Introducing Meta Quest 3

YoYo

1 hour ago, Hoirtel said:

My Q3 has been dispatched, so hopefully able to post some initial thoughts quite soon. However I suppose there is a chance that we will get DCS 2.9 this week too, so potential big changes. 

Mine is still showing a Wed delivery. 

I ordered late though, about a week or little more ago - from Amazon.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

25 minutes ago, vladimusmaximus said:

My Quest 3 128 is on the way, will likely get it by Friday. I'm an ex Aero user, definitely spoiled me with the resolution, but I'm really looking forward to the Q3. 2.9 with DLSS would be a very welcome addition this week as well so we can push super-sampling.

Nice hope you enjoy it! Probably won't be much close to Aero image but hopefully it will be good enough for ya and certainly is a much cheaper price.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Can't wait for the thing... preordered on the day after the keynote, but it hasn't left the company that I ordered it from yet, guess DHL will pick it up today and then only the princesses know how long it will take. I just had to snag it day one - the better lenses, better FOV, better audio and also the AR/MR features, the better guardian system... so many improvements over the predecessors!

Can't wait for DLSS support in DCS 2.9 either. I still don't know why, but ever since somewhere around late summer / early fall 2020 my DCS performance when using Quest headsets is completely abysmal and that issue has survived a few OS reinstalls, a completely newly built PC and the switch from Quest 1 to Quest 2. I can run DCS in the CV1 at 90fps, but only getting around 20 in the Quests at literally the same rendering res, same graphics settings. Regardless of the connection I use - tried them all - wired Link, Air Link and, of course, Virtual Desktop. When I got my Q1 in March 2020, it was just brilliant, for about 3-4 months... I'd just love to get my performance back at some point...

Also have been using the Reverb G2, but that one keeps making the WMR software crash way too often ever since I swapped the 1080 with the 3070. Didn't get the newer V2 cable though and I'm on a 5800x, so I guess that might be the reason for that. Just weird it never was a problem when I still had the 1080 in the same rig - which was the main reason why I never cared about trying to get the cable replacement when I still was eligible for it, by being within warranty. Should have done that anyways...

And well, speaking of DLSS: In that other sim, you know, the civil one that replaced Crysis as the benchmark, I kinda miss the purpose of it, I get worse visuals thanks to the artifacts coming from scaling stuff up bases off of a lower rendering res, but I don't gain performance at all. Well, the complete opposite goes for No Man's Sky, which runs like garbage on my rig (20-25fps range at medium settings) with no AA method at all (to save performance on that stuff), but then instantly kicks up to 90fps flat with DLSS enabled on Quality setting, there's even no need to lower it down to the more performant modes. And I can't see any artificats either. It's simply just pure black magic happening there, and I love it! And that's exactly what I want it to do in my good, old, beloved DCS as well! I don't know, how this can be achieved, but ED, please, justmake it happen, somehow! princess_celestia.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

My Q3 will be here today.

:thumbup:

Elite Battery Pack and Strap will be here Thursday. Looking forward to trying this headset out in stand alone mode.

Don B

I've just spent the last hour with my Q3 and DCS. Yep. Definitely a nice leap over the Q2. The pancake lenses are as good as everyone makes them out to be. There's no small sweet spot anymore and everything is in focus from the centre to the corners. There's a nice increase in FOV and it definitely seems a bit brighter in display over the Q2. You can't really see pixels anymore, but you can see anti-aliasing/jaggies. I have a 7950x3d and 4090 so no slouch and was getting 65-72 fps on Persian Gulf in the FA/18 ready on the ramp. Obviously need to tweak it but everything was set at maximum DCS graphic settings and 1.3x scaling at 72hz in the oculus control panel. I think it's now quite telling that you can actually notice lower res textures on some of the models. The biggest QOL feature is the colour passthrough. As a glasses user, it's just so handy to be able to double tap the side of the headset and you can see your surroundings. No need to keep putting on and off when you need to see something in the real world. Just leave it on. Sure, it's not super high res or anything but more than usable to put the headset on and startup your game etc. The straps seemed comfortable and were a nice snug fit on my head. You probably won't need the 3rd party halo strap anymore as the headset seem light enough and doesn't want to droop down like the old Q2 and strap did.

