we activate autopilot basic mode, the plane roll to the right or to the left until autopilot disconnection. No problem in solo flight.

Edited by Kobal

Yes, problem for both, during standard climb and cruise. Wingman in echelon formation far away from wake turbulence risk (with no wake turbulences on server).

Edited by Kobal

I can report the same, I thought I must have imagined it working properly in single player but yeah - in MP only, engaging basic mode the AP starts to add roll trim in one direction or the other until the aircraft rolls to about 40-50° then kicks off the autopilot. It's most commonly rolled right for me but I've seen left too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi 

Just made a flight on Sinaï Map, and after a while, the AP rolls to the left. But the strange thing is that the trim indicator was full right and the aileron too, but the mirage rolls to the left... It seems to be the aileron trim who deviates slowly. I've maid a second flight and the rolling bug appears after  1 hour of flying with the AP. I joined the track. When i look from outside, the aileron are moving like the trim indicates, right up and left down. When the AP disconnect, they still stay in that position, but the aircraft violently rolls to the left. It reacts like if the tanks are emptying assymetricaly, but no indication on the tanks indicator.   

DCS F1 long flight AP bug.trk

Edited by grim_reaper68

Hi @grim_reaper68. I've not had time to look at the track but are you perhaps overspeeding the aircraft? When a certain IAS is exceeded, you have control surface authority reversal due to aeroelasticity. The best part? Depending on ambient temperature and altitude the impact temperature will be lower than the 135 °C required to trigger the LIM warning light.

Hi. No overspeed, between 350 and 400 kts, altitude  established at 12000ft. I took some screenshot, you can see the time line on the clock. Take off time on 12.00. 

Screen_230702_162110.jpg

Screen_230702_163420.jpg

Screen_230702_164613.jpg

Screen_230702_165338.jpg

On the first screen the trim indicator doesn't appear, but you can see that the fuel quantity indicator become visible. On the ohter one, the angle of the trim grows up, as seen on the input window on the left. No action on the stick at any time. I was just flying in autopilot, changing bearing with the bearing selector.  

Another fact is that the aileron didn't move in a left turn with autopilot. In the screen below the F1 has engaged the turn, but if you look at the left aileron, it's down.

Screen_230702_162457.jpg

Hope i'm clear in my explanation.

I forgot to mention that i was in SP. I've tested it twice with the same result.

Edited by grim_reaper68

I think I have a part of the answer: I made a third test, in calm conditions (static weather, no wind, the 2 first where made in dynamic weather, so there was some wind) and after 2 hours of flying, no drift of the roll axis. The AP works perfectly. A little bit of right aileron was present, but I think i cames from the BARAX and PHIMAT pods who have different weights. For a complete information, I was loaded with 2 Magic II, Phimat on the left, Barax on the right, 1 full loaded RPL201, and 2 full loaded RP35, so a very heavy aircraft on both first flight. On the third (no wind), I dropped the 2 RP35 about 20-30 minutes after take off. 

I just made another test, with the full load config all the flight and no wind. The roll drift cames back. As soon as the RP35 where empty (both lights on at the same time), the F1 began his deadly left roll after 5-10 minutes. So, maybe there should come from the 2 RP35. It's like they would emptying at different speed. 

PS: I didn't try it with only the 2RP35. I will make it later to see if it's the same.

Edited by grim_reaper68

Test on Syria give the same result. But if i drop the 2 RP35 before the critical point, the F1 seems to recover its attitude. depending on the position of the trim indicator, the F1 will start to roll to the right, and i was able to trim it to neutral fight again. 

The test with only the 2 RP 35 under the wings is OK. No trim drift.

• Like 1