Show Me Your Landings.........

CyberNV

Similar to F-15C and not so hard as the F-16C

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

6 hours ago, CyberNV said:

Curious to see what I am doing wrong. Never mind the fact that I just found the AoA indicator. LoL

What is going bad for you? I find it quite easy to get down in one piece and its the best behaved module IMHO under braking. Although one thing that has come up a few times is people forgetting it can carry a lot of weight in fuel and then struggling to land it with very full tanks and the high approach speeds that go with that.

• Like 2

I start dumping fuel when on the last leg to the airfield. Shoot for 8,000lbs or so. Less if I’m bringing back ordinance.  Seems to help with landing. 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

Most videos of the real F15E show them deploying the speed brake during the flare, instead of just after touch-down. Which is better?

Opening the brake during flare does tend to distract and even affect the flaring effort somewhat.

14 hours ago, Avio said:

Most videos of the real F15E show them deploying the speed brake during the flare, instead of just after touch-down. Which is better?

Opening the brake during flare does tend to distract and even affect the flaring effort somewhat.

Just tried it, I was worried it would change the trim or pitch but it seemed to stay neutral during deployment.  Cool!

16 hours ago, Avio said:

Opening the speed brakes just before ground effect helps to not float to much and miss the touch point.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Theodore42 said:

If you have a really light load you kind of need the airbrake during the flare or the F-15E will sail halfway down the runway before touching down.

Opening the brake during the roundout and flare only shortened my runs by a couple hundred feet, so not a massive difference or anything, but a little better

On 7/17/2023 at 4:33 PM, CyberNV said:

Curious to see what I am doing wrong. Never mind the fact that I just found the AoA indicator. LoL

FWIW - I have been flying the F-15C for at least a year...at the start I could barely crash it very well! 

However, after a lot of practice, lots of training videos and a lot more practice, I reckon I am pretty good at getting an F-15C down without bursting a tyre or bending the U/C.  Not bad since my PPL was on C-152/172 and getting on for 40 years ago.  

Moved onto an F-18.  The basics were there, and after a lot of familiarisation, I could make a decent pass at a dry landing, and just about get away with a CAT-1 carrier trap.  Not pretty, but not bad.  

Then, the F-15E comes along.  Now I LOVE the F-15 with a passion that isn't altogether healthy, so if course I had to get it...

The basics are still there.  I am still in the familiarisation phase.  I haven't crashed or bent her on landing (yet).  I can just about get her to 21 AOA, maintain around 170Knts, and manage my sink rate so that I can make the landing work.  I find A/B is optional depending on flare/travel down the runway etc.  I really struggle with the base turn into final from an overhead break: I cannot seem to coordinate the descent and turn so that I line up nicely on the C/L with a few hundred feet to go. 

I think the "simplification" of the F-15C model is more apparent when compared to the F-15E (in my case at least) and it feels like big difference is that the "weight" of the F-15E is there whereas it isn't in the F-15C (apologies - subjective but that's how it "feels") so there is a lot more momentum and "physics" involved.

More practice is needed.  Once comfortable with the basics I plan to practice some more until I can get it polished, and then I'll practice it some more.

(Maybe not that helpful but useful therapy for me, and I feel better getting it off my chest - thanks for listening.)

PC -> i5-12400F, 32GB RAM, RTX 3060 Ti, dedicated SSD.  T16000 HOTAS.  Opentrack/PS3 Camera & MSI monitor(s)...(Reality, virtual or otherwise, makes me feel a little nauseous.)

1 hour ago, Hipster said:

I think the "simplification" of the F-15C model is more apparent when compared to the F-15E (in my case at least) and it feels like big difference is that the "weight" of the F-15E is there whereas it isn't in the F-15C (apologies - subjective but that's how it "feels") so there is a lot more momentum and "physics" involved.

The FM of the F-15C is a PFM and is about as accurate as the F-15E. The E's engines weigh a whole lot more than the C's, has fuselage tanks adding weight and drag, and has a heavy air ground radar in the nose messing up the center of gravity. The feeling of weight is part of it 👍

1 hour ago, Hipster said:

I can just about get her to 21 AOA, maintain around 170Knts, and manage my sink rate so that I can make the landing work.  I find A/B is optional depending on flare/travel down the runway etc.  I really struggle with the base turn into final from an overhead break: I cannot seem to coordinate the descent and turn so that I line up nicely on the C/L with a few hundred feet to go. 

If the F-15 is clean and is low on fuel do more like 23 AoA units. Always land with a 2-3 degree glideslope and don't worry about speed, just CPUs (AoA units).

4 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

Opening the brake during the roundout and flare only shortened my runs by a couple hundred feet, so not a massive difference or anything, but a little better

Use the air brake to get the wheels on the ground so you don't float but then skip the aerobraking and go straight to wheel brakes. I believe this is the recommended procedure for when the aircraft is very light.

21 minutes ago, Theodore42 said:

Use the air brake to get the wheels on the ground so you don't float but then skip the aerobraking and go straight to wheel brakes. I believe this is the recommended procedure for when the aircraft is very light.

It wouldn't have been a good comparison to normal technique then 🙂  FWIW it still seemed to float, just a tiny bit less.  I half expected opening the brake to dramatically push you down into the runway, but it didn't feel that way.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Theodore42 said:

The FM of the F-15C is a PFM and is about as accurate as the F-15E. The E's engines weigh a whole lot more than the C's, has fuselage tanks adding weight and drag, and has a heavy air ground radar in the nose messing up the center of gravity. The feeling of weight is part of it

Which is why I find it weird that the Mudhen floats so much with even the slightest amount of flare, while the C doesn't. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

It wouldn't have been a good comparison to normal technique then 🙂  FWIW it still seemed to float, just a tiny bit less.  I half expected opening the brake to dramatically push you down into the runway, but it didn't feel that way.

4 hours ago, Nealius said:

Which is why I find it weird that the Mudhen floats so much with even the slightest amount of flare, while the C doesn't. 

The 229 engines in the F-15E have a higher idle thrust than the 220s in the F-15C, so they are pushing you down the runway. This is the reason given for the procedure of skipping aerobraking and going straight to wheel brakes when landing the F-15E very light. I read that the idle speed is reduced after 20 seconds of weight on wheels but it looked like this wasn't implemented last time I checked.

7 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

It's not about "push" but about drag. The speedbrake helps but it's not as if you were at 500 knots.

4 hours ago, Nealius said:

It has been ages since I flew a FC aircraft, but that aircraft may not have a ground effect in it's FM.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ignition said:

It's not about "push" but about drag. The speedbrake helps but it's not as if you were at 500 knots.

I was just thinking about its positioning that, intuitively, it might cause some negative lift as well, but intuition appears wrong in this case 🙂 

On 7/25/2023 at 4:02 PM, Hipster said:

It's subject and correct and wrong at the same time.   You're right' the 'weight' isn't there in a light gray, because it is much lighter ... but at the same time, the 'weight' isn't there in a light grey because the CG is different, and this makes a pretty huge difference IMHO.  The F-15C is simplified in some ways but not in this way - the beagle has more nice and extended feedback for the 'feel' of the flight though, again IMHO, and of course the beagle models the systems in much more detail - here I refer to hydraulics etc.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda