Introducing Meta Quest 3

YoYo

apparently;

- an option to automagically turn on cabled link within the headset, when the cable is plugged in

- an option to turn off the proximity sensor and also adds an option to keep the headset awake permanently (or till the power button is briefly pressed, which will put the displays to sleep / wake up)

a couple of steps closer to the convenience of the G2 🙂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dogmanbird said:

apparently;

- an option to automagically turn on cabled link within the headset, when the cable is plugged in

- an option to turn off the proximity sensor and also adds an option to keep the headset awake permanently (or till the power button is briefly pressed, which will put the displays to sleep / wake up)

a couple of steps closer to the convenience of the G2 🙂

I think these might be developer settings, but I'm not sure I will be checking later today.

Somehow only my windows app shows v.59 while the headset still has .57. I do have all those new options (for a week now).
The battery-life is hugely improved, even without setting that power mode. I drained the battery in about 1.5 hours before at 90hz, now it is 'not a topic'.

my headset (and controllers) must have updated during the last 12 hours as it show as v59 and I now have the extra developer options for display timer off and detecting the link cable 👍

edit - i wonder if the proximity specific option has been re-labelled with the 'wake headset when there's movement' option?  not there at all it seems 

edit edit - and the oculus PC software has just updated.

I reckon I can see a modest fps improvement too. I can now almost run 45hz locked ASW smoothly on the Marianas map flying low in the huey with no other settings changed. The link settings are great (thank you meta) and can now take headset off, sit in on the ground for a while without fear of DCS crashing 👍

Edited by Dogmanbird
  • Like 3

There's still no specific proximity sensor setting that I have found. Therefore I still need to place some semi opaque tape over the sensor to stop the displays going blank (but can see display backlight is still on). If they go blank or the headset fully sleeps (and turbo mode is turned on), DCS will  crash.

We're nearly there 🙂 i wonder what happened to the proximity setting? Maybe they are worried about burn in?

Edited by Dogmanbird

5 hours ago, Camelot101 said:

Did you enable the developer options? 

Yes, the option to disable the proximity sensor is not there, but the other options shown in the video are present.

Sim Rig: Intel 12700KF, MSI RTX4090, 32GB DDR4@3200, Quest 3 headset, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind pedals

Have you guys figured out the best way to play DCS with the Quest 3? I've tried Link, but it's horribly blurry. No idea what Im doing wrong.

On 10/26/2023 at 3:26 PM, Snuten said:

Im just gonna share my settings for the Quest 3 that Im quite happy with as a former Reverb G2 user. Sure, with the G2 and 4xMSAA I get much shaper image in centre and can see much further (witch I think is because I used much higher SS but it also was 90hz at 45 fps with Motion Re-projection)

Now Im running in 72fps almost fluid with no motion re-projection(ASW) like 95% of the times, even low over dense areas, with the exception of Marinas Map, that one have issues even over the sea.(I have all maps) 🙂

I do use both DLSS with a DCS PD of 1.35(enter it via the options.lua file) and 1.3x scale @72hz in Oculus app. And I also override this a bit via OpenXR Toolkit and using CAS as scaler(see image). I know that Im using scaling and stuff via several plugins/apps. But I can't see any direct performance hit by doing so. Tried all combos now I think 😄 

But this is running really smooth with some exceptions because I had to move the DCS install to a Sata SSD(to get the multithreading to work without all the constant stutter). So I guess the occasional "evenly burst stutter" I get now is when loading in areas/textures, especially in the first 3-5 minutes, and that it's due to the slower SATA drive. 

All in all, the 72fps, slightly better FOV, edge to edge clarity and the pancake lenses, this wins over the G2 for me.

My specs:

Win10 64bit, AMD 7800X3D, 32 GB 6000mhz Ram, RTX-4090, Quest 3 with an inline powered link cable. 

The last image is what it looks like over Haifa in the Syria map.

Unfortunately my Windows Screenshot plugin crashed and did not restart when I took screenshots of nVidia settings, but I think the rest is more common sense. 🙂

Forgot about the Swedish in the Nvidia settings. But I think it is listed in the same order?

In the 1st image and in bold text is FXAA=Off and Edge AA=On and Prefer Maximum Performance
In the 2nd image it is Texture filtering and is in order: On, Performance, Allow and On

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

DCS World_20231026_193843_CAS_100_35_R.jpg

DCS World_20231026_194145_CAS_100_35_R.jpg

DCS World_20231026_194151_CAS_100_35_R.jpg

DCS World_20231026_194155_CAS_100_35_R.jpg

DCS World_20231026_194158_CAS_100_35_R.jpg

DCS World_20231026_194202_CAS_100_35_R.jpg

DCS World_20231026_194446_CAS_100_35_R.jpg

This is really confusing. Why stack so many PD settings in different places. Also how are you using OpenXR with Oculus Link? Mine doesnt seem to work in this case.

7 hours ago, Camelot101 said:

I can't even get Turbo Mode to turn on without locking up DCS

Have you tried disabling the sensor through the debug tool?  Its not a lockable change, but the option is there.

the solution to getting turbo mode on for me - uninstall the oxrtoolkit then reinstall it, run the single threaded version of DCS and immediately turn turbo on before doing anything else, then exit DCS and run in multithreaded mode and it should be on.

Open your oculus PC software app and check that oculus openXR runtime is enabled

You can use these commands to force OpenXR and VR when opening DCS, though I believe using multithreaded mode uses openXR regardless

—force_OpenXR —force_enable_VR

On 11/4/2023 at 4:58 AM, vladimusmaximus said:

Have you guys figured out the best way to play DCS with the Quest 3? I've tried Link, but it's horribly blurry. No idea what Im doing wrong.

If you've got a similar system, i get my best fps performance / visually appealing results in dcs by doing the following. I have all in-game graphics at their maximum settings except lens flares, motion blur, depth of field effects etc, which I turn off;

during this last week, I think i've tried just about all combinations of settings, just to get back to the performance I had with the reverb G2.

system 5800x3d, 4090, 32gig ram 3600, all NVME drives

in Oculus app PC software;

- don't touch the oculus device resolution setting. leave it set to auto. ASW doesn't seem to engage under certain conditions if the res not at auto

- set your 72 /80 / 90 hz as you wish.

in OBT, don't adjust anything except;

- use sliced encoding (no longer sure this is actually having an affect)

- bitrate at either 500 or 960 (keeps consistent audio)

- set sharpening to quality

- set pixel density to whatever gives you satisfactory sharpness v performance (or leave it at 0 and do it in the game)   I choose to set only the in game PD to 1.8 or higher and leave debug tool at 0        As Snuten suggested - openxr toolkit 'resolution override' now seems to offer better performance than doing it in-game

in OXRTK;

- turn on turbo mode if using multithreaded dcs, otherwise the game may have regular short pauses regardless of gfx settings

in ODBT CLI;

- set ASW to 30Hz   I use the batch file mentioned a couple of pages back    (may not be necessary now that openxr toolkit 'resolution override' seems to offer better performance)

I prefer the multithreaded mode's DLAA anti aliasing option. It's clear and runs smoothly using the above settings over cabled link

Edited by Dogmanbird

So this thing can scan its environment in 3D and activate/deactivate passthrough on parts of the screens (as you are entering the boundaries you set). Am I dreaming too much to imagine that you could define a fixed 3D area (a physical cockpit for example) where passthrough remains active while the rest of the display (like the DCS view) remains VR on the display and create an hybrid reality where you could physically interact with a real cockpit while looking at a virtual landscape? 

I have played with that in a sim displayed during last year at the NBAA in Orlando, and it was working well, but I guess with more expensive/pro type of gear. Now the Quest 3 seems to have everything it needs to do that?

On 11/3/2023 at 7:58 PM, vladimusmaximus said:

This is really confusing. Why stack so many PD settings in different places. Also how are you using OpenXR with Oculus Link? Mine doesnt seem to work in this case.

