TIP.. Improve frame rate by 100% - 200%

delevero

:thumbup: Dear Forum.

Here is a tip to how you can improve the speed of your games, its espeically work very good with ka-50...

This program work on xp, and vista 32,64 bit... Im aware that it does not say anything about vista on the download page but I run it on vista and it work just fine. ( right click on it and choose to run as xp )

Okay.

The program is named " Prifinity " and its a program that can make games take advantage of multicore cpu's, dual core, quad core ect. A good exampel is the game Ka-50 that do not take full advantage of multi cpu's. When you run this software you will however be able to use all your cores even though the game is not designed to use them. :smartass:

The program is really easy to use.. Press add in the right corner and choose your exe file that stat your game, and then you can see it on the page. Now press right mouse on the name and choose how many cores you want to use and how hard they should work. By doing this you can increase your game frames pr. secound by 100 - 200% and since ka50 is very cpu heavy this will help you alot.

PriFinitty100.gif

You can download this free and small program for free here.

http://www.geocities.com/edgemeal_software/SetAffinity/index.htm

I hope you will have alot of good flying and enjoy the fps boost to your game.. This ofcourse also work in many other games, but many new games ofcourse are able to take full advantage of cores so you just have to try out the games you want to improve. Maybe they will take advantage maybe they will not.... but i serious recommend trying it with ka-50 :thumbup: Especially when you use quad core cpu's then you can expect a 100 - 200% increase in your fps ( frames pr secound ) Ofcourse it depend on your computer hardware but you will see a big jump in fps.

Edited by delevero

What version do you use?

1.2.0 or 2.02?

Foxconn BlackOps Intel X48 NB+SB+MOSFET Watercooled | Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme QX9650 @3,8GHz | 8GB Corsair XMS3 Extreme DDR3 @ 1600MHz 7-6-6-17 2T | GigaByte GeForce GTX 470 SOC 1280MB | Samsung 830 256GB SSD | 5x Western Digital Velociraptor 10.000rpm 300GB Raid0 | 2x Samsung 206BW 20" | Saitek X52 Pro | Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Sims :

DCS - KA-50 Black Shark 2

DCS - KA-50 Black Shark Advanced Checklist

DCS - A-10C Warthog Advanced Interactive Excel Checklist

Hi again.

I did never use the windows task manager but i have just tried and it does not take advantage of 4 cores and i also set the computer to use "high" system resource, and also the frame rate i son 55fps. When i use prifinity i have more than 100fps most of the time. ( you can see this with left CTRL + PRC screen )

The good thing about prifinity is that when you one time have set this up all you have to do is make sure the program is running then it automatic enable the cores. ;-)

Im using the version 1.1.7 i did never try the new version that i have linked to.

Well try it and give me your appinion and feedback ;-)

NOt tried yet but I don't think this makes any differences in win XP for DCS:BS. Since I moved my BS installation to Vista (taking advantage of the actual CPU affinity) I'm not testing this back in XP. If someone could try it in XP some comments would be welcome.

My rig specs:

Intel Core i7 4770 @3.4Ghz // Corsair 16GB DDR3 // MoBo Asus Z87K // HDD 1TB 7200RPM // eVGA Nvidia GTX 760GT 2GB DDR5 // LG 3D 47" 1920x1080 // Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS // Saitek Combat Pro Pedals // Thrustmaster MFD Cougar pack // PS3 Eye + FTNOIR

It's no different to setting the affinity of the cores yourself or any number of methods that others use in an attempt to spread the threads over multiple cores found on here.

I would also doubt that it would give you any performance boost under XP.

delevero,

You mention your OS is vista, what else you got under the hood? Your in game graphics settings would help us evaluate the effectiveness of this program. I personally have noticed an improvement using the manual method of setting affinity in WinXP32 but it is a PITA to have to do every mission. The biggest improvement came with a simple OC to 2.8ghz on my cpu.

-op4

Rig Specs: AMD FX-60 @ 2.6ghz - DFI Lanparty SLI UT - 4gb Mushkin Redline Ram - WD Raptor 300gb HDD - EVGA 260GTX 940mb - SoundBlaster something Live:P - Samsung 20.1" Syncmaster 204B (Camera) and Shuttle 17" xp17 (Abris & Shkval)

Flight Controls: Franken Force CH 568/Logitech Wingman Force 3D Hybrid - CH Pro Throttle - Logitech Momo Wheel Conversion to FFB pedals - Belkin N52

hmmm

Hi guys.

