no power

Go to solution Solved by Hiob,

12 minutes ago, 100Fuegos said:

hi guys,

Why sometimes it doesn't have enough power to fly?

It has happened to me on several occasions that it barely takes 1m off the ground and I don't know why

greetings

Because your throttle levers are not in the flight position.

Check your bindings. There are two throttle or engine condition levers (on the left side of the pilot) that need to me in the middle position for the governator to work properly. Depending on which condition they are, you can't open the main throttle (twist grip on your collective) all the way.

Those two levers on the far left (Nr. 2). They have a dead zone somewhere in the middle that they need to be in for regular conditions. And of course your twist throttle (3) needs to be fully opened and your rotor RPM in the 90s (but you would get a generator failure if that wasn't the case).

proxy-image?piurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.digi

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Are you too heavy?

No

It is too hot?

not always. If it's very hot, the heli doesn't take off?

Do you draw too much power from the motors? (anti/defrost)
not always

Can you give us much more information? Otherwise, you will be crazy to guess what the problem could be.
This is the problem, I go crazy and I don't know what happens xd

thank you

hace 8 minutos, Hiob dijo:

Because your throttle leavers are not in the flight position.

Check your bindings. There are two throttle or engine condition levers (on the left side of the pilot) that need to me in the middle position for the governator to work properly. Depending on which condition they are, you can't open the main throttle (twist grip on your collective) all the way.

I have tried in all three positions and it happens in all of them, although I always used the middle position, until I found this problem
thank you

Stupid question: Are both engines running? 

The Mi-8 usually has plenty of power. (Apart from obviously adverse climate conditions)

I assume, you already have tried different loadouts...

The only other thing that comes to my mind right now is to check your controls overlay if every axis is actually going all the way. (throttle and collective)

Edited by Hiob

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Hey, I watched and replayed your track - see my track attached. I had no problem taking of and ascending vertically. As far as I can tell you did the startup the same way I would with some minor exceptions. (I would only switch on the circuit brakers for anti ice if needed, and I would not use the heading AP for takeoff).

As far as I can tell you simply don't pull enough collective. Watch the rotor pitch - there is a lot of headroom still.

Other than that your track didn't show me any other potential problem (but of course I could have missed something).

• Like 1

hace 12 minutos, Hiob dijo:

Hey, I watched and replayed your track - see my track attached. I had no problem taking of and ascending vertically. As far as I can tell you did the startup the same way I would with some minor exceptions. (I would only switch on the circuit brakers for anti ice if needed, and I would not use the heading AP for takeoff).

As far as I can tell you simply don't pull enough collective. Watch the rotor pitch - there is a lot of headroom still.

Other than that your track didn't show me any other potential problem (but of course I could have missed something).

I don't see your track attached...
In any case, I am increasing the collective until the helicopter loses all power. I will try to see what you do and pay attention to the parameters that you indicate.
thank you 🙂

sorry, here it is

b.trk

I just noticed, that you turned on the dust filters in the end. (Which is unnecessary in this particular environment I think).

But nevertheless, I tested with them turned on and it makes no significant difference.

Double check, that your fuel system is working and set up correctly. Maybe there isn't enough fuel flow.(Nope, that wasn't it)

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I do that quite often... 😅

On my third watch I noticed that you actually turn on the anti icing system completely. May be that is a bit much (4500 feet, armor plates, hard points, fuel, dust protection AND anti-icing. I would never turn on anti icing unless really needed and certainly not on take off.

• Like 1

• Solution

Ok, third time is a charm.

I was finally able to reproduce your power loss (due to a droop in rotor rpm). When I turned on the anti ice, it was the icing on the cake (pun intended). No, in all seriousness. Heading AP, Anti-Ice, Dust-Protection, that all directly or indirectly draws power from the main rotor (or the attached generators) - at some point - it is too much.

Make it a habit to only turn on those systems when you need them OR at least when you are out of hover/transitional lift  and in a controlled cruise flight.

Oh, and to top it all off, you had the heat suppressors equipped.... 😅😉

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, admiki said:

So, he was too heavy for conditions/system activated?

kind of…. going in circles somewhat. If she was lighter you would have needed less rotor pitch and may have had more headroom for secondary power drains. 4,5K feet isn’t exactly sea level too. I would argue though, that it was unnecessary to turn on the anti ice and dust filters during take off in this conditions. If he had activated anti ice later he would have been golden. So… 🤗

Edit: Another thing, that is a bit irritating to me is the amount of power the anti icing draws. Compared to other things I mean. Feels a bit excessive but I have no clue.

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Hiob said:

kind of…. going in circles somewhat. If she was lighter you would have needed less rotor pitch and may have had more headroom for secondary power drains. 4,5K feet isn’t exactly sea level too. I would argue though, that it was unnecessary to turn on the anti ice and dust filters during take off in this conditions. If he had activated anti ice later he would have been golden. So… 🤗

Edit: Another thing, that is a bit irritating to me is the amount of power the anti icing draws. Compared to other things I mean. Feels a bit excessive but I have no clue.

Dust protection will take 200 kgs off of your max take off weight. Anti-ice will take 1000. And that's at sea level.

I downloaded track after posting.

I did manage to take off with all systems activated. Problem with OP is that he seemingly has no idea of OGE/IGE power requirements, ETL, and bunch of other stuff needed for helicopter flight. Not using anti ice/dust protection would definitely help in this situation, but that won't save his bacon when those are actually needed.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, admiki said:

Dust protection will take 200 kgs off of your max take off weight. Anti-ice will take 1000. And that's at sea level.

I downloaded track after posting.

I did manage to take off with all systems activated. Problem with OP is that he seemingly has no idea of OGE/IGE power requirements, ETL, and bunch of other stuff needed for helicopter flight. Not using anti ice/dust protection would definitely help in this situation, but that won't save his bacon when those are actually needed.

Completely agree. And if needed at altitude like this, you would probably go with less fuel, or without hard points and armory. As I said - circles. You have only so many power/lift to distribute. (or take off from a short makeshift runway instead of a pad.....or...or....or)

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 1

Pretty much the errors I did when flying the "Spring Tension" campaign the first time to be honest.
Yeah, I know. Should have read the manual, but I'll say that a lot of training missions could have been more elaborate.
Some to just get you up and running, and some with more info after you've been flying the aircraft for a while, and have better understanding of the systems, and how they interact with the physics of the world.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk