Multi-thread overheating CPU

Go to solution Solved by okopanja,

When I run multi-threading, my CPU overheats to the point of shut down. I have cleaned out the cooling system, and the heatsink, I have applied new thermal paste. Nothing seems to help. Perhaps a way to choose how many cores are being used at a time? I also checked and cleaned the GPU, everything is optimally cooled, and DCS World Multithreading is the only program I have issues with.

25 minutes ago, Viper1031 said:

When I run multi-threading, my CPU overheats to the point of shut down. I have cleaned out the cooling system, and the heatsink, I have applied new thermal paste. Nothing seems to help. Perhaps a way to choose how many cores are being used at a time? I also checked and cleaned the GPU, everything is optimally cooled, and DCS World Multithreading is the only program I have issues with.

Which CPU and cooler?

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

You say a stock fan and water cooler... That doesn't make sense to me...I think th 3750H is a laptop processor?

• Like 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Unfortunately, I don't have experience with AMD, so I can't help you there. I'm sure I don't have a problem with the temperatures with MT version, but I have Intel. Check how your processor is doing in benchmarks, monitor the temperature with HWMonitor. Is it worth undervolting the CPU maybe? You can also check the paste to make sure it is properly installed.

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

On 7/4/2023 at 1:08 PM, festr said:

your motherboard is either overclocking your CPU or your cooling is not working properly. This has nothing to do with the DCS itself. 

It is an overclocked processor. And I've cleaned out the cooling, made sure the thermal paste is adequate, etc.

On 7/1/2023 at 12:27 AM, speed-of-heat said:

You say a stock fan and water cooler... That doesn't make sense to me...I think th 3750H is a laptop processor?

It is a laptop I'm running, ASUS TUF gaming laptop, DCS Multithread is the only program I'm having the issue with, everything else (and some things with sharper graphics) are running just fine, most of my programs use multi-core, so I'm at a loss as to why DCS Multi-Thread is overheating.

Google fails me, can you say what model of laptop you are using? And how the water cooling works, I'd have expected heatpipes, not water - you got me curious here!

Now, on MT causing overheating - what happens if you run Prime95 for 15 minutes? Similarly, loop blender multicore, can cooling keep up?
Then run a 3d benchmark, maybe it's combined heat from GPU and CPU that something can't keep up with?

VR, i9, Winwing, TM and VKB.

2, 4, ban, ban, 2

8 hours ago, Viper1031 said:

It is an overclocked processor. And I've cleaned out the cooling, made sure the thermal paste is adequate, etc.

It is a laptop I'm running, ASUS TUF gaming laptop, DCS Multithread is the only program I'm having the issue with, everything else (and some things with sharper graphics) are running just fine, most of my programs use multi-core, so I'm at a loss as to why DCS Multi-Thread is overheating.

Firstly, run prime95 and see what happens. You should see the same result - over heating.

Then go back to factory clocks and try again.

It is but surprising that you are seeing less CPU load with other games. Most games are limited by GPU, DCS is very unusually CPU intensive.

Please describe exactly how you made sure the thermal paste is adequate.

Edited by Scott-S6

On 6/30/2023 at 11:39 PM, Viper1031 said:

Most likely reasons:
1.) Bad or insufficient cooling
2.) Too much overclocking/overvolting for the silicone
3.) A damaged CPU from 1.) or 2.)

AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, MSI MEG x570 Unify, G.Skill 128GB DDR4-3200, MSI RTX3090 Ventus 3x 24GB, Samsung PCIe 4.0 M.2 1TB 980 Pro, Seagate PCIe 4.0 M.2 2TB FireCuda 520, Quest 3

With MT version I experienced CPU ~80 degrees and 100% RPM on cooler (I have i7-9700K - 8 cores, no HT). Same mission with non-MT version heats CPU on ~60 degrees with 60% RPMs on cooler.

In NVIDIA Control Panel I have changed Max Frame Rate to 60FPS and it helps lower CPU temperature on MT version too.

MT build tends to use all the power that your CPU has to offer, if your processor is not cooled properly it's normal that results in thermal throttling or even the computer shutdown to prevent damage to the CPU.

But it's definitely not a DCS problem, thanks god that now we had the MT, is what we've asked for years to ED 😉

To mitigate the problem like suggested by @jrz, you can limit your FPS.

FPS limit can be set in DCS also using the autoexec.cfg file, adding this line:

options.graphics.maxfps = 100

Fly Safe and cooler 😄

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

Support us on twitch subscribing with amazon prime account linked, it's free!

• Solution

Since I am a laptop user with laptop which does not have good cooling (despite award for best cooling company bought). In my case it's Dell G7 7700, i7 10750h, RTX 2070 Super, 64GB RAM.

Here is what I observed and what helped at the end:

- Often the problem occurs with laptops which position the CPU/GPU in the center with inadequate shared heat-sinks that lead heat to the FANS positioned on side. Even if they place the super fast fans, the heat builds up in the central section.

- Hyperthreading does bring temperature UP

- MT bring the temperature UP, instead of one core all of them are working this bringing power budget and highest clock speed to limit

- Coolpads help but have to be carefully selected

What helped in my case:

- Regular cleaning of intakes and outlets

- Re-pasting stock paste which turned into stone after 1 year of DCS

- Disabling Hyperthreading will reduce the temperature for several degrees + will stop confusing the scheduler that it has more cores then it does, and thus result in better cache usage.

- Buying adequate coolpad to take heat away. I Bought in total 3 coolpads: 1. Coolermaster Notpal XL 2. Klim Wind 3. IETS GT500 (with USB HUB). Coolermaster was a total flop. Klim Wind was doing fine (73-74 Celsius for GPU) until MT arrived, at that point temperature rose for CPU/GPU by almost 5 degrees. IETS GT500 solved the problem by bringing temperature of GPU down to 67 when running on maximum (noisy) setting. When I reduce the noise, it runs at 73 which is good enough for me.

Bottom line: laptops do not excel in DCS. There is a reason why manufacturer reduces the price from item sold normally at 1900-2000EUR to 1500EUR. If you buy expensive equipment you should try to get the one that has good cooling, and this costs. Investing into the quality and expensive coolpad like IETS GT500 is a wise thing when you consider total investment and risks.

Here is the link for the product:

https://www.amazon.de/IETS-Leistungsstarker-Laptop-Kühlpad-Geschwindigkeit-Dichtungsschaum/dp/B09D92421X

Edited by okopanja