Well the funny thing is that I cannot make it work my self anymore.

Me and to other friends used this software 1 month ago, and since then i have bought a core i 7 cpu and sold the old qx6850. Both are quad core, but!!!! the qx6850 do not use the new quad core arcitecture so I belive that this maybe is the problem on my pc now.... It sound strange but i have to investigate.. My fram rate is by the way 55fps with a core i7 940

We were 3 guys playing. One with a dual core and he had a little increase in fps, and the other and me had a quad core and we have 100% increase and had a frame rate of more than 100 most of the time.

I also tried the new version of prifinity and the old one 1.1.7 but its like prifinity have no effect right now and i do not understand why.. I will test and fool arround with this and get back to this forum..

Sorry that i made this topic i just wanted to share this with people so they could get the best out of their game... well i guess that is life sometimes ;-) :helpsmilie: :)

My computer

Core i7 940 clocked to 3325 mhz

6gb ddr 3 1600mhz ram

ati radeon 4870x2 and its wather cooled. ( by kollance )

Update.

I now have found some kind of error with prifinity.. when the game ka-50 start up i can see that the launcher.exe and ka50.exe that starte the game use prifinity and all the cores in my cpu. But when i in the main menu choose quick flight then the game kill "prifinity" and then the game only start up with with 1 core. " i do not know why the game do this or what i have done wrong becourse last time i used ka50 with the other cpu and chipset it worked just fine increasing speed by 100 - 200% fps.... So maybe if someone would like to try this software and do not have a Core i7 cpu from intel, then does this program work for you ???

Hi i made a profile for both dcs.exe and launcher.exe with 4 cores, and set it to use ABOVE.

I now found out that the problem why it was not working is that with a core i7 you have 8 cores ( 4 real cores, and 4 "fiktive" ) so when i told prifinity to use 4 cores then it worked but i only had an increase of 20 - 30 fps.... but its a start and 20 - 30 fps will help most people ;-)

All the other posts on the same subject here and you just discovered this? And, how did you get it to work on XP? I don't think anyone else has been able to get it to work on XP. Do a search and you'll find countless threads on this.

Edited by Mxyzpylk
typo

Delevero

You are unlikely to get a reliable performance increase using prifinitty (or similar programs that are not specifically made for Black Shark). This is because to get a reliable performance increase from Black Shark, the program must delay at least several seconds before setting the affinity. If it does not insert the delay, sometimes there is a performance increase, and sometimes there is not.

Because of this problem, a number of people (including me) have written specific programs to reliably set the affinity in Black Shark to all cores. A good thread listing the options is here: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=37249 . I strongly recommend that you use one of those programs instead of prifinitty.

I'm confused about the whole core affinity thing. I'm running an E6600 at default 2.4Ghz with XP Pro SP3, would I benefit in any way from utilizing this tool???

Probably not. Generally, only people using Vista have seen a performance increase when setting the affinity of Black Shark to multiple cores. It seems to make no difference in XP.

This is not a tip but wrong info.

I hope delevero would edit the title thou I value his effort.

It could waste someone's time.

System: Core2Duo E8500, 4G ram, GTX260, SLC SSD, and Vista 32bit. LG W2600HP 26" LCD.

Controls : MSFFB2, CH Pro throttle, Saitek rudder, Saitek throttle quadrant, and TrackIR4

BS Setting : medium with visibility HIGH

More skill you get, more you Love DCS:Black Shark.

BS! this piece of software doesn't give any fps boost in XP. I already tested. It does exactly the same than adjusting the CPU affnity by yourself. This tool may improve other non-multicore apps but this is not the case for DCS: Black Shark, period.

