Normandy Template (prior to D-Day)

Hallsy

Hi all,

I was curious if anyone has a template (or list of literature) sitting around with the Normandy map set up pre D-Day? Specifically, with V1 sites, flak batteries, squadron locations, targets etc. I am researching to create a PVE server to focus on Mossie day/night ranger activities and much more. I just want to make sure I can set everything up as realistically as possible! Thanks.

Edited by Hallsy

• Hallsy changed the title to Normandy Template (prior to D-Day)

@stuart666 did one for the Flak:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3308975/

And @titi69 did one for the V1

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3319343/

I imagine that they would need to be updated for normandy 2.0

@SUNTSAG also did one for the V1 but cant find it, maybe he deleted it because of obsolescence 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

For informations (.kmz-files for Google Earth) about V1 you could use: https://www.relikte.info/v1.html

check also the "Atlatikwall - France" - section and/or the "more" -  section for:

German radar positions to monitor air activity over Europe to lead interceptors to their targets.

German radar positions to monitor ship activity.

German infrastructure to guide interceptor airplanes with the Y-Verfahren (Jagd).

German infrastructure to guide airplanes.

• Like 1

Really appreciate the resources, guys. Rudel, I had already implemented the great Flak template by Stuart, just in the scripting phase to optimize. Sadly, I can't find Sunstag's template anywhere, but I did find the mod itself. Into the depths of the internet I go.

8 minutes ago, Hallsy said:

Sadly, I can't find Sunstag's template anywhere

Yes, however I still have a copy of it:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ai6cuX3YQI26h50F9QOLVM9Yy1YHKA

haven’t tested it on while however, hopefully it still works 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

This would be perfect, but asking a lot I feel. I plan on making the .miz public if I feel it is worthy.

So far, I have utilized a bunch of great templates and my own research to map out Normandy. I am trying to find the balance between looks, accuracy, and performance.

I have just finished scripting patrol flights, air traffic, bombing raids, random spawning convoys, trains and naval targets. I am striving to create a target rich environment to simulate Mossie intruder/day ranging missions. 

I would love to find some information on strategic buildings or map features that I can script as preplanned strikes. So far I have focused on port infrastructure. At this point, I feel very limited by the amount of axis air assets. I am also racking my brain to have uboats dive in response to an attack. I know not realistic, but to the SW of the map, I am trying to model maritime patrol.

Hopefully, I can create something meaningful for the community.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 6/19/2023 at 1:11 AM, Rudel_chw said:

@stuart666 did one for the Flak:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3308975/

And @titi69 did one for the V1

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3319343/

I imagine that they would need to be updated for normandy 2.0

@SUNTSAG also did one for the V1 but cant find it, maybe he deleted it because of obsolescence 

Rudel, you have a lot of awesome stuff in 'User Files' that has really enhanced my enjoyment of DCS over the years.  Including the content listed above.  Thank you very much for creating it.

• Like 2

Rex's Rig

Intel i9-14900K | Nvidia RTX 4090 | 64GB DDR5 | 3x4TB 990 Pro M2 SSDs | HP Reverb 2 | 49" Samsung 5120x1440 @ 120Mhz

TM Warthog Stick + Throttle | TM Pendulum Pedals | MS Sidewinder 2 FFB | Track IR |  Cougar MFD x 2 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2023 at 5:53 AM, Hallsy said:

This would be perfect, but asking a lot I feel. I plan on making the .miz public if I feel it is worthy.

So far, I have utilized a bunch of great templates and my own research to map out Normandy. I am trying to find the balance between looks, accuracy, and performance.

I have just finished scripting patrol flights, air traffic, bombing raids, random spawning convoys, trains and naval targets. I am striving to create a target rich environment to simulate Mossie intruder/day ranging missions. 

I would love to find some information on strategic buildings or map features that I can script as preplanned strikes. So far I have focused on port infrastructure. At this point, I feel very limited by the amount of axis air assets. I am also racking my brain to have uboats dive in response to an attack. I know not realistic, but to the SW of the map, I am trying to model maritime patrol.

Hopefully, I can create something meaningful for the community.

I'm currently trying the same ... should do a collab .

• Like 2

sig sm.png

walshtimothyWW2 virtual flier - currently playing on 4ya ww2 - youtube channel here

https://www.ww2adinfinitum.blog -  https://projectoverlord.co.uk/

On 9/11/2023 at 2:58 PM, Walshtimothy said:

I'm currently trying the same ... should do a collab .

We can make this happen. I haven't touched this since late June as I was out of country. Most convoys and other units rely on DML spawners. The biggest issue so far has been FPS. I have resorted to spawning and despawning the map in "sectors" based on human location. I still need additional resources for ammo caches, depots and such. Some Axis logistics aircraft or flying boats would also make for some fun pop-up targets to limit the use of mods.

• Like 1

nice , im thinking of something similar but only having 10 land groups each side that all respawn when killed , should lead to a feeling of being populated with minimum server load ... i hope lol 

sig sm.png

walshtimothyWW2 virtual flier - currently playing on 4ya ww2 - youtube channel here

If its of any interest, Im going to attempt to rework the Normandy template for Normandy2. Currently im working on the radar net, should do the flak later. No promises when it gets done, its a lot of work.

Ive never been entirely convinced spawning the flak guns via trigger was a good  idea for frame rate reasons. I always conceived it as an aid to making scenarios. Basically you lay your scenario out with target, then lay the template (or start with the scenario and lay your scenario over it), and delete all the gun batteries you arent going to meet out. Still, if you can make it work with any kind of acceptable framerate, then good for you.

As for transports, the only solution I can conceive of is to get a C47 livery in German and use that. There was at least one dutch DC2 painted in a Luftwaffe scheme, so its not completely ahistorical. Of course we could really do with a Ju52.

• Like 3

On 9/18/2023 at 9:46 PM, Hallsy said:

I managed to make MOOSE templates and have them randomize on spawn. The main FPS killer is flak batteries and large amounts of statics around airfields. Easy fix with triggers.

On 9/19/2023 at 8:38 AM, stuart666 said:

If its of any interest, Im going to attempt to rework the Normandy template for Normandy2. Currently im working on the radar net, should do the flak later. No promises when it gets done, its a lot of work.

Ive never been entirely convinced spawning the flak guns via trigger was a good  idea for frame rate reasons. I always conceived it as an aid to making scenarios. Basically you lay your scenario out with target, then lay the template (or start with the scenario and lay your scenario over it), and delete all the gun batteries you arent going to meet out. Still, if you can make it work with any kind of acceptable framerate, then good for you.

As for transports, the only solution I can conceive of is to get a C47 livery in German and use that. There was at least one dutch DC2 painted in a Luftwaffe scheme, so its not completely ahistorical. Of course we could really do with a Ju52.

get on over here if you are interested in creating something cool 😉 

https://discord.gg/GFY659WB

above is a baby mission im working on to try and get some required mechanics and features working ... looking promising .

mission is downloadable from discord , mod required linked there too .

• Like 1

sig sm.png

On 9/19/2023 at 3:38 AM, stuart666 said:

Since I was modelling a Pre Overlord Normandy for largely intruder and day ranger missions I opted to keep a thinned-out layer of your AAA throughout the map (Huge thanks for this by the way! More templates of yours are of massive value to the community!). I separated the map into grids allowing the more taxing assets to be spawned and despawned depending on the location of human players (dynamically reacting to MOOSE tasking). It isn't a perfect solution, but works in theory.

With DML I was able to randomize train spawns and run a basic schedule throughout the mission, acting as targets throughout the server run time. The same for ground and naval convoys.

The rest of the ground targets such as depots or encampments I spawn randomly using triggerzones and moose templates with a percentage spawn.

Air targets are the hardest. I tried downloading some of the user mod (111s, 110s, etc.) AI to act as Axis air traffic to prey upon for ranging mossies, especially at night. I was using a combination of DML and RAT to populate the airspace. Both don't really do the job perfectly, but it works. I used DML to update player scoring for higher-value air targets etc. 

I applied the V1 templates from Sunstag and set periodic launches towards London. Each launch has an accompanying scramble warning for Allied aircraft and serve as HVTs.

Periodic bomber raids form on both Axis and Allies with 4YA Overlord acting as the inspiration.

I had also created triggers for the destruction of map assets such as port facilities, radar stations, train yards, and such. Mission ideally, will be played by both sides.

I am not an amazing mission designer by any means. Hopefully, someone out there more skilled than I can finish this off!

