TrackIR awesomeness and some issues

So I got my TrackIR 4 Pro in the mail yesterday, and quickly set it up and ran some test flights, which was absolute awesomeness itemized. Standard settings seemed to work quite well but I started alt-tabbing to fine-tune things a bit. Then the TrackIR software suddenly started to constantly crash on me.

At the same time Vista started bitching at me that I should set the hardware in a faster USB port to amplify performance, which is strange. (It is a proper 2.0 port.)

Anyone else noticed issues like this on Vista64 or might know what's wrong? I know there's some baloney with the BIOS on my mainboard (XFX nForce 780i) but I haven't flashed the BIOS yet since I don't want to attempt that for the first time without having pure indication that it does have to be done.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Oh, and god damn it, accidently posted this into the wrong section. Sorry, meant to put it in the problems section. >.<

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I run Vista 64 too, and it doesn't like it when I plug USB devices into my Dell monitor and bitches that they could perform faster after using them for a short while. The connections on the PC itself are fine however, so I just use those instead.

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I also had intermittent issues with the TrackIR, I found uninstalling and re-installing usually fixes the problem, though I don't usually Alt-Tab as I found some programs just don't like it.

As to your faster usb thing - I kept getting the same "suggestion", and I run WinXP. Doesn't seem to be happening any more, though, and I don't know why it did stop.

No probs at all for me - Vista64 too. The only problem I have is that my pc desk is right next to a small pane glass window that didn't ever need curtains. That screws with TrackIR during day time play.

Wonder how the wife would react if I painted the window black.

Some preliminary testing seems to indicate that the problem MIGHT be related to windows forcing a switch from Vista Aero to Basic in some circumstances. When I set the window manager to permanently use the Basic scheme I haven't encountered the problem again.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Got TIR4 & Vista64 no problems.

You need the latest TIR drivers for BS. The one on the CD probably wont be the correct one.. have you downloaded the latest from their site?

Anyway Vista 64 and TIR4 is possible.. there are no compatibility issues. Good luck.

i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz, Asus P8Z77-V, 8 GB DDR3, 1.5GB GTX 480 (EVGA, superclocked), SSD, 2 x 1680x1050, x-fi extreme music.

TM Warthog, Saitek combat pro pedals, TrackIR 4

Vista 64 TIR3 Pro here, absolutley no issues at all with crashing.

I went down the thick drape road for my cave window. Looks nice, their really thick ones so pretty much cut out all light. They are a wife friendly solution.

Rock on, be strong! :thumbup:

Well, it hasn't been reproducible since I switched from Aero, which is really really odd. :P I am fairly sure I have the latest drivers, but I'll doublecheck that tomorrow since I just used it's auto-updater. Never trust those buggers to do anything right. :P

You other vista people, do you run in windowed mode? If in fullscreen, do you use windows Aero as a theme dressing? It's the one lead I have at the moment, but since I rather fancy the graphical prettiness I'd much like to find myself a more detailed idea of what the cause might be. (Hell, I think I'll just run a total driver update overhaul of the whole machine, good idea anyhow.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Well, it hasn't been reproducible since I switched from Aero, which is really really odd. :P I am fairly sure I have the latest drivers, but I'll doublecheck that tomorrow since I just used it's auto-updater. Never trust those buggers to do anything right. :P

You other vista people, do you run in windowed mode? If in fullscreen, do you use windows Aero as a theme dressing? It's the one lead I have at the moment, but since I rather fancy the graphical prettiness I'd much like to find myself a more detailed idea of what the cause might be. (Hell, I think I'll just run a total driver update overhaul of the whole machine, good idea anyhow.)

Fullscreen mode with no Aero. Maybe Aero is the culprit?

Rock on, be strong! :thumbup:

Purg, yep. All I've got on this machine is 2.0 ports, but two of them are extensions on the chassi but I never had it plugged into those for pure spacing reasons.

And yeah Rockstar, it just might be - I have seen quite a few applications (like mPlayer and so on) that for some reason force the window manager to temporarily disable Aero, and if something like that happens with BlackShark it might be causing some funniness. I'll spend the day flying and see if I can do a proper replication of the issue.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I was having some TrackIR oddities with Aero - set it to Vista Basic and haven't seen a reoccurance

"The only thing a chopper pilot should do downwind is take a leak" - CFI

CPL(H). AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6000+ @3.3 GHz, 2GB Corsair DDR2 667, nVidia GeForce 9600 GT 1 GB, SB Audigy 2.

Logitech Extreme 3D Pro modified: no centering springs, extended shaft. CH Pro Throttle; vertical chair mount.

You other vista people, do you run in windowed mode? If in fullscreen, do you use windows Aero as a theme dressing?

I play in Windowed mode... have Aero enabled... dont use any compatibility tricks etc, i just run BS & TIR like anything else, with no issues.

I use windowed mode cos' i use my 2nd monitor to display Abris & Shkval.

(Vista x64)

i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz, Asus P8Z77-V, 8 GB DDR3, 1.5GB GTX 480 (EVGA, superclocked), SSD, 2 x 1680x1050, x-fi extreme music.

TM Warthog, Saitek combat pro pedals, TrackIR 4

TrackIR device hates usb hubs. it allways did. Wish i could plug it into my dell monitor...

greetings to the dcs:bs community :pilotfly:

It should work fine with a powered USB hub (external power supply). Generally most USB hubs, on the Dell monitors, are powered and I haven't had an issue with my TrackIR plugged into it for testing.....

Vince,

I respectfully disagree. Before I purchased my newest monitor I was on a Dell 21 inch monitor and had my TrackIR plugged in there and ran into all sorts of issues. Plugging the TRackIR into the USB port on my new machine resolved the issue for me.

I've got even more random behaviour - track IR works if (and only if) I plug it into one of the two ports at the back of the monitor.

Additionally, my x52 Pro only works if I put it in the lower port on the side (other ones light up the stick but not the throttle, and the profile manager doesn't recognise the connection).

I'm not sure if Dell hubs are registered weirdly with windows, as I've had problems with mouse/keyboard if I change the ports they are plugged into.

glottis, that does sound like something is quite weird in how your computer handles it's USB ports. Not entirely sure about obvious ways to resolve it, though...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I have min eplugged into powered hub and have had no issues whats so ever.

On that note is it because mine is a powered highspeed hub?

Bullet

I7 4790K running at 4390 with a gigabyte board with 16 gigs of ram with an Asus gtx 660-ti and 2 tb of hard drive space on 2 wd hard drives. A X-65F Hotas with trackir4 and pro combat peddles. A kick butt home built machine unfortunately running a windows 7 OS.

I've got even more random behaviour - track IR works if (and only if) I plug it into one of the two ports at the back of the monitor.

Additionally, my x52 Pro only works if I put it in the lower port on the side (other ones light up the stick but not the throttle, and the profile manager doesn't recognise the connection).

I'm not sure if Dell hubs are registered weirdly with windows, as I've had problems with mouse/keyboard if I change the ports they are plugged into.

just a guess but probably a power issue, i know none of my dells have had seperate 5v power supplied to the hub and i'v ehad some devices have issue with this.

You could try reinstalling the USB stack, on the PC.