Does this $10k hardware set up get me 5 years of "future proofing"?

I'm starting from scratch with the goal of a really good DCS experience with enough power to go 5 years without bogging down and choking.

Here's the hardware list I've come up with from watching a bunch of videos and reading:

Maingear Ultimate=4090, i9-13900, 32GB, 2TB SSD

Second SSD??

Varjo Aero VR headset

Lighthouse basestations x 2

Winwing Orion 2 HOTAS MAX throttle and stick

Winwing takeoff panel

Winwing PCR panel

Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals

Next Level Racing Boeing Military SimPit

Keyboard

Small monitor for start up

Mouse

Audio Headset??

DCS modules

I'd expect this will end up being $9,000-$10,000.  Yikes!!  I realize that one can get started for much less, but I know I won't be satisfied with keyboard shortcuts, etc.  If I'm going to do this, I need to do it right.   My biggest concern is that I spend this much and have it obsolete in a year or two.

What do you think?  Am I missing anything?  

Thanks

Depends, depends, dependsYou're asking the wrong question.
You need to distinguish between the computer itself and the peripherals, and peripherals.
Some of those peripherals will probably last you 20 years, or even more.
The computer? Depends. My computer is from 2013 and did cost 10K without ANY peripherals. Not even mouse/keyboard/screen(s). It was already left behind in 2016 when I first got into DCS in 2016. Even if it had dual Titans and 32GBs of RAM.

Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

You can’t have enough memory and it’s cheap. I’d go for extra SSDs for more than 2TB . And do 64GB of RAM if money’s no object. 
VR will still bog down and choke that rig though… it won’t last ten years for that, heck it’s already obsolete for VR 😶

Edited by SharpeXB
  • Like 1

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Varjo has foveated rendering in DCS and has better  graphics and better performance than any headset, I run it with a 4090 and a AMD 7800 and its amazing. Will it last 5 years? right now runs great, but if graphics improve and get more demanding , you might need to upgrade graphics card.

Varjo you might want to upgrade if something comes with FDR, larger FOV and same resolution , but quality wise its 4k right now.

I don't see myself upgrading it any time soon.

Edited by motoadve
  • Like 1

My last PC actually lasted me 10 years, I upgraded the CPU/MB in 2015 and it was still running DCS very well until last year. I would swap out the GPU every year though until the 30-series was too big for the case. Of course it was running 2D. Quite some longevity. 

• Like 1

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

I only would upgrade to 64GB RAM. After that you will probably fine for a long time when all those features are fully implemented: Vulkan, DLSS, Multi-Threading.

• Like 1

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

64GB and 2x NVMe.   2x2GB or 1Gb+2GB or even a 4TB one as the Game/Apps-NVMe.

Put in first class fans, PSU Titanium or Platinum, a good watercooler and prepare to repaste the CPU every 4-6 years depending on your usage.

• Like 1

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

21 hours ago, motoadve said:

Varjo has foveated rendering in DCS and has better  graphics and better performance than any headset, I run it with a 4090 and a AMD 7800 and its amazing. Will it last 5 years? right now runs great, but if graphics improve and get more demanding , you might need to upgrade graphics card.

Varjo you might want to upgrade if something comes with FDR, larger FOV and same resolution , but quality wise its 4k right now.

I don't see myself upgrading it any time soon.

:thumbup:

Same story here. Love my Aero especially with eye tracked Dynamic Foveated Rendering in DCS.

I will likely do a mainboard/cpu upgrade some time in first half of 2024.

I eventually ended up with Virpil for Stick, Throttle, and Collective. Love em. And MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals , love them as well. I am quite set on peripherals for a number of years no doubt.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

On 7/12/2023 at 11:10 PM, MJY65 said:

Winwing Orion 2 HOTAS MAX throttle and stick

Winwing takeoff panel

Winwing PCR panel

Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals

Next Level Racing Boeing Military SimPit

Keyboard

Small monitor for start up

Mouse

Audio Headset??

DCS modules

I'd expect this will end up being $9,000-$10,000.  Yikes!!  I realize that one can get started for much less, but I know I won't be satisfied with keyboard shortcuts, etc.  If I'm going to do this, I need to do it right.   My biggest concern is that I spend this much and have it obsolete in a year or two.

What do you think?  Am I missing anything?  

Thanks

Those things don´t get obsolete that easy.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle