Best Hotas

Lee1

Hi Folks.

I have a significant birthday coming up and my lady wishes to buy me something really nice to mark it. I currently have a Rhino X56 Hotas set up. I'm having difficulty with the very fine control required to do AAR in anything i fly. Is it plain hamfistedness on my part or is there a better setup I can get to facilitate this annoying inability to accomplish AAR?

Thanks and regards

Lee

I found the move from a CH Fighterstick to a Virpil CM made air-refueling a lot easier.

Is it the best HOTAS?  I have absolutely no idea as I don't have experience with a VKB or WinWing unit.

My suggestion is to research all three.

• Like 2

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

You will not go wrong with Virpil or VKB. I have both and have used them for a long time. Both are excellent hardware.  Currently preferring my Virpil setup.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• 4 weeks later...

VKB gunfighter paired with the Virpil CM50 throttle is a match made in heaven

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryzen9 5800X3D, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite, 32Gb Gskill Trident DDR4 3600 CL16, Samsung 990 Pr0 1Tb Nvme Gen4, Evo860 1Tb 2.5 SSD and Team 1Tb 2.5 SSD, MSI Suprim X RTX4090 , Corsair h115i Platinum AIO, NZXT H710i case, Seasonic Focus 850W psu, Gigabyte Aorus AD27QHD Gsync 1ms IPS 2k monitor 144Mhz, Track ir4, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate w/extension, Virpil T50 CM3 Throttle, Saitek terrible pedals, RiftS

Was a Saitek X52 (later Logitech X52) user for more than one decade.

The step to Virpil, especially to the WarBRD-D base was as huge as the one from 2D pancake to VR.

It doesn't only make sim flying "easier", no, what it does is, it let's you "fly" your aircraft like it is meant to be.

Because of 2 things:

1. The center position:

My X52 has a center position that requires a small but recognisable force to get over it. So small changes around it feel... unrealistic. A real aircraft does not have that. That leads to the wrong style of hunting the 100% correct trim for the center position.

With the Virpil base, there is no recognisable force needed. I actually had to put a 12mm book under the front stand of the base plate to prevent the stick from moving forward by its own weight.  The benefit that comes with this is you fly the plane all the time and only trim when it feels uncomfortable. It feels great!

2. The curve of the force

With the X52, after getting the stick out of the center, the required force is quite small and constant, so you don't feel the amount of deflection.

With the Virpil base you feel it. It is not that you need very much force,  no,  the curve is such that you feel exactly where you are.

After 3 days my flying style changed completely. Now I feel a difference between 8° and 10° of climb. Getting the nose up on take off now let's me observe and control the AOA indicator. Feels funny. Holding the nose up after touchdown is like: "what do you want, 10° or 12°? Here you go."

And yes, it makes AAR much easier, and now I understand why real pilots say it is easier IRL. (DSC still lacks some physical feedback that would make it more realistic, but that's another story)

So the new HOTAS changed my life. And I even find myself touching and moving it for some seconds when my PC is off. You see..

(It was expensive but it is worth every cent)

• Like 3