DEAD priority list?

Nascar

I can't find anything simple. What emitters are the big circles?

How do you prioritize these common HAD symbols?

BB

CS 

S

Are the gold circles always enemies or do friendly systems show up the same in multiplayer?

Thermaltake Core P90 Tempered Glass//Thermaltake iRGB Plus 1200W//GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER LGA 1151//i9-9900K//Thermaltake CL420 Copper Radiator//Thermaltake W4 Plus//Thermaltake 140mm Radiator Fan Triple Pack//Samsung 1TB 970 EVO NVMe M2//SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 500GB //CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB 3200//GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 TI//Logitech G940//Virpil MT50 Throttle//MFG Crosswind rudder pedals//Geko GSeat//Gametrix Jetseat//Htc Vive//Pimax 5k+//Viril VFX//Razer Nari Ultimate

Big circles are mostly long range SAM systems.

BB (Big Bird) and CS (Clam Shell) are part of the SA-10 long range system.

2 is a Fan Song FCR radar for the SA-2 system.

19 Should be a tunguska, SA-19.

S is usually a search radar.

As for priority, the BB and CS are part of the SA-10 system, which is very dangerous. However, these two don't seem to be the FCR. If you see either of these, you should give them priority over others, but if you see the FCR of the SA-10, you should give that even more attention. Next would be SA-2 and then SA-19. A search radar is usually not really a threat, and if you have active SAM systems in the vicinity, you can forget about the search radar.

From my testing, only enemy SAM sites will show up with a threat ring on your HSD.

• Like 1

The guidance radar for the SA-10 is the Flap Lid, which will appear as '10'. The Big Bird radar is for general surveillance, and the Clam Shell is for low-altitude surveillance. In the future, the Tin Shield radar will be part of the SA-10 (which was used prior to the Big Bird) once the SA-5 gets the Tall King radar.

Edited by Tholozor
  • Like 1

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2023 at 3:39 PM, Nascar said:

I can't find anything simple. What emitters are the big circles?

How do you prioritize these common HAD symbols?

BB

CS 

S

Are the gold circles always enemies or do friendly systems show up the same in multiplayer?

I wont rehash the RWR symbols presented since that's already been covered by others, but I'll add what I think the priority radars are to kill:

Any track radar takes priority over any search radar... always... if it can't lock me up, it can't shoot at me.  After that, I generally go search radars, then the launchers.  Search radars for SAM sites can queue up AI aircraft to your presence... that's no good.  With Skynet IADS, they can be used for dispatching other AI flights from an airbase using the script or they can be used to let other sites know a HARM is inbound.  

IF ED ever changes it so search radars can "join" groups to replace destroyed ones, I'll probably prioritize the launchers over the search radars.

I'll wrap this up by saying, if you need help identifying what is what in a SAM site, I have a great kneeboard which has it all laid out, including RWR, HARM codes, and threat tables for the HAD:

It was unceremoniously removed from this section for not being an official kneeboard, but it's a good one none the less.

I

• Like 1

My YT Channel (DCS World, War Thunder and World of Warships)

Too Many Modules to List

--Unapologetically In Love With the F-14-- Anytime Baby! --

5 hours ago, skywalker22 said:

Can I ask here, is the acquire time of the radars also impletmented in DCS? Becuase they vary quite a lot, from few seconds to half a minute.

Definitely are.  The SA-6, as an example, takes long enough so that I can find them on the HTS pod, find them on the TGP, slew a maverick over to them, fly in range with the maverick and shoot at them with a maverick before they fire.  🙂

Too Many Modules to List

4 minutes ago, Whiskey11 said:

Definitely are.  The SA-6, as an example, takes long enough so that I can find them on the HTS pod, find them on the TGP, slew a maverick over to them, fly in range with the maverick and shoot at them with a maverick before they fire.  🙂

Ok, thx for the answer.

Do you maybe know, how to set search radars in mission editor, so they are not turned on for the whole time? But only when they need to (for maybe a shot period of time).

5 minutes ago, skywalker22 said:

Ok, thx for the answer.

Do you maybe know, how to set search radars in mission editor, so they are not turned on for the whole time? But only when they need to (for maybe a shot period of time).

That's only possible with scripting.  Wheelyjoe has an "easy" to drop in script which will accomplish basic functionality of an IADS, including turning radars on and off and HARM threat reaction.

https://github.com/wheelyjoe/DCS-Scripts

Or, my preference is Skynet-IADS by Walder:

https://github.com/walder/Skynet-IADS/tree/master

Skynet allows for some seriously complicated IADS networks, destruction of communication, power, and command facilities, as well as Jammer (think Growler/Prowler) effects parts of the network, HARM threat detection, and in experimental branches, mobile Tactical SAMs like the SA-6, SA-11, etc.  The scripting for Skynet is complicated and picky, but getting it right allows you to do some seriously cool and nerdy things! 🙂

Edited by Whiskey11
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Too Many Modules to List

4 minutes ago, Whiskey11 said:

That's only possible with scripting.  

You can let the AI turn off their radar even without scripting. 

Scripting however is a more elegant solution to the problem. 

11 minutes ago, skywalker22 said:

Ok, thx for the answer.

You can for example set it up like

If unit in zone, activate AI (only the AI, not the group itself) 

If unit outside of zone, deactivate AI. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, razo+r said:

You can let the AI turn off their radar even without scripting. 

Scripting however is a more elegant solution to the problem. 

You can for example set it up like

If unit in zone, activate AI (only the AI, not the group itself) 

If unit outside of zone, deactivate AI. 

I mean, yes, you could, but doing this for a mission with 30+ SAM's is a chore and it denies you of even some basic functionality like HARM threat reaction. 🙂

• Like 1

Too Many Modules to List

10 hours ago, Whiskey11 said:

That's only possible with scripting.  Wheelyjoe has an "easy" to drop in script which will accomplish basic functionality of an IADS, including turning radars on and off and HARM threat reaction.

https://github.com/wheelyjoe/DCS-Scripts

Or, my preference is Skynet-IADS by Walder:

https://github.com/walder/Skynet-IADS/tree/master

Skynet allows for some seriously complicated IADS networks, destruction of communication, power, and command facilities, as well as Jammer (think Growler/Prowler) effects parts of the network, HARM threat detection, and in experimental branches, mobile Tactical SAMs like the SA-6, SA-11, etc.  The scripting for Skynet is complicated and picky, but getting it right allows you to do some seriously cool and nerdy things! 🙂

Ok, one more question, if I use a script in a mission, after saving it, is this script embeded into the mission file, or script file has to be included (in zip file) as well?

3 hours ago, skywalker22 said:

Ok, one more question, if I use a script in a mission, after saving it, is this script embeded into the mission file, or script file has to be included (in zip file) as well?

as Said by razo+r, it'll be saved in the .miz.  If you make any changes to any script, don't forget to re-add the script in the trigger's list to "update" it since DCS does not dynamically update it.  It uploads it only when you add it tot he miz.  To make changes, just re-add it 🙂

• Thanks 1

Too Many Modules to List