My rig specs:

Intel Core i7 4770 @3.4Ghz // Corsair 16GB DDR3 // MoBo Asus Z87K // HDD 1TB 7200RPM // eVGA Nvidia GTX 760GT 2GB DDR5 // LG 3D 47" 1920x1080 // Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS // Saitek Combat Pro Pedals // Thrustmaster MFD Cougar pack // PS3 Eye + FTNOIR

well i tried it and i have to say it works in blackshark as well as in arma .

it gives me 15-25 frames in addition in blackshark and 5-10 frames in arma !

for me it works fine ! ... more than that :thumbup:

my system

intel 8500 E0 stepping @ 4.0something ghz

@FSB 450 mhz

2gig patriot ram @ i think something over 500 mhz

win xp 32 bit

and a ati hd4870 1gig (overclocked but not much ;-)

with resolution 1920x1200

Schnarre

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There are two types of fighter pilots - those who have, and those who will execute a magnificent break turn towards a bug on the canopy . . . .

http://www.youtube.com/user/schnarrsonvomdach

http://www.twitch.tv/schnarre

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Schnarre-Schnarrson/876084505743788?fref=ts

Indeed 7rooper, the reason this trick gives you an effect in Vista but not in XP is that Vista has better multicore management.

(One of these days we'll stop hearing the old chant of how Vista sucks and XP rocks... :P )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Delevero

You are unlikely to get a reliable performance increase using prifinitty (or similar programs that are not specifically made for Black Shark). This is because to get a reliable performance increase from Black Shark, the program must delay at least several seconds before setting the affinity. If it does not insert the delay, sometimes there is a performance increase, and sometimes there is not.

Because of this problem, a number of people (including me) have written specific programs to reliably set the affinity in Black Shark to all cores. A good thread listing the options is here: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=37249 . I strongly recommend that you use one of those programs instead of prifinitty.

I have tested this program a while ago, but gained exactly 0 FPS. I tested with Fraps while running the same track twice and here are the results: http://tols17.oulu.fi/~ailomaki/bs/bsmulticoretest.jpg

My CPU is a Q6600 quad core and the OS is 32bit Vista. HAve you guys tried to run tests like that? Are there some settings in Win I should be looking for, I don't really quite understand how the affinity trick would help an inherently non-multi-CPU simulator such as BS and I would definitely like to learn more.

My blog full of incoherent ramblings on random subjects: https://anttiilomaki.wordpress.com/

I think it helps through helping the OS spread various applications to the other cores instead of having them all end up on one - that is, if you have a bunch of OS-related things on core0 but nothing on core1, a non-tweaked DCS will still be running on core0, but the OS can then move it to core1 as needed.

The tests I ran were mostly an identical map made myself with FRAPS running, and I'd then check what happens. The effect was dramatic even when doing it manually through an alt-tab. However, on the laptop which runs Vista32 the effect was very small, though that might well be due to RAM or GPU becoming a new bottleneck whereas the stronger computer which just happened to be running Vista64 has a much better GPU and RAM setup wherefore it doesn't encounter that new bottleneck.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I have tested this program a while ago, but gained exactly 0 FPS.

Which program did you test? If you tested Prifinitty, then I am not surprised you did not see any difference.

For the programs in the link I posted, you definately should see a performance improvement. Hundreds of people have used them, and to my knowledge, they almost always increase performance when set up properly. It would help if you could explain exactly, step by step, what program you used and exactly how you tested it.

Oh of course I forgot to mention that I was referring to the DCS affinity tool. I first ran the test by simply launching the single player mode, loading up a track file and recording a one-minute piece from the moment the chopper lifts off. Then I went and did it again by starting the single player mode through the affinity tool. The recordings came up practically identical. I'll try the Affinity tool again while recording the CPU load.

My blog full of incoherent ramblings on random subjects: https://anttiilomaki.wordpress.com/

Ok, just tested Instant Action with and without the affinity tool. At first I thought I actually had some sort of a result with total CPU load hovering at around 30+%, but then I realized that I had some processes running that would account for the ten or so percent increase over the 25% load (maximum for single CPU). Sure enough, when I ran without the Affinity tool I got exactly hte same result (was only checking the CPU load, not FPS). The affinity tool did work since I saw the load bounce constantly from one CPU to another, but it didn't manage to utilize the extra CPU power. If anything, there was slight extra load from constantly switching the execution from one CPU to another, which is frankly pretty much what I'd expect to see when making an inherently single-CPU application run on several cores. Any ideas about how I could get the FPS increase?

Quite hard to say without further information on your hardware.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester