Introducing Meta Quest 3

YoYo

Hi guys,

I have been reading this thread for a while now and have learned a lot about Quest 3 settings and DCS. I recently switched from a G2 to a Q3 and am still in the "fiddling with settings" phase.

For now I am using a link cable connection to my PC. Is this the best possible solution? Some people have suggested using Virtual Desktop or even Airlink. Should I use one of the wireless options instead of link cable? I have a 5ghz router about 2m from where I am sitting.

Edited by Pac-man_

hi, 

for me, cable is the best performing method so far for clarity (due to being able to set 500mbs or more) and stable fps. There's possibly some wifi stability issues with the quest 3 which may be causing jitters, as there is a long running thread on the oculus forum   https://communityforums.atmeta.com/t5/Get-Help/Known-Isssue-Unstable-wifi-covarage-with-Quest-3-on-some-Router/td-p/1090698/emcs_t/S2h8ZW1haWx8dG9waWNfc3Vic2NyaXB0aW9ufExRMjNOOE9VNkRWSDRXfDExMTQ1NTd8U1VCU0NSSVBUSU9OU3xoSw/page/58

mine seems to be doing better than most reports in that thread, so not sure what's going on. 

2 hours ago, Dogmanbird said:

hi, 

for me, cable is the best performing method so far for clarity (due to being able to set 500mbs or more) and stable fps.

Okay, sounds like I should keep using the cable then.

By "set 500mbs" I assume you mean the Encode Reslution Width in the Oculus Debug Tool, right?

Sorry to hijack - but is there a direct comparison with the HP G2 someone has done - image quality / performance etc ... and what specs they were running with both?

Now: Water-cooled Ryzen 5800X + 32GB DDR 4 3200 RAM + EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra 24 GB + Reverb G2 + Add-on PCI-e 3.1 card + 2x1TB Corsair M.2 4900/4200 + TM HOTAS Warthog + TM TPR Pendular Rudder  'Engaged Defensive' YouTube Channel

Modules: F/A-18C / AV-8B / F-16 / F-15E / F-4E (when it lands) / Persian Gulf / Syria / Nevada / Sinai / South Atlantic

Backup: Water-cooled i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz + 32GB DDR4 3200MHz + GTX 1080 8GB + 1TB M.2 1k drive & 250GB SSD drive 500MBps 4K 40" monitor + TrackIR 5

41 minutes ago, C3PO said:

Sorry to hijack - but is there a direct comparison with the HP G2 someone has done - image quality / performance etc ... and what specs they were running with both?

I have the used the HP G2 for the past few years. My system: Ryzen 9 5950X, RTX 3080, 64 GB DDR4, SSD.

I usually play single player, usually DCS Retribution or Liberation. I generally get about 75 - 90 fps depending on how complex the mission is. I run textures at medium, terrain textures at high, DLSS at quality, shadows at high, terrain object shadows default, clouds low, no civilian traffic, forest visibility at 100%, scenery 50%, forest and scenery detail .5, LOD at .5, and AA at 4X. WMR at 125%, no motion reprojection.

Quest 3 I run all of the above, but through virtual desktop on "Godlike" and DCS PD set to 1.3. I get a pretty consistent 72 fps. No ASW. I also use Quad View FFR. The visuals and smoothness are significantly better than with the G2, especially at the edges of the field of view.

• Thanks 1

On 12/15/2023 at 10:41 PM, Pac-man_ said:

By "set 500mbs" I assume you mean the Encode Reslution Width in the Oculus Debug Tool, right?

yep, here's where I set it (link encode bitrate). I don't edit the resolution width anywhere

image.png

Edited by Dogmanbird
  • Thanks 1

В 16.12.2023 в 02:22, Dogmanbird сказал:

yep, here's where I set it (link encode bitrate). I don't edit the resolution width anywhere

image.png

max - 960. write in notepad and Ctrl+C > Ctrl+V in Debug tool

https://www.youtube.com/@KAG-RubyN

Су-27 Flanker| Су-33 Flanker-D| МиГ-29 Fulcrum|Су-25 Frogfoot| Ка-50 Hokum| Ми-24П Hind| Ми-8МТВ Hip| F/A-18C Hornet| F-16C Viper| F-15C Eagle| UH-1H Iroquois

H/W - CPU:i7-13700KF|MB:Z790|RAM:64GB DDR5 Kingston|GA: MSI NV RTX-4090|Oculus Quest 3| SSD:Kingston SFYRD2000G

ymmv, but it results in intermittent audio glitches when I use anything over 500. strangely, 960 does work better than 940 / 920 / 900 etc for me, but i still get the occasional glitch. I don't see enough improvement (if any) when going over 500 to put up with the audio problem

however, i'm running oxrtoolkit res override at 4030 x XXXX (whatever the max is). I wonder if that's why i'm seeing little difference? maybe it's helping the compressor to interpret the image better?

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, LtSpoon said:

I have all the settings in the graphics settings twice, i.e. two times 72HZ, two times 90HZ etc. Does anyone know what that is?

Same for me.

i use the quest3 in cable link, the dlss is bad, there is "colors ghosting".

Edited by bts-yanou

Just use white paper towel. Cut to fit between the lens. You don't have to tape it in, tuck it in. Now I can take the headset off. Get a drink and pick up from where you left off.

