Radio Menu System

Nascar

After seeing the recent quality updates I wonder if the developers would revisit this topic? Using a radial menu alternative for the comm menu. It would make the workflow so much easier and save keybinds. 

Many have commented in this video about using Voice Attack as an alternative. It is a pain to set up and doesn't often recognize commands whereas the radial menu only requires one button and works every time.

• Like 1

Thermaltake Core P90 Tempered Glass//Thermaltake iRGB Plus 1200W//GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER LGA 1151//i9-9900K//Thermaltake CL420 Copper Radiator//Thermaltake W4 Plus//Thermaltake 140mm Radiator Fan Triple Pack//Samsung 1TB 970 EVO NVMe M2//SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 500GB //CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB 3200//GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 TI//Logitech G940//Virpil MT50 Throttle//MFG Crosswind rudder pedals//Geko GSeat//Gametrix Jetseat//Htc Vive//Pimax 5k+//Viril VFX//Razer Nari Ultimate

That system looks too obtrusive. 

• Like 2

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | ASUS TUF GeForce RTX 4090 OC | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

49 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

That system looks too obtrusive. 

I'm guessing you don't have the Tomcat or VR. It wouldn't have to replace anything. It could be an alternative.

Thermaltake Core P90 Tempered Glass//Thermaltake iRGB Plus 1200W//GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER LGA 1151//i9-9900K//Thermaltake CL420 Copper Radiator//Thermaltake W4 Plus//Thermaltake 140mm Radiator Fan Triple Pack//Samsung 1TB 970 EVO NVMe M2//SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 500GB //CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB 3200//GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 TI//Logitech G940//Virpil MT50 Throttle//MFG Crosswind rudder pedals//Geko GSeat//Gametrix Jetseat//Htc Vive//Pimax 5k+//Viril VFX//Razer Nari Ultimate

8 minutes ago, BarTzi said:

A change? Definitely. A radial system? Not the way to go here. The menu has too many submenus for that to be even remotely user friendly.

It could have the same amount of steps now except you turn your head instead of fumbling for F keys and you only need to bind a single button. It would be way easier to give flight commands.

• Like 1

A change? Definitely. A radial system? Not the way to go here. The menu has too many submenus for that to be even remotely user friendly.
Yup! Make it like the George/Petrovich menu and use a hat to navigate. Preferably one you can click with obviously.

As for OP. VoiceAttack does not cut it. You need the VAICOM plugin for it to function properly.
Pain to setup? Download VAICOM and read the manual, it's very good. And VAICOM is now free and you obviously already have VoiceAttack.
Feel free to ask me for help. I monitor the VAICOM subforum and there are always help on the Discord.
I do understand the frustration of not getting recognised. Did you do the initial Microsoft Speech Recognition training, as that is the one doing all the work. VoiceAttack/VAICOM are not the ones doing the speech-to-text conversion. MS does. I did the training 20 times and I would drop DCS immediately if VAICOM for some reason stopped working, and I have all the modules. I would jump ship to that other Viper sim which also has a perfect free solution.

Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I think the solution for DCS should be a built-in AI speech recognition system. Not just rehashing a 1990s era keypress menu. 

• Like 1

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | ASUS TUF GeForce RTX 4090 OC | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

I think the solution for DCS should be a built-in AI speech recognition system. Not just rehashing a 1990s era keypress menu. 
As I've told you multiple times, VAICOM does not press keys. The AIRIO on the other hand works differently. But still not keypresses.
I do agree with you though, it should absolutely be part of the core, but I don't see ED program an offline speech-to-text interpreter that excels MS's. I don't even see them make a VoiceAttack alternative, which in itself resembles a coding/developer app if you really look into it.

Cheers!

10 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

As I've told you multiple times, VAICOM does not press keys. The AIRIO on the other hand works differently. But still not keypresses.
I do agree with you though, it should absolutely be part of the core, but I don't see ED program an offline speech-to-text interpreter that excels MS's. I don't even see them make a VoiceAttack alternative, which in itself resembles a coding/developer app if you really look into it.

Cheers!

When I wrote “90s era keypress system” I was referring to what DCS has now. And really the AIRIO is just another iteration of that with a graphical interface. DCS should have something built-in akin to VIACOM. 

When I wrote “90s era keypress system” I was referring to what DCS has now. And really the AIRIO is just another iteration of that with a graphical interface. DCS should have something built-in akin to VIACOM. 
Apologies for misunderstanding!
I'm so used to your stand regarding mods, that's why!
Enjoy your Saturday!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, randomTOTEN said:

eh

I like our radio menu.

I'm advocating adding an alternative not replacing it.

2 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

The problem with speech commands is that you have to memorize the specific commands. 

38 minutes ago, Nascar said:

I'm advocating adding an alternative not replacing it.

The problem with speech commands is that you have to memorize the specific commands. 

You wouldn’t have to memorize specific commands if it like the AI speech recognition that seems to be everywhere these days. It responds to whatever you say regardless of using key phrases. Yeah otherwise voice commands are too difficult to use. 

4 hours ago, Nascar said:

It could have the same amount of steps now except you turn your head instead of fumbling for F keys and you only need to bind a single button. It would be way easier to give flight commands.

I click on the menu using my mouse. Still, a radial menu approach is probably the worst. It works for the tomcat because the menu is very specific, but don't forget the game lets you add menus and submenus yourself, which will probably not be a good fit to the radial menu system. 

• Like 1

Are you serious?
So what does real pilots do? Read from a book?

Batmumi, Enfield one one, request landing...
Texaco, Ford five one, request rejoin...

Try VAICOM, it becomes second nature.
I'm pretty sure a real pilot was intimidated the first time they were on the radio too.

You wouldn’t have to memorize specific commands if it like the AI speech recognition that seems to be everywhere these days. It responds to whatever you say regardless of using key phrases. Yeah otherwise voice commands are too difficult to use. 
Yes, with AI. Then you must be online, and everything is saved an recorded.

15 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

Are you serious?
So what does real pilots do? Read from a book? emoji6.png

Absolutely serious. If you are talking to a human, they can decipher what you mean if you use the wrong phrase. They also do it every day. Most people aren't that dedicated. If VAICOM or VoiceAttack was the answer, more people would use it like people use SRS.

1 hour ago, Nascar said:

If you are talking to a human, they can decipher what you mean if you use the wrong phrase.

Yeah AI should be able to interpret phrases like “Iceman, I’ve got one on my tail” vs “Colt 1-1, Colt 1-2 engage bandits”. Most speech recognition today doesn’t require you to speak in exact phrases.

Edited by SharpeXB

Absolutely serious. If you are talking to a human, they can decipher what you mean if you use the wrong phrase. They also do it every day. Most people aren't that dedicated. If VAICOM or VoiceAttack was the answer, more people would use it like people use SRS.
Fear enough!
Come to think of it. That new thing for the civil sim might be the answer. Haven't tested it yet. It also uses the built-in speech-to-text in Windows, so maybe one doesn't need to be online after all.

Yeah AI should be able to interpret phrases like “Iceman, I’ve got one on my tail” vs “Colt 1-1, Colt 1-2 engage bandits”. Most speech recognition today doesn’t require you to speak in exact phrases.
Yeah, but most of them need to be online. You could watch Cortana doing the guessing while you were speaking. Think you can watch it on Android too, but maybe we won't need to be in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

This is what the radio menu should be like 👍

• 3 months later...