Hi folks,

Running DCS Multi Thread Standalone Open Beta (latest ver)

I'm concerned at the number of errors and warnings contained in my log file. I simply do not know whether or not these errors and warnings can be considered 'normal', in the current Open Beta, or whether I have a problem(s) that needs sorting. I attach my latest log file. Would anyone who knows about these log file entries be willing to take a look and advise if there are things I need to fix? If so, how!

Thanks

dcs.log.txt

Self Build: 5000D Airflow Case, Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero DDR 5 MOBO, 1200W Corsair Modular PSU, I9-12900K CPU, MSI 3080 ti 12GB GPU, Corsair Vengence 64GB DDR5 5600 RAM, H150i Elite CPU Cooler, 2 x 1TB & 1 x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD's, Windows 10 Pro OS, Samsung Odyssey G7 28" G-Sync (3840 x 2160 Resolution) Monitor, Thrustmaster, ROG Strix Go 2.4 Headset , HOTAS Warthog Stick, Throttle & TPR Rudder mounted on WheelStandPro V2 rig. TrackIR 5 - DCS: Channel, Normandy 2, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada, S. Atlantic, Sinai - FC3, Super Carrier, Spitfire, Mosquito, P-51, P-47, Bf-109, FW-190 A-8, AH-64D, Huey, F18-C Hornet, AV-8B, F-16C, F-5E, A-10C II, F-86E Sabre, F-15E Strike Eagle, F-14 Tomcat, Viggen, MB-339. Android Tablet with DCS UFC & DCS NAV

5 hours ago, TonyRS said:

Hi folks,

Running DCS Multi Thread Standalone Open Beta (latest ver)

I'm concerned at the number of errors and warnings contained in my log file. I simply do not know whether or not these errors and warnings can be considered 'normal', in the current Open Beta, or whether I have a problem(s) that needs sorting. I attach my latest log file. Would anyone who knows about these log file entries be willing to take a look and advise if there are things I need to fix? If so, how!

Thanks

hello. these sorts of messages show and are sometimes benign . are you having specific problems? 

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

Hi silverdevil,

Short answer is ‘Yes’, I’ve had problems since last update. It has taken me 3 days to get DCS OB MT working again. But it now loads much more slowly than the previous OB version so, I’m wondering if the errors and warnings in the log file indicate a problem I have yet to fix. Can it be said that the errors and warnings in my log file will also be in the log files of other users? Is this the ‘norm’? If so, how is one supposed to distinguish between an error or warning that is ‘problematic’ and an error or warning that is just ‘benign’?

Thank you for taking the time to reply.
Rgds

Self Build: 5000D Airflow Case, Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero DDR 5 MOBO, 1200W Corsair Modular PSU, I9-12900K CPU, MSI 3080 ti 12GB GPU, Corsair Vengence 64GB DDR5 5600 RAM, H150i Elite CPU Cooler, 2 x 1TB & 1 x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD's, Windows 10 Pro OS, Samsung Odyssey G7 28" G-Sync (3840 x 2160 Resolution) Monitor, Thrustmaster, ROG Strix Go 2.4 Headset , HOTAS Warthog Stick, Throttle & TPR Rudder mounted on WheelStandPro V2 rig. TrackIR 5 - DCS: Channel, Normandy 2, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada, S. Atlantic, Sinai - FC3, Super Carrier, Spitfire, Mosquito, P-51, P-47, Bf-109, FW-190 A-8, AH-64D, Huey, F18-C Hornet, AV-8B, F-16C, F-5E, A-10C II, F-86E Sabre, F-15E Strike Eagle, F-14 Tomcat, Viggen, MB-339. Android Tablet with DCS UFC & DCS NAV

11 hours ago, TonyRS said:

Hi silverdevil,

Short answer is ‘Yes’, I’ve had problems since last update. It has taken me 3 days to get DCS OB MT working again. But it now loads much more slowly than the previous OB version so, I’m wondering if the errors and warnings in the log file indicate a problem I have yet to fix. Can it be said that the errors and warnings in my log file will also be in the log files of other users? Is this the ‘norm’? If so, how is one supposed to distinguish between an error or warning that is ‘problematic’ and an error or warning that is just ‘benign’?

Thank you for taking the time to reply.
Rgds

the errors / warnings you are seeing are not the cause or the effect of the slowness. there is a lengthy post covering the slow starts. you are not alone. something in latest patch caused this issue. read through the 5 pages of posts. no fix yet.

• Like 1

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

Hi silverdevil,

Thanks again. And, for confirming longer load times is not an uncommon issue, but something also being experienced by others.