Yes it is a bit confusing, but I have found that using resolution override in OpenXR gives me better fps than just increasing the DCS PD more. And also it seems to get sharper(less blurry ) in distance by doing so. Also, I can't get more PD (SS) from the oculus app, and Oculus Debug tool resolution override don't work for me. I have increased it in OpenXR TK even more and I am now super happy. 

Not sure about you not getting OpenXR TK to work. Perhaps you need to force openXR via your DCS.exe shortcut? 

Edited by Snuten

On 10/20/2023 at 5:01 PM, samplethief said:

Snuten, do you have the game installed on an NVME? Might sound crazy but try installing it to a sata ssd instead. 

Fixed microstutters for me. Nothing else worked. Even when I upgraded to a 7800X3D.

Guess what I did just now? I copied DCS install folder back to my very same NVME disc again, and now it works without stutter. Quite weird though. But Im happy since now I have decent loading times again. The Sata SSD took ages to from start DCS to cockpit with textures. 🙂  (And yes, I triple checked that I'm running from the new location and MT version) 🙂

It would be cool to know if this would work for you as well. And don't move the folder, just copy paste it, in case it's not working for you.

On 11/4/2023 at 10:33 AM, lt_d4n said:

Can someone who uses the fixed foveated give me their configuration file?thks

Here is what I use, you can see the lowered rendering on the edges a bit looking at menu's but I hardly notice them while flying.  

image.png

settings.cfg

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASRock X670E Steel Legend | 64GB (2x32GB) G.Skill Trident Z5 DDR5-6000MHz CL32 | XFX RX 7900 XTX Merc 310 24GB GDDR6 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe | Corsair HX1000i 1000W 80+ Platinum (2022) | Meta Quest 3 512GB | Dell S3422DWG 34" 144Hz UWQHD (3440x1440) | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base & Grip with 200mm VPC Flightstick Extension | VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle | VPC ACE Collection Rudder Pedals | VPC Control Panel #2 & VPC SharKa-50 Control Panel

18 hours ago, Snuten said:

Guess what I did just now? I copied DCS install folder back to my very same NVME disc again, and now it works without stutter. Quite weird though. But Im happy since now I have decent loading times again. The Sata SSD took ages to from start DCS to cockpit with textures. 🙂  (And yes, I triple checked that I'm running from the new location and MT version) 🙂

It would be cool to know if this would work for you as well. And don't move the folder, just copy paste it, in case it's not working for you.

Great news. Maybe they patched it in 2.9? 

I might give it a try sometime soon. Although I dont really notice too much of a difference in load times, and if it aint broke... haha

1 hour ago, samplethief said:

Great news. Maybe they patched it in 2.9? 

I might give it a try sometime soon. Although I dont really notice too much of a difference in load times, and if it aint broke... haha

Haha

And yes, perhaps it was fixed in that 2.9 patch, did't think of that 🙂 

On 11/2/2023 at 11:17 PM, TimberWolf said:

I have v.59, but I don't have the option of bypassing the proximity sensor, as shown in that video. Strange.

I had that option available for a couple of days on my Q3 last week but it's gone now.  My guess is they probably removed it due to the extreme sensitivity of the Q3.  If I placed my Q3 on a table where the headstrap landed in the right place, it would wake up.  Sucks because on my QPro, the proximity sensor is not sensitive enough and I always have to (plug in USB) to disable the sensor with SideQuest.

It was nice while it lasted, lol!

Abit IN9 32x MAX- Kentsfield QX6700 @3520

1.5 vcore watercooled D-Tek Fuzion/PA-160/MCR120/2x MCP655

2x2GB G-Skill 1066 5-5-5-15 2T@1.9vdimm

2x EVGA 580GTX 1.5GB SLI

2x 74GB Sata Raptor Raid0

2x 320GB Hitachi Sata II

X-FI Elite Pro

Dell U3011

Lian Li V2100B

Corsair HX1000