Introducing Meta Quest 3

YoYo

27 minutes ago, unlikely_spider said:

What kind of battery life are people getting with a link cable and DCS? Does it make a difference if you use the $80 official cable (which I'd rather not do!) vs a generic cable?

I use the official link cable with the Quest 3. I can't sit and play DCS long enough to discover the battery life running it linked to the computer. If I play for an hour, it's still shows at about 95%.

Edited by davidrbarnette
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, unlikely_spider said:

What kind of battery life are people getting with a link cable and DCS? Does it make a difference if you use the $80 official cable (which I'd rather not do!) vs a generic cable?

I use a £10 USB 3.2 cable which runs my quest pro fine and trickle charges whilst playing. 

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

When I first got my Q3 I used a INIU 16 ft link cable and it lasted about 3 days with intermittent connections and slow charging. After it failed completely, I replaced it with the official link cable and I have great connections and my battery stays charged (green light after sessions over). 

I9-9900KS OC 5.2, Asus Maximus XI Hero, MSI RTX 4090 , EVGA 1200W P2 power supply, 2TB M.2 SSD, 64GB ram@3200mhz, Corsair H115i Pro AIO, Samsung Odyssey+, Reverb G2, Quest 3(new)

Whether or not the headset will maintain charge on an official cable will depend on your motherboard's USB C port and how much power in can deliver. Mine supplies enough power that it does deplete the charge on my quest pro but it only goes down about 10-15% in 1-2hrs.

• Like 1

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

1 hour ago, sze5003 said:

Whether or not the headset will maintain charge on an official cable will depend on your motherboard's USB C port and how much power in can deliver. Mine supplies enough power that it does deplete the charge on my quest pro but it only goes down about 10-15% in 1-2hrs.

Same with me. I can play for a couple of hours and it drops to about 85-90%. 

What is better in terms of performance and image quality? Oculus Cable link - USB -, or VD wieh ethernet cable connection? I have purchased a Q3... not installed yet (I have a Pico4 with ethernet cable connection to my router). Thanks.

13 hours ago, Gryzor said:

What is better in terms of performance and image quality? Oculus Cable link - USB -, or VD wieh ethernet cable connection? I have purchased a Q3... not installed yet (I have a Pico4 with ethernet cable connection to my router). Thanks.

In my experience, that’s a hard one to answer. Both have advantages. With the link cable, the feed is totally smooth with no “hiccups” or stuttering so long as you have the bitrate appropriately set and a decent cable. With VD, it delivers a better overall visual picture (in my opinion it has a sharper image, better colors, and better FPS) but has an occasional stutter or artifact due to being over a WiFi connection. I’m using a WiFi 6 router, direct Ethernet connection to the PC, and I get a solid 1200 mbs signal.

I have yet to beat the cable overall. My litmus test is usually flying down vegas blvd at 500 ft and looking out to the sides. Everything else thus far will give me missed frames, ghosting, etc. i wanna get MR going as there are some descent options available, but I don’t wanna give up quality.  I know it somewhat defeats the bigger purpose, but I wish VD had a link cable option. 

1 hour ago, Rainmaker said:

I have yet to beat the cable overall. My litmus test is usually flying down vegas blvd at 500 ft and looking out to the sides. Everything else thus far will give me missed frames, ghosting, etc. i wanna get MR going as there are some descent options available, but I don’t wanna give up quality.  I know it somewhat defeats the bigger purpose, but I wish VD had a link cable option. 

Yeah, I think the "holy grail" would be VD with a link cable option.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davidrbarnette said:

Yeah, I think the "holy grail" would be VD with a link cable option.

Yes. VD with link cable and same max bitrate as oculus. Let’s hope 🤞

3 hours ago, Qcumber said:

Yes. VD with link cable and same max bitrate as oculus. Let’s hope 🤞

With Q3 cannot be used a ethernet cable connection with USB adapter like Pico 4 to router, in VD?

8 minutes ago, Gryzor said:

With Q3 cannot be used a ethernet cable connection with USB adapter like Pico 4 to router, in VD?

I think someone has said that it is a thing, but network hardline is the only alternative at the moment.

9 hours ago, Gryzor said:

I'm not sure. I have not been able to get a usb-ethernet connection to work with my QP but it does work with Pico 4.

I just installed the Q3, but I have not been able to use DCS with it. I tried in the Quest Link area, but when I click in DCS, DCS crashes before I can use it. When I try to open DCS in the desktop, as I used to do it, it won't go into VR, even though I have VR selected in the game configuration. I only use DCS, so I don't know what I can do. The headset is superior to the Q2, but if I cannot use i, well, it's simply useless

Can someone help me with this? Thanks

Since the v60 headset update, is anyone here noticing a change to Q3 charging/not charging whilst in PCVR use?

With cabled link, it appears to no longer allow a charge rate of anything much higher than about 10watts when in use (as shown on the cables watt meter) while the headset is within the guardian boundary. 

I dont have any problem with charging during play. It stays about 85% full during hours of play.

Wysłane z mojego VOG-L29 przy użyciu Tapatalka

PC: i7 13700k, 64GB RAM 3200MHz DDR4, RTX 4090, VR: Quest 3.

VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, crosswinds rudder pedals, VPC panel CP3, WinWing PTO2

thanks for the reply.

Are you using cabled link to play or are you using wireless via VD / airlink and using the link cable to only charge? If you are using cabled link (not VD / Airlink) and your headset was at 5%, would it charge it to 85% while in use, since the v60 update?  If you are and it does, would you mind sharing what you are using?

Mine did charge reliably while in use before v60 when using cabled link, but now seems to only maintain whatever the charge was when first connected or a very slow discharge (at about 7-11 watts).

Wireless Airlink appears to still allow charging at about 14 - 22 watts while in use, using the link cable only for the charge. 

it's a bummer if meta have done this intentionally. Maybe to prevent overheating etc?

Edited by Dogmanbird

I play only with the cable (orginal one). My headset is still connect to the pc so it never goes down with the battery.

VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, crosswinds rudder pedals, VPC panel CP3, WinWing PTO2

Tried both someday in the past but the cable is more stsble and I mainly play flight sims.

I'm just figuring this stuff out now, and have looked at 'Snuten's' settings on Page 15.  Do these still apply with all of the recent updates?  I read on one thread that you don't need to bother with anything OpenXR related (i.e. the toolkit) yet another says it's essential.  Same with the 'debug tool'.  I assume this is 'ODT'?  I also keep seeing 'OBT'.  Is this a typo?  I have a Q2 and 4070ti/5600X.  I'm assuming these settings should also help with the awful visuals I'm seeing?

"I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I don't want to answer." - Michael Bluth