F-14 Cat vs Eagles instant action Sinai map

MiggyBlueSky

nullI tried playing the new instant action missions for the F-14 in the Sinai map and I came across this BFM Cat vs Eagles mission and I was locking a target with the sidewinder but wouldn't fire. restarted DCS and everything, still the same. until I switched to external view and saw there weren't any live sidewinders attached. is this a mistake or intentional? Thank you in advance for any response.

image.png

• Thanks 1

Might want to put this in the correct subforum, since this is for Heatblur to look at, not ED.

• Like 1
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

On 8/4/2023 at 5:31 PM, IronMike said:

Correct as is. It is a gunzo mission, but you can use the simulated sidewinders to see if you get tone.

I've also noticed the guns are set to fire in "burst" mode. Is this also by design? 

• Like 1

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

6 hours ago, captain_dalan said:

I've also noticed the guns are set to fire in "burst" mode

What do you mean? The gun can either be used in low or high firing rate. The only other option is for max bullets for a single trigger hold (50, 100, 200 or no limit).

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

8 hours ago, draconus said:

What do you mean? The gun can either be used in low or high firing rate. The only other option is for max bullets for a single trigger hold (50, 100, 200 or no limit).

That's precisely what i mean, it's sometimes referred to as burst mode. 

• Like 1

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

On 8/10/2023 at 7:12 PM, captain_dalan said:

I think I just left the default value, but I cant remember now. If you would prefer another one, I can change it.

• Like 1

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

6 hours ago, IronMike said:

I think I just left the default value, but I cant remember now. If you would prefer another one, I can change it.

Nah, it's ok. I mean, it can be real pain in the sitting apparatus to hit an AI in jink mode, but it's also one hell of a good gunnery practice and i learned to love it! 

• Like 2

On 8/15/2023 at 3:36 AM, captain_dalan said:

I mean, it can be real pain in the sitting apparatus to hit an AI in jink mode, but it's also one hell of a good gunnery practice and i learned to love it! 

So you were used to long bursts and the missions sets the short one (50)? I just tried this setting and know what you mean.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Thanks for the heads up.  I checked out that mission (didn't know I had it) and it was fun.  I don't recall a burst issue though.  I was able to shoot down one F-15 and was poised to kill the other but then I ran out of bullets and almost gas.

I also discovered this other mission, "Imhotep's Bandits (BVR)--that was fun.  I had 4 AI wingmen but they all got shot down leaving me to fight at least 5 by myself until the ready 5 arrived.

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

11 hours ago, bonesvf103 said:

I also discovered this other mission, "Imhotep's Bandits (BVR)--that was fun.  I had 4 AI wingmen but they all got shot down leaving me to fight at least 5 by myself until the ready 5 arrived.

Please forgive me for the off-topic question, but related to the video...

I know Jest(h)er is limited compared to an authentic, trained RIO, but in a multi-bandit situation like in the video, all I hear is a lot of clock calls in quick succession (12 o'clock, 7 o'clock, 5 o'clock). Is/was there any official communication practices for distinguishing between bandits/contacts during such a furball? I can imagine that with only two bandits, it may be somewhat simple to maintain clear communication, but what about when there are three or more? I'm quite curious to learn the official practices.

• Like 2

That's a good question.  I think maybe the best thing is to distill it down to who is actually the biggest threat, ie, who is on your six?

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

On 8/17/2023 at 5:10 PM, bonesvf103 said:

Thanks for the heads up.  I checked out that mission (didn't know I had it) and it was fun.  I don't recall a burst issue though.  I was able to shoot down one F-15 and was poised to kill the other but then I ran out of bullets and almost gas.

v6,

boNes

Glad you like the new missions, Bones! Try Op. Gauntlet, and ofc, my new all time favorite, the Suez canal crossing (it's so relaxing to just sit there and watch it hahaha) 😄

• Like 1

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

On 8/16/2023 at 7:45 PM, draconus said:

So you were used to long bursts and the missions sets the short one (50)? I just tried this setting and know what you mean.

Due to my inability to properly use the cross when the AI is in jink mode, i used the stream of tracers to guide my bursts. Sort of a "spray and pray", but with less emphasis on the pray, as i had a general idea where the next impact point will be as long the the burst was uninterrupted. With short bursts though, especially bursts that end on their own and not when i want them, this became less viable tactic. Which in this case resulted in making me a better shot. 

"Bio" Baranek wrote in his book Tomcat RIO that they would fire 1 second long bursts to be effective.

IronMike, thanks to you guys!  I haven't had that much fun in a mission in a while.  I keep coming back to fly it.  When I have more time I'll check out Op Reforger.

v6,

boNes

Edited by bonesvf103