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Walshtimothy said:

get on over here if you are interested in creating something cool 😉 

https://discord.gg/GFY659WB

above is a baby mission im working on to try and get some required mechanics and features working ... looking promising .

mission is downloadable from discord , mod required linked there too .

Yeah, I really must get more into the afv side. Tanks have always been my main interest. Thanks for pointing that out.

10 hours ago, Hallsy said:

Since I was modelling a Pre Overlord Normandy for largely intruder and day ranger missions I opted to keep a thinned-out layer of your AAA throughout the map (Huge thanks for this by the way! More templates of yours are of massive value to the community!). I separated the map into grids allowing the more taxing assets to be spawned and despawned depending on the location of human players (dynamically reacting to MOOSE tasking). It isn't a perfect solution, but works in theory.

With DML I was able to randomize train spawns and run a basic schedule throughout the mission, acting as targets throughout the server run time. The same for ground and naval convoys.

The rest of the ground targets such as depots or encampments I spawn randomly using triggerzones and moose templates with a percentage spawn.

Air targets are the hardest. I tried downloading some of the user mod (111s, 110s, etc.) AI to act as Axis air traffic to prey upon for ranging mossies, especially at night. I was using a combination of DML and RAT to populate the airspace. Both don't really do the job perfectly, but it works. I used DML to update player scoring for higher-value air targets etc. 

I applied the V1 templates from Sunstag and set periodic launches towards London. Each launch has an accompanying scramble warning for Allied aircraft and serve as HVTs.

Periodic bomber raids form on both Axis and Allies with 4YA Overlord acting as the inspiration.

I had also created triggers for the destruction of map assets such as port facilities, radar stations, train yards, and such. Mission ideally, will be played by both sides.

I am not an amazing mission designer by any means. Hopefully, someone out there more skilled than I can finish this off!

You are very kind, Im glad its of use to someone!

Ive actually built a similar set for Channel map, but never released it. Its got all the aa in places where sources indicate it roughly was. The biggest problem with that is all the luftwaffe records were destroyed during the war, so we have only rought guides of where they were quarter (such as Paris, or Arras). You have to apply a lot of occums razor where they would likely have bene devolved to. Far easier has been the beach defences, which still exist in places, and there are plenty of records ofw here guns were. Similarly the V1 sites. In most case ive just put in the ramps, but as far as I can tell, everything for channel is in there. You just need to fill out the individual site you are bombing.

So what im planning on doing is this. Ill release the channel templates at some point, which are already done. then ill continue with the Normandy 2 ones. At the moment the vast majority of the radars are done. There are still gaps in the AA, which will I think suffice for most scenarios (Paris is well covered). Due to the lack of a 105mm gun, ive used the Soviet Ks19 100mm gun, along with the radar guidence. At 20000 feet, I dont think most people will notice the difference. Similarly Ive used the American 37mm to fill in for the 37mm flak. Ive also used bofors because, believe it or not, the Germany navy used them as well.

So what remains on Normandy2? Im going to put in as much of the beach defences as I can. Im trying to fill out from Dieppe down (If you want th enorthern half, use the channel map with my template). Im at ouestram, so plenty still to do there. Dont know if I will do the V1 sites on Normandy. Its lots of work to do, and It nearly broke my will putting them all in on channel map.

So anyway, back to work!

1 hour ago, stuart666 said:

Ill release the channel templates at some point, which are already done.

Looking forward to it, your templates are a big help for ww2 mission editing, thanks a lot for all the effort and research you put on them 👍

• Thanks 1

Thanks Rudel, thats very kind.

Incidentally, if anyone is interested in the subject of German Radar, perhaps even wants to make their own templates, my current bible is 'German Coastal Radar Stations, then and Now' by After the Battle publishing.

https://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/German-Coastal-Radar-Stations-Hardback/p/20966

Doesnt give you all the radar sites inland, but its a damn good start.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I like that! Really needs some warships with 14 inch guns though.

Ok, so Ive upped the template, so It should be available sooner or later I guess. Let you all know when its unlocked. Ive also got a channel template, which I actually did first. Thinking about whether to equip all the v1 sites with flak or let you guys figure it out. I guess it probably makes sense to let you all figure that out, you are all smart enough.

• Thanks 1