good "easy" AI aircraft to practice dogfighting

twistking

What are some AI aircraft that are easy to dogfight, but not completely outclassed by the Viper?
I used to practice against the old Migs (15, 19), but if you don't let them drag you into a slow turnfight, they are not really dangerous (anymore).
The logical step up would be the Mig-21, which i think fits my description of easy to dogfight, but i feel that the AI flightmodel gives the 21 absurd capabilities in certain situation. Not a big problem, but i do wonder if there are aircraft that give a similar challenge, but feel a bit less like a UFO.
Bonus points if that aircraft is not of Flanker (the game) vintage and has more than 10 polygons 🙂

Veteran level F-14B or F-15C. I tested with 80% fuel in all aircraft, opponent clean, the Viper with 4x AIM-120C and 2x AIM-9X. Both opponents make for a good training target for energy management. The F-14B can take quite a few hits before it goes down, the F-15C is harder to hit in the first place, because it jinks more effectively. I would say that the F-15C is a bit more of a challenge than the F-14B. Obviously, both are easy to kill if you actually use the missiles that you brought to the fight instead of the gun. If you have trouble outmaneuvering the targets for a gun kill, remove the missiles from the Viper.

Edited by Aquorys
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Aquorys said:

Veteran level F-14B or F-15C. I tested with 80% fuel in all aircraft, opponent clean, the Viper with 4x AIM-120C and 2x AIM-9X. Both opponents make for a good training target for energy management. The F-14B can take quite a few hits before it goes down, the F-15C is harder to hit in the first place, because it jinks more effectively. I would say that the F-15C is a bit more of a challenge than the F-14B. Obviously, both are easy to kill if you actually use the missiles that you brought to the fight instead of the gun. If you have trouble outmaneuvering the targets for a gun kill, remove the missiles from the Viper.

Thanks for the answer. I will try the F-14B first...
Do fuel level and stores have a real impact on AI aircraft? If so maybe one could tame some of the UFO flyers a bit by giving them "handicap" fuel tanks and forbid them to jettison or just load them up with super crappy first gen fox1 as "ballast"...

On 5/24/2023 at 8:27 PM, twistking said:

Thanks for the answer. I will try the F-14B first...
Do fuel level and stores have a real impact on AI aircraft? If so maybe one could tame some of the UFO flyers a bit by giving them "handicap" fuel tanks and forbid them to jettison or just load them up with super crappy first gen fox1 as "ballast"...

have a crack at this download by @=617= Evil. there are various missions, AG, AA, Nav, flying, etc, from easy to hard. there is one where you can chase 4 SU-25s around that do not fight back. you can open in mission editor and change the planes you are chasing. make sure you save as so not to destroy the original mission. then move on to a 2v1 with varying plane types and skill level.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3328191/

a lot of time was put into this bundle and i commend the author.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

I usually have good results with a MiG-21 or 23.  They are fast, but they don't turn anywhere near as hard.

F-5 is a fun cat and mouse game if you want something more challenging.  The F-5 will try to get you into a low and slow turning battle and you have to not fall for it when you're in an F-16.  It really emphasizes learning to use your 2 circle advantage.  And if all else fails, you can just out climb him.

Edited by SickSidewinder9

On 5/27/2023 at 1:50 PM, silverdevil said:

have a crack at this download by @=617= Evil. there are various missions, AG, AA, Nav, flying, etc, from easy to hard. there is one where you can chase 4 SU-25s around that do not fight back. you can open in mission editor and change the planes you are chasing. make sure you save as so not to destroy the original mission. then move on to a 2v1 with varying plane types and skill level.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3328191/

a lot of time was put into this bundle and i commend the author.

Hey thanks for the shoutout, dude! I've put a ton of work into those missions and It's really cool to see it get recommended to other members of the community. 🙂

• Like 2

On 5/24/2023 at 8:27 PM, twistking said:

Yes absolutely. Forcing fuel tanks on the MiG-15 can actually make it act reasonable.

• Thanks 1

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

On 5/30/2023 at 8:03 PM, =617= Evil said:

Hey thanks for the shoutout, dude! I've put a ton of work into those missions and It's really cool to see it get recommended to other members of the community. 🙂

most def buddy. i have a limited amount of time to fly and these missions are great to get the urge out of my system. i can tell you put a lot of time into them and i appreciate the effort.

• Thanks 1

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

Am 24.5.2023 um 20:03 schrieb twistking:

I used to practice against the old Migs (15, 19), but if you don't let them drag you into a slow turnfight, they are not really dangerous (anymore).

Problem is also their AI can be very buggy and nonsensical, so its hard for training. The Mig-21 is more sensible than the Mig-15 I feel.

The AI MIg-29 is fairly well done, but it can be a bit difficult. I actually found fighting the AI SU-27 pretty nice, because its big and easy to see, and the AI isnt too intelligent. F-14 might be similar to Flanker, but with more engine power; not sure if the AI struggles to fly that thing like a human does tho.

Edited by Temetre
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, twistking said:

OP dislikes public PvP 😉

OP, Sir, if your aim is to be good at BFM you cannot blossom by doing fights against broken records forever.

- Mark Twain 

But hey. I dont feel like going up against kill horny air to air jockeys all the time either.  lol 

Edited by Braunn

53 minutes ago, Braunn said:

OP, Sir, if your aim is to be good at BFM you cannot blossom by doing fights against broken records forever.

- Mark Twain

Well, there is private PvP as well for when i can reliably beat the broken records. But honestly, since i play co-op mostly, AI enemies are what i have to face. So it only makes sense to practice against them.