However, still begs the question; what are these errors and warnings in my log file? which are significant, which are benign? What do I need to 'fix' to get rid of them?

I've had trouble again today getting DCS OB MT to run at all, had to end load 3 times due to 'black' screen, unresponsive app. Spending so much time launching, re-launching & re-booting! From were I'm sitting, there does seem to be a 'significant' issue after last beta release which is, to be totally honest, ruining the whole experience! Currently, the option to just 'pop in' to a multi-player server, to fly with others, is totally impractical as I have no idea how long it might take me to get DCS open and running.

Hopefully, this will be sorted soon?

Rgds

9 hours ago, TonyRS said:

Hi silverdevil,

Thanks again. And, for confirming longer load times is not an uncommon issue, but something also being experienced by others.

However, still begs the question; what are these errors and warnings in my log file? which are significant, which are benign? What do I need to 'fix' to get rid of them?

I've had trouble again today getting DCS OB MT to run at all, had to end load 3 times due to 'black' screen, unresponsive app. Spending so much time launching, re-launching & re-booting! From were I'm sitting, there does seem to be a 'significant' issue after last beta release which is, to be totally honest, ruining the whole experience! Currently, the option to just 'pop in' to a multi-player server, to fly with others, is totally impractical as I have no idea how long it might take me to get DCS open and running.

Hopefully, this will be sorted soon?

Rgds

hello again. i am posting my log so you can see. there are indeed errors and do not noticeably affect the game. it seems to be nonsense to me. i cannot find the post, but i remember some official tester or moderator posting there are always errors and warnings. which is crappy. but that said, i am a server admin at work and, i have honestly never seen an event log without errors and warnings of some sort.

@Flappie any thing you can add to my dissertation? merci! 

dcs.log

• Like 1

Hi @TonyRS , here's a small guide I made two years ago. It won't answer all your questions but it's a good place to start.

Most current errors lines are reported internally. It is true they come in numbers, thus making it difficult to make a diagnosis. I should update linked post with recently added error messages, but I'm pretty busy these days.

• Like 2

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

@silverdevil & @Flappie

Guys, thank you, very much, for taking the time to respond and to provide a sample of your own log file, to show that (most) all these errors & warnings largely appear in every users log file. And, also, thank you for the link to the post explaining how to read the log file.

Whilst I’m now reassured that my own log file is ‘normal’, with nothing particularly untoward. It leaves me somewhat puzzled as to what I can now do to get Standalone DCS OB MT to open and run on my PC? All I can say, with my limited knowledge, is that it seemed to be working file until the last update, but now, I estimate, about 5 time out of six it will open, log me in, switch to a clear ‘black’ screen then hang needing my intervention to shut it down.

Any practical recommendations here? I have run out of ideas!

Thank you
Rgds

Your log file ends like this:

Ligne 1263: 2023-06-27 13:12:55.177 ERROR   EDCORE (Main): [C:\Users\Anthony Southwood\Saved Games\DCS\Config\appSettings.lua] CreateFile(REWRITE): The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
	Ligne 1264: 2023-06-27 13:12:55.177 ERROR   EDCORE (Main): Can't open file 'C:\Users\Anthony Southwood\Saved Games\DCS\Config\appSettings.lua' from fs.
	Ligne 1265: 2023-06-27 13:12:55.177 ERROR   APP (Main): can't open file

I'm not sure which other process is using your appSettings.lua but it clearly seems to be the problem here. Maybe your antivirus is causing this? Weird, because antivirus usually mess with core game files (mainly .dll files), not with files under "Saved Games/DCS...".

Your should monitor this file using Windows Resource Monitor. Open it, click the Disk tab, then run DCS.

Now Alt+Tab back to Resource Monitor, then try to spot the "appSettings.lua" file in the list below: which program is accessing it?

5 hours ago, Flappie said:

Your log file ends like this:

Ligne 1263: 2023-06-27 13:12:55.177 ERROR   EDCORE (Main): [C:\Users\Anthony Southwood\Saved Games\DCS\Config\appSettings.lua] CreateFile(REWRITE): The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
	Ligne 1264: 2023-06-27 13:12:55.177 ERROR   EDCORE (Main): Can't open file 'C:\Users\Anthony Southwood\Saved Games\DCS\Config\appSettings.lua' from fs.
	Ligne 1265: 2023-06-27 13:12:55.177 ERROR   APP (Main): can't open file

I'm not sure which other process is using your appSettings.lua but it clearly seems to be the problem here. Maybe your antivirus is causing this? Weird, because antivirus usually mess with core game files (mainly .dll files), not with files under "Saved Games/DCS...".

Your should monitor this file using Windows Resource Monitor. Open it, click the Disk tab, then run DCS.

