Introducing Meta Quest 3

YoYo

6 hours ago, splash said:

Hi, I'm thinking in buying a Meta Quest 3, does someone who owns this model and the official cable link can tell me if it charges the device while playing? How many hours you can fly with the cable plugged in? Above it has been commented but I hesitate if buying the official cable USB-C to USB-C (I have 1 port) or look for an unofficial USB-C to USB-A (I have a 16-port USB 3.0 HUB with external power).

It's less about the cable itself and more about how much power can your motherboard or hub provide on the USB port.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

seems that more people are having greater success with USB-C 9v 2.2A or higher rather than USB-A 5v at any current. 

The Aliexpress Minisopuru store has it on special $30-$38 AUD including delivery

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005883913960.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.5.21ef1802YgAP1y

null

image.png

Edited by Dogmanbird

9 hours ago, splash said:

This is my hub:

https://i-tec.pro/en/produkt/u3chargehub16-2/

Do you believe it is valid?  Up to 10W charging power per port and 5 Gbps of data transfer.

10W isn't going to be enough to maintain the Q3 battery. That's about the same power that most USB-C ports can deliver, so you might as well just use that if your PC has one.

Sim Rig: Intel 12700KF, MSI RTX4090, 32GB DDR4@3200, Quest 3 headset, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind pedals

2 hours ago, lt_d4n said:

I would like to ask if you see the labels inside the cockpit blurred. I have tried DLSS, DLAA and MSAA and I cannot see the cockpit clearly. Same with mfds

What could it be?

thks

Need to crank up your base resolution in both the oculus link app and openxr and dcs. Use Snutens settings from earlier in the thread.

yes it can, but it's pretty poor from my experiences with it. I'd say the tracking data is noisy and they've had to filter it considerably to get it somewhat stable, but that's created lag. It doesn't track well to the sides of the body. Finger interaction is also iffy

The leap motion controller v2 is a lot better. It's about $230 aud. It's what I'm using but unfortunately it does add a little to the weight of the headset, plus an extra cable running to the headset. Finger interaction "was" okay till the 2.9 update where it's now working intermittently. I don't use finger interaction (only pointing) and use buttons on the hotas to flick the switches and turn the dials that I'm pointing at

Edited by Dogmanbird

1 hour ago, Dogmanbird said:

yes it can, but my it's pretty poor from my experiences with it. I'd say the tracking data is pretty noisy and they've had to filter it considerably to get it somewhat stable, but that's created lag. It doesn't track well to the sides of the body. Finger interaction is also iffy

The leap motion controller v2 is a lot better. It's about $230 aud. It's what I'm using but unfortunately it does add a little to the weight of the headset, plus an extra cable running to the headset. Finger interaction "was" okay till the 2.9 update where it's now working intermittently. I don't use finger interaction (only pointing) and use buttons on the hotas 

How do you even get the hand tracking working? I had thought I enabled it but all I can do is call the oculus menus by punching first finger and thumb. Really easy to start recording but that's about all I can do with it. Does it actually support leap motion style hand tracking? I would like to try it even if it's a bit rubbish...

If you've still got your leap drivers installed, they must be removed for the oculus controllers and hands to show as an option. An option for "controllers" and "tracking" will then be present in the VR drop down menu.

I hope they fix it so both can exist, and also give us back the lasers once entering the cockpit. once in the plane, I can only see the crosshairs at the moment

Edited by Dogmanbird

13 hours ago, Mikelug said:

Is it worth upgrading from HP Reverb to Q3?
I have IPD 72.5 which is a bit uncomfortable with small G2's sweetspot.

I'm mostly playing flight sims and iracing.

If your main concern is with IPD, I reckon you'd be fine as the lenses are so clear at the edges and it extends to about 7.1. I leave it set at max and everyone who's tried it with me had no problems with it at max, even folk who usually needed the g2 set to 5.8 for their vision to be comfortable 

I don't use iracing, but I love it in AMS2 and Assetto Corsa. There's presently a bug with oculus 5.9 pc software which is preventing opencomposite from working (which means I need to use oculus' openxr), so I can't adjust the world scale via openxrtoolkit (for assetto). The world is far too small without it. People have rolled back to 5.7 to fix it   opencomposite discord chat says it's fixed in the latest system-wide opencomposite switcher update

AMS2 has it's own scale adjustment so no probs there

Edited by Dogmanbird

On 11/10/2023 at 12:38 AM, Dogmanbird said:

seems that more people are having greater success with USB-C 9v 2.2A or higher rather than USB-A 5v at any current. 

The Aliexpress Minisopuru store has it on special $30-$38 AUD including delivery

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005883913960.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.5.21ef1802YgAP1y

null

image.png

One of these arrived today and I can confirm it charges while flying 👍🙂 

With only the quest 3 attached in the charge port (no other USB devices attached) the charge increases about 2% every 5 minutes so far while playing over cable link. It's meter says it's outputting 21 watts

With the Leap motion v2 (which is pretty thirsty) plugged into another port, the charge rate drops to about 1% every 30 minutes or sometimes a very slow discharge. The meter says about 8 watts

** just to note

- on my motherboard, to get the headset to connect at over 8 watts, the cable needs to be connected to the headset first, then connect the other end to the hub. If not in this order, it will not go above 8 watts. Unplugging/re-plugging at the headset end does not appear to bring it back up to 20w

- if I change headset frequencies or resolutions causing the headset to briefly reset, the hub may drop back to 8 watts. Therefore I need to unplug cable at hub, wait a few seconds, then re connect at hub. Not a deal breaker for me but it caught me out a few times.

Special price ends in the next day or so. It's currently $29.95 aud delivered. Took 5 days to arrive.

Timberwolf - thanks for suggesting that one 👍

Edited by Dogmanbird

Hello!

What are the best choices/options to make with the Oculus 3? Is it possible to put it on the 1st page as well? I've looked at the topic a bit but not completely, I've probably missed some posts about it...

I have Virtual Desktop if needed, Ryzen 7600x and a 3800ti with 64GB of memory.

13 hours ago, samplethief said:

Just tried it. I get stutters. Ah well. Back to the SSD!

Darn it 😞 It is now even a weirder issue. I thought I was maybe something with registry(or some file in the DCS folder) that perhaps got "reseted" by executing it from different drives that fixed it, but obviously not. 🙂

Im happy mine works with the nvm2 drive now. Loading times went from like 55 sec with Sata to 15 sec with nvm2.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Snuten said:

Darn it 😞 It is now even a weirder issue. I thought I was maybe something with registry(or some file in the DCS folder) that perhaps got "reseted" by executing it from different drives that fixed it, but obviously not. 🙂

Im happy mine works with the nvm2 drive now. Loading times went from like 55 sec with Sata to 15 sec with nvm2.

My nvme is set to pcie4. What about yours? 

8 hours ago, samplethief said:

My nvme is set to pcie4. What about yours? 

It was on Auto by default, and I changed it to PCIe4 before I moved to the Sata, with no luck. So I put it back to Auto, and now moved DCS back to it(as you know). So it should be on Auto now. But that m.2 slot is up to PCIe5 but the drive is PCIe4. 🙂

18 hours ago, davidrbarnette said:

Looking for some help from ya'll:

If I take the Quest 3 off to step away for a minute while DCS is running, when I come back and put the headset back on, it shows the timer/hourglass thing, no image, and eventually DCS crashes. Is there any way to get it to just pause and remain on?

I have just switched to using Virtual Desktop and no longer get this problem, headset can go into standby mode and recover into the game fine.

Just as a heads up for anyone using Oculus Link, ditch it, as quick as you can.  I spent a week trying to get some semblence of stability with little to no reward especially in multi-threading build.  I was not conviced that using VD could be better than an actual wired connection, despite reading reports to the contrary.
But boy was i wrong, the difference is night and day,  I cannot recommend it enough.

I still keep it wired to provide power, but no longer use the Oculus PC software at all.  Everything is run through VD and i'm getting stability like I have never experienced before, even with the RiftS.  Try it, for the small price of the program, you will not regret it, just make sure you can meet the requirments of your PC being connected by Ethernet to your router and a 5Ghz connection for the headset.

Also try the newest version of the OpenXR toolkit and enable Turbo Boost mode.

Edited by S D