If only the PC app supported hand tracking. That would literally be a game changer. Yes, you can use a leap motion but honestly, it doesn't work that well. On Q3 native, hand tracking is fantastic and the ability to click on things without the controllers is so good. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Hoirtel said:

Its arrived, unboxed already and wow feels slimmer and much more comfortable!! On charge now and will try it later. Got to work today.. 😭

Nice!

Ya know retirement - is a wonderful thing! 

Don B

I've just spent the last hour with my Q3 and DCS. Yep. Definitely a nice leap over the Q2. The pancake lenses are as good as everyone makes them out to be. There's no small sweet spot anymore and everything is in focus from the centre to the corners. There's a nice increase in FOV and it definitely seems a bit brighter in display over the Q2. You can't really see pixels anymore, but you can see anti-aliasing/jaggies. I have a 7950x3d and 4090 so no slouch and was getting 65-72 fps on Persian Gulf in the FA/18 ready on the ramp. Obviously need to tweak it but everything was set at maximum DCS graphic settings and 1.3x scaling at 72hz in the oculus control panel. I think it's now quite telling that you can actually notice lower res textures on some of the models. The biggest QOL feature is the colour passthrough. As a glasses user, it's just so handy to be able to double tap the side of the headset and you can see your surroundings. No need to keep putting on and off when you need to see something in the real world. Just leave it on. Sure, it's not super high res or anything but more than usable to put the headset on and startup your game etc. The straps seemed comfortable and were a nice snug fit on my head. You probably won't need the 3rd party halo strap anymore as the headset seem light enough and doesn't want to droop down like the old Q2 and strap did.
If only the PC app supported hand tracking. That would literally be a game changer. Yes, you can use a leap motion but honestly, it doesn't work that well. On Q3 native, hand tracking is fantastic and the ability to click on things without the controllers is so good. 
That sounds decent, almost like the G2 resolution all over which is basically what I wanted. Were you using the link cable?

I'm hoping someone can compare it to the quest pro. If it can stay locked at 72hz all the time the only difference might just be the colors and the FOV which is a bit bigger on the 3.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

26 minutes ago, Vladdo said:

and 1.3x scaling at 72hz in the oculus control panel.

Thanks for the first impression. I would like to clarify this point though. According to specs Q3 is not supporting 72hz but you say it does. Is that right?

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

I'm curious too, as I saw 72 as an option mentioned by another reviewer on reddit. 
I'd say meta underestimated the interest the 512GB version would have, as it appears there's a shortage and delivery has been delayed for many orders
This article says it does state 72hz.

https://venturebeat.com/metaverse/hands-on-with-the-500-meta-quest-3-vr-headset/

Also if you plan on using it for DCS the 512gb should not matter. But if you actually plan on installing many titles for standalone then yea it will.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

9 minutes ago, sze5003 said:

According to Meta website it’s not 

image.png

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

23 minutes ago, Dogmanbird said:

I'm curious too, as I saw 72 as an option mentioned by another reviewer on reddit. 

I'd say meta underestimated the interest the 512GB version would have, as it appears there's a shortage and delivery has been delayed for many orders

According to reviewers, yes it does support 72 Hz.

Don B

These are the options that I get in oculus PC desktop app.
q3.png.db77d3acc92ffdef2d1c5de62a600722.png
Since you have a 4090 do we know if it was using av1 encoding by default? It should otherwise you would have seen some really compressed images. Since it was over airlink too.

10 minutes ago, Vladdo said:

These are the options that I get in oculus PC desktop app.

q3.png

very strange incosistency from Meta. I guess if you enable experimental options you will also see 120

11 minutes ago, Dogmanbird said:

with all the talk of it only supporting 90 or possibly 120, i wonder if 72 is actually running at 72?

Yes - the reviewers that initially stated that have made the correction.

Don B

i'm not sure many if the reviewers are capable of seeing the difference, but if it is truly capable of 72 and 80, that's great news 🙂

if someone's got a dslr or mirrorless camera and can hold it to a lens, we'll figure it out

edit - could use a phone camera pointed at a lens. if you can't see any banding, or if you see a band moving very very slowly up or down, take a pic, use something like Faststone Image Viewer to check the photo exif data and the shutter speed used. will be great to know 72 and 80 really work.

Edited by Dogmanbird