Now Alt+Tab back to Resource Monitor, then try to spot the "appSettings.lua" file in the list below: which program is accessing it?

@Flappie Thanks for the tip. I shall investigate, as you suggest
I do not have any proprietary ‘Anti Virus’ software, only ‘Windows Defender’ The PC is only really used for DCS, Both DCS Installation folder and Saved Games folder are setup as exclusions in ‘Defender’

Thanks for highlighting an issue, much appreciated, will look into it.

Rgds

@Flappie
Thanks again for your help.
I’ve been using ‘Resource Monitor’, as you suggested. But, to date, have not been able to recreate that particular ‘crash’ which occurred when loading a mission file.
My main issue, sorry if I was unclear, is DCS Standalone OB MT failing to run at all, crashing out with a ‘black screen’ most of the time. Of course once it crashes out, the log file ends and, also, DCS no longer appears in Resource Monitor (or anything else) So, don’t know what’s happening. I do know it was all working OK up until last update. Guess I’ll just have to hope next patch/update brings me more luck!

On 6/29/2023 at 5:04 AM, [16AGR] CptTrips said:

Yeah.  I'm not used to looking at production log files and seeing "Error, error, error, error..." and people tell you, oh, don't worry about that.  It's normal.  😆

Yeah, sure, it does also make it somewhat difficult to make a meaningful contribution to the ‘Open Beta’ program as one is never quite sure if an error in the log file is worth reporting or not?

@Flappie

Thank you, I will indeed. However…

1.  I do have to admit I’m now somewhat confused as to what is happening with my DCS Install
2. I’m pleased to report that, over the last 24hrs, my DCS Standalone OB MT actually does now load and run on most occasions. I’m somewhat perplexed as during that time I have made no further changes, installs or updates on my PC?

Thank you again
Regards

It just occured to me that you're using a i9-12900 CPU.

Something goes wrong in the latest OB update when the PC runs on a i7 12700 or a i9-12900 CPU. And it appears to be totally random, which means your issue will return.

See this thread:

7 hours ago, Flappie said:

It just occured to me that you're using a i9-12900 CPU.

Something goes wrong in the latest OB update when the PC runs on a i7 12700 or a i9-12900 CPU. And it appears to be totally random, which means your issue will return.

See this thread:

@Flappie
Thanks for the info.

In light of the post you highlighted regarding specific i7 & i9 CPU's, I have checked most of the settings listed, changed a few as advised and deleted DCS shaders in the two DSC folders mentioned. As you point out, the 'something goes wrong' appearing to be totally random suggests my best option to get this fixed is to await the next OB patch/release in the hope it will be fixed by then? In the meantime; you seem to suggest there is little I can do about it?

Thanks again
Regards

P.S. After changing settings, in line with some of your suggestions, I did get OB MT to run and load a mission so, out of the whole day I've spent on this did manage an hour or so's flying my new F-1E. But, it took a long time to quit mission and then quit DCS with windows reporting 'App Not Responding' at both stages. In any event, I attach relevant files on the off chance something specific may stand out if anyone (in the know) is able to take a look.

Thanks again

Further, I attach file mt.lua.dcs.log which contains the dump of my processor info

R9-F-15E-SINAI-TRAINING.miz graphics-opions.txt DxDiag.txt dcs.log

mt.lua.dcs.log

Edited by TonyRS
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TonyRS said:

As you point out, the 'something goes wrong' appearing to be totally random suggests my best option to get this fixed is to await the next OB patch/release in the hope it will be fixed by then? In the meantime; you seem to suggest there is little I can do about it?

Yes, we need to wait for a fix. The issue is reported internally. I hope devs will be able to reproduce this issue, but since it's random, it may take some time.

33 minutes ago, Flappie said:

Yes, we need to wait for a fix. The issue is reported internally. I hope devs will be able to reproduce this issue, but since it's random, it may take some time.

OK, thanks. Hope they fix it soon! Doesn’t seem that random on my PC ! Fails far more often than not 🤣
Does this problem affect both Single & Multi thread versions of latest Open Beta? 

2 hours ago, Flappie said:

No, ST does not have this problem according to affected users. You can switch to ST.

Warn me in case you see the same issue in ST.

OK, understood. Will go back to ST until MT fixed.
Thanks

10 hours ago, Flappie said:

No, ST does not have this problem according to affected users. You can switch to ST.

Warn me in case you see the same issue in ST.

I seem to have had some success in following your suggestion to disable Hyper-threading in the BIOS of my PC.
I see you’re in the loop of discussion on the matter on ED’s Discord. So, no need to repeat details here.
Thank you for your help, keeping my fingers crossed 🤣