GumidekCZ

Example of old SpecularMaps textures (missing metalic effect):
OLD_SPEC_FILES.png

This Israely skin have wrong defined wings Roughmet files:
P51_LUA_BUG.png

Many other skins have wrong wing Roughmet without correct metalic effect:
image.png   Wing Roughmet BLUE CHANNEL: image.png

image.png

If I'm not mistaken that's probably due to having used some old template which featured misplaced elements back then.

Anyhow, wings, better or worse represented, are a feature. P-51 wings were puttied, sanded, and painted silver dope, not bare metal. Once done (in the latest P-51 update, it wasn't there before) many old skins already there just stopped working or work badly.

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

13 minutes ago, Doughguy said:

Whilest the textures are outdated, wartime mustangs werent really mirror polished, and also the wings were puttied and indeed painted with a silvery protection coat.

Of course, it's very well know thing. I think that the paint was also oversprayed with glossy lacquer to protect the paint.

17 minutes ago, Doughguy said:

Whilest the textures are outdated, wartime mustangs werent really mirror polished, and also the wings were puttied and indeed painted with a silvery protection coat.

That’s exactly the OPs point; the fuselages should not be so reflective but equally the wings shouldn’t look like they’re painted in a Matt light grey primer….

This has been a problem for 5+ years

• Like 2

Beside errors in Lua and old Specular textures, EDs fault is there in lack of blue channel for reflections, and less green for glossyer lacquer finish.

Aileron and flaps must be less polished.

Edited by GumidekCZ

11 hours ago, GumidekCZ said:

But what we have now is almost white color, NOT glossy SILVER paint colored surface:

Yep, old skins probably.

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

One more reason to use Magic Zach's default skins repaints.

I know we shouldn't rely on his work to fix things ED haven't found time to improve themselves, but for the time being it's the only solution we've got.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

On 6/10/2023 at 10:43 PM, Art-J said:

One more reason to use Magic Zach's default skins repaints.

I know we shouldn't rely on his work to fix things ED haven't found time to improve themselves, but for the time being it's the only solution we've got.

That's the outer temporary solution, but we need from ED to fix it. They can take MG's or some of Reflected's Mustang skins as a good way to start. And when they will do that, they can also make new cockpit textures.

Magic Zach wing texure repaint  https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3318767/

Edited by GumidekCZ

• 9 months later...