Expected target range in BVR Mode

Hi all,

i´d like to ask you, for what the "Expected target range" settings are ?

When i enable the Radar and go to BVR Mode, this mentioned setting is at 10.

I can change it to a different ammount at my Stick, but i have no idea for what this setting will be usefull.

Thx for your help

Andi

It works in  concert with the target altitude setting but, for the most part, it's nothing you need to worry about. If someone gives you the bearing range and altitude of a target they want you to lock, set the expected range, set the target altitude to the number of kilometers above or below you the target is, and put your nose on the bearing. The target will be sure to be in your scan zone. Other than that, leave it alone.

If you play with it, you'll see that it changes the number of degrees the target elevation setting points the radar above or below your nose. A target range of 10 with a target elevation of 2 will be much higher than the same target elevation with an expected target range of 80.

EDIT: This is a tutorial I began but never finished years ago so it’s missing arrow pointings, etc, but it explains all of this. Jump to minute 12. It might prove helpful:

Edited by Ironhand
  • Like 1

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

23 hours ago, JG11Preusse said:

Hi all,

i´d like to ask you, for what the "Expected target range" settings are ?

When i enable the Radar and go to BVR Mode, this mentioned setting is at 10.

I can change it to a different ammount at my Stick, but i have no idea for what this setting will be usefull.

Thx for your help

Andi

This setting is very important and it defines the center point of your search area. According to that and in combination with the expected target altitude it will slew the antenna to search different parts of the sky:

autodraw 6_20_2023.png

Edited by Pavlin_33
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i5-4690K CPU 3.50Ghz @ 4.10GHz; 32GB DDR3 1600MHz; GeForce GTX 1660 Super; LG IPS225@1920x1080; Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB; Windows 10 Pro

On 6/19/2023 at 12:54 PM, Ironhand said:

It works in  concert with the target altitude setting but, for the most part, it's nothing you need to worry about. If someone gives you the bearing range and altitude of a target they want you to lock, set the expected range, set the target altitude to the number of kilometers above or below you the target is, and put your nose on the bearing. The target will be sure to be in your scan zone. Other than that, leave it alone.

If you play with it, you'll see that it changes the number of degrees the target elevation setting points the radar above or below your nose. A target range of 10 with a target elevation of 2 will be much higher than the same target elevation with an expected target range of 80.

EDIT: This is a tutorial I began but never finished years ago so it’s missing arrow pointings, etc, but it explains all of this. Jump to minute 12. It might prove helpful:

Hi ironhand off topic but which is your go to module out of interest ?

1 hour ago, freehand said:

Hi ironhand off topic but which is your go to module out of interest ?

The Flanker. It’s been my favorite ride, since 1998.

• Like 1

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Am 20.6.2023 um 12:01 schrieb Pavlin_33:

This setting is very important and it defines the center point of your search area. According to that and in combination with the expected target altitude it will slew the antenna to search different parts of the sky:

autodraw 6_20_2023.png

Hi,

this means, if i understood right, when i set the radar scan range to f.e. 100 km, it will scan 100 km whatever i set for exp target range.

The only differece will be the search cone, what means that your example with set to 50 km, radar will not recognize the target.

But ecen when i set the radar range to 100 km and the exp target range to 10 km , radar will not stop scanning behind 10 km.

Greetings

Andi

The radar always scans as far as it can. Changing the range scale on the left side of the HUD changes how much of the sky ahead you want the system to display. That’s all. Anything it "sees" beyond that range will be displayed at the very top of the range, an indication that it's beyond the range being displayed.

Edited by Ironhand
  • Like 1

_____

16 hours ago, JG11Preusse said:

Hi,

this means, if i understood right, when i set the radar scan range to f.e. 100 km, it will scan 100 km whatever i set for exp target range.

The only differece will be the search cone, what means that your example with set to 50 km, radar will not recognize the target.

But ecen when i set the radar range to 100 km and the exp target range to 10 km , radar will not stop scanning behind 10 km.

Greetings

Andi

Think of the radar beam like a flash light. No matter where you point the light will reach same distance. Expected target range combined with expected target altitude just defines where the center of the search zone will be.

In my example (right side) you would miss the enemy 'cause he is below the search zone.

• Like 1

i5-4690K CPU 3.50Ghz @ 4.10GHz; 32GB DDR3 1600MHz; GeForce GTX 1660 Super; LG IPS225@1920x1080; Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB; Windows 10 Pro

Just a bit more explanations:

If the aircraft is on the same level - the setting won't matter since the radar will look straight ahead. But in any other case the expected range will affect the elevation angle. The closer it is set the bigger elevation angle with same altitude difference.

If you detect aircraft at expected range of 10km in +1km alt difference, you'll also detect it if you set 20km exp. range and +2km alt diff, and also 30km exp. range +3km alt diff... as the elevation angle will be the same - the pointing direction of the radar cone.

Imagine the bird 10m above the ground, 100m ahead, flying level towards you. As the bird is closing, the known "expected" range here is decreasing, you will have to look higher and higher (elevation angle is increasing) up to the point where the bird overflies you. Mind that altitude difference +10m is constant here.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

• 3 months later...
26 minutes ago, WinOrLose said:

Hi - kind of linked to this thread. What is the radar elevation control called. I may have missed it but didn’t see anything obvious in the commands list. 

thanks. 

Scan Zone Up/Scan Zone Down

• Thanks 1

_____