Also, on the mobile app, change the sleep timer to 15 minutes

20231231_150912.jpg

How does Quest 3 compare to the Varjo Aero? I'm hearing good things about it, but I don't like Meta, and I'd like to know which is better. OTOH, Quest 3 costs a lot less, especially since I don't have the base stations.

On 12/31/2023 at 10:30 PM, snakeTW said:

Just use white paper towel. Cut to fit between the lens. You don't have to tape it in, tuck it in. Now I can take the headset off. Get a drink and pick up from where you left off.

Also, on the mobile app, change the sleep timer to 15 minutes

20231231_150912.jpg

I strongly recommend to make sure it won't come off accidentally, because when DCS thinks you took off your headset your flight will be done, the game will freeze and you have to restart.

On 12/15/2023 at 7:29 PM, C3PO said:

Once you get all the settings dialed in the only advantage G2 has is the center spot is ever so slightly more clear - i'd say like 10% or so. However with quest 3 you have that same clarity for all of your FOV, i don't have to turn my head at all or zoom in to read the texts in F16 MFD, all text is clearly visible from default head position for example (unless you use DLSS/DLAA which makes everything a blurry mess).

FPS is same or better with Q3. Tracking is very much better on Q3. I'm on RTX 4080, 13900KS and 64gb DDR4 4400mhz CL18.

On 12/27/2023 at 12:37 PM, splash said:

+1. What I'm not sure is if it is better to maximize resolution in Oculus application and leave PPD to 1.0 in DCS or  leave 1.0x and 72 Hz in Oculus app and set PPD in DCS.

Both - i max the settings in Oculus but also increase PD in DCS, because i can't use 2x MSAA, costs too much performance, but 1.2 PD is a good middle ground for image quality/performance.

On 12/15/2023 at 12:17 PM, Dogmanbird said:

hi, 

for me, cable is the best performing method so far for clarity (due to being able to set 500mbs or more) and stable fps. There's possibly some wifi stability issues with the quest 3 which may be causing jitters, as there is a long running thread on the oculus forum   https://communityforums.atmeta.com/t5/Get-Help/Known-Isssue-Unstable-wifi-covarage-with-Quest-3-on-some-Router/td-p/1090698/emcs_t/S2h8ZW1haWx8dG9waWNfc3Vic2NyaXB0aW9ufExRMjNOOE9VNkRWSDRXfDExMTQ1NTd8U1VCU0NSSVBUSU9OU3xoSw/page/58

mine seems to be doing better than most reports in that thread, so not sure what's going on. 

I didn't notice much difference in jitters or quality on Wireless desktop AV1 vs Oculus link on cable, but few random crashes on VD made me go back to cable - nothing like losing your progress after landing on 3 hour mission..

Edited by Grodin

Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

All the time when flying I get a "Controller not tracking" box that shows up, right over the cockpit. I have the controllers just sitting on my desk when I'm flying. How can I prevent this from showing up every few minutes?

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

2 minutes ago, unlikely_spider said:

All the time when flying I get a "Controller not tracking" box that shows up, right over the cockpit. I have the controllers just sitting on my desk when I'm flying. How can I prevent this from showing up every few minutes?

Theres a setting in DCS VR to enable them only when the trigger is pressed

DCS Web Editor - New 3D Mission Editor for DCS that runs in your browser

DCS Web Viewer free browser based mission planner / viewer

dcs web editor new(2).png
4090 RTX, 13700KF, water cooled

4 minutes ago, winghunter said:

Theres a setting in DCS VR to enable them only when the trigger is pressed

I'm pretty sure that I've got the use hand controllers setting disabled completely in DCS - I'm not 100% sure but I think the message is coming from the Quest UI and not from DCS.

3 minutes ago, unlikely_spider said:

I'm pretty sure that I've got the use hand controllers setting disabled completely in DCS - I'm not 100% sure but I think the message is coming from the Quest UI and not from DCS.

I never saw this, even when my controllers were out of view of the cameras. Do you have a stationary boundary setup?

DCS Web Editor - New 3D Mission Editor for DCS that runs in your browser

DCS Web Viewer free browser based mission planner / viewer

dcs web editor new(2).png
4090 RTX, 13700KF, water cooled

So, looking at other forums, it seems that these Quest Touch Pro controllers (which are the ones that happen to be connected to the headset - not the normal ones) go to sleep quickly when they're put down and not used. Let me know if anyone else is using these controllers and has fixed that issue.

1 hour ago, unlikely_spider said:

I somehow managed to turn off the quest message overlay popup about "lighting too low for hand tracking" (done in headset menu). Maybe this will hide the hand controller message popups too, if that's what's happening?

6 minutes ago, Dogmanbird said:

I somehow managed to turn off the quest message overlay popup about "lighting too low for hand tracking" (done in headset menu). Maybe this will hide the hand controller message popups too, if that's what's happening?

I see, thanks. I poked around a bit and didn't see anything like that - let me know if you remember where it is.

I'm also not the "owner" account since I'm just borrowing it until I decide if I want to buy my own, so I'm not sure if that affects what I can access.

Doesn't seem to be a developer account option.

In the headset, try going into the Notifications menu / Devices

turn off "VR (in headset)" switch

turn off "Tips" switch

and I also have the "Do Not Disturb" switch on

Hopefully one of those will do the trick 🙂

Edited by Dogmanbird
  • Thanks 1