ELYTRA Mod by FlyingAlex | Thrust-vectored | Touch Screen Cockpit | Fictional Fighter Jet Mod | EFM

This Elytra Mod is an entertaining, overpowered, fun and fictional mod.  It does follow some general rule of a delta wing design plane but still, it will be just a mod for fun.  It’s still in development but I hope posting it on forum earlier would gather some idea.

YOUTUBE LINK

DISCORD LINK

Requirement:

FC3 / F-15C

What Elytra can provide?

• 3D THRUST-VECTORING

• You could practice with the quick mission F/A-18-Ace-dogfight. An ace AI F/A-18C would pull you into an AoA fight which you could make the best use of TVC

• You could switch mode in FCS page to toggle Pitch/Yaw/Roll TVC separately. Sometimes you only want the Pitch TVC. 

• In order to make the plane less UFO, the plane is made for not stable in stall.  Don’t pull too hard while doing a post-stall maneuver.  It takes time and practice to play with TVC.  Cobra,  falling leaf maneuvers are can-do with Elytra but a mistake could lead to unexpected spin like a kite out of control. 

• THRUST TO WEIGHT RATIO

• This plane can accelerate vertically under 20k feets

• Thrust may be too strong, and need tuning. 

• Max afterburn could pull you out of trouble usually, unless it stalls too close to the ground. 

• Touchscreen cockpit

• Elytra use a touchscreen clickable cockpit 😄 I'm glad that the development of it is going well!

• image.png

•  High angle maneuver

• It does not have an AoA limiter as you can easily recover the plane with TVC and strong thrust.

• You would easily stall in turning tight as a delta wing would slow down the plane very easily and you would face too high AoA.

• Even without TVC it still can achieve high AoA.  You would stall around 45 degree AoA

• Very hard to fall out of the sky as the plane usually would recover itself if you push the throttle with the nose down.

• Super-cruise ability

• You can achieve 1.25 Mach without afterburner at altitude

• Mach 1.25  with afterburn at sea-level

• Mach 2.5 with afterburner at altitude

• Not so useful Fly-by-wire

• Still tuning.  You could override the FBW system at the FCS page.

• It would help in level flight.

• Model weapons compatibility

• 10 Hard points for missiles

• Superb dogfight abilit

• EFM flight model 

• doesn’t mean better than SFM.  It just means I can mess around with the flight model and make thrust vectoring possible.

• The lift and drag are calculated by component separately.  If you snap a part of the wing you only lose the lift drag from the part it snapped.

• A fair RCS for a modern fighter

• Custom HSI

• Waypoint, airbase, markpoint could be shown on the screen.

• Fully HMD

• The HUD is integrated into HMD. 

• Custom advanced EW

• You can see how far is the missile incoming

• EW filter (SAM, AIRBORNE, SHIP, MISSILE)

• 360 degree of angle sensor but still having some blind spot

• Check six warning

• Cockpit WIP

• Only BVR mode is using F-15C.  ACM mode are implemented with custom avionics code.  With the custom avionics you can now acquire air targets and ground target by the HMD.  No more FC3 control.

• Two mode auto throttle (ATC)

• Damage Model

• I didn’t work on the damage animation. No bullet holes but the wing would malfunction if it gets hit.  It would snap by parts if it’s taking too much damage. 

• Overwing Vapour

• Limited A/G ability (CCRP / CCIP )!  Cluster bomb, iron bomb.  Guidance not available right now but laser guided weapon might work with JTAC

• Ripple bombing setting available.  See the effect of 12 x  CBU-97 ripple run below 🙂

image.jpegScreen_240124_233832.webp

TODO:

• Better stall behavior

• Custom radio

I have not yet worked on the cockpit.  I prefer to build a simple cockpit showing all the mfd screen and publish it.  Maybe I could seek permission to use the cockpit of an existing mod as I’m not a good 3D builder…  Will work on it when I consider the flight model is acceptable. 

This is a one man project so don’t expect the work progress would be fast. 

Elytra specification:

Fuel capacity: 8400kg (Internal Bay)

Wing span: 13.85m

Clean weight: 17530

Max takeoff weight: 37340

Performance

Clean configuration

Maximum speed: Mach 2.5 at altitude; Mach 1.25 at sea level

G limit: +9.0/-3.0

10 Hard points

E546F784-4D69-4CE0-A8FE-EF18C87B18EA.jpg

581E05D4-205F-4655-B2B2-0B0427129612.jpg

D6B30E65-AF22-400E-8958-0242F6E53CE0.jpg

Credits: 3D model base from Nestor de Buen

Download would be available when the cockpit is ready.

Edited by FlyingAlex
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 5

• 2 weeks later...

Question: Does you working on this mean we won't get your TVC version of the F22 or does this just mean that youll focus on this one and eventually continue on the Raptor?

Virtual Pilot, Minecrafter.

DCS Owned Modules: F-15C, F-15E, Marianas, Caucasus

Mods I Use: Reshade, F-22A + Enhancement Mod, F-15EX, C-130

Discord: TechnoCatza

Safe Flying!

Hello, do u think I can put the cockpit of the Elytra on the VSN’s F-35 ?

I wait for the mod ✌️

French Virtual (And I hope future IRL) pilot (and patriot) 🇫🇷
Contact Discord (MP Uniquements) : pitigalaxy

Rejoins moi sur Twitch : twitch.tv/LeVraiGalaxy

Et aussi sur YouTube : youtube.com/@LeVraiGalaxy

12 hours ago, Col. GALAXY said:

Hello, do u think I can put the cockpit of the Elytra on the VSN’s F-35 ?

I wait for the mod ✌️

No you can't. Please wait for VSN team for F-35 cockpit. The cockpit script would only be working with ELYTRA's EFM.

16 hours ago, TechnoCatza said:

Question: Does you working on this mean we won't get your TVC version of the F22 or does this just mean that youll focus on this one and eventually continue on the Raptor?

Answer: I don't know 🤣 Modding spent much time. After I started modding, the time I used on modding more than I play DCS.  Currently I would make ELYTRA progress to a point where I could publish it first.  Will think about next step at that point.

NEW DEMO VIDEO!

Dogfighting with AI test 🙂 Please enjoy.

Edited by FlyingAlex
  • Like 2

• FlyingAlex changed the title to ELYTRA Mod by FlyingAlex | Thrust-vectored | Fictional Fighter Jet Mod | EFM

Progress on the touchscreen cockpit. 

Added weather data, thrust-vectored nozzles position, mission info on the screen. 

Working on more control options.

The space above the radar page is for warning showing.

Screen_231004_010105.jpg

Edited by FlyingAlex
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, FlyingAlex said:

Progress on the touchscreen cockpit. 

Added weather data, thrust-vectored nozzles position, mission info on the screen. 

Working on more control options.

The space above the radar page is for warning showing.

Screen_231004_010105.jpg

Beautiful! Look forward to it!! Could there be a digital altitude indicator?

• 2 weeks later...

Some progress on the mfd. CAWS ( Cautions Advisory Warning System) 
Now mfd would have an area showing cautions and warning during flight. Instead of showing warning at a static position like other mods,  it would dynamically sort the warning/cautions and show them ordered by priority 🙂
The critical warning would always come first in the CAWS area.
The screenshots demonstrated how the CAWS list changed in different situations.

Added indicator of nozzle tilted position as well.

DCS 2023-10-18 00-28-35.pngDCS 2023-10-18 00-28-18.png

DCS 2023-10-18 00-25-41.png

Edited by FlyingAlex
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

New Progress update! 
Development had been suspended for a while due to self business now it continues! 

Worked on the HSI page.  Now there is a moving map in HSI page while the scale is lower than 20nm.  In HSI page now you can enable Airbase finding function and HSI would display 10 most nearby AB on the HSI. 

Waypoint and Airbases visualized on HSI.  Added a seq line for nav

Screen_231228_001646.jpg

Screen_231228_001733.jpg

Screen_231228_001850.jpg

Worked on the EW system.  Now you can setup the counter measures as auto or manual.  For flare now you have an option to burst it!

Screen_231228_001944.jpgScreen_231228_002136.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, FuryNZ1781 said:

looks really good! glad your still working on it. any plans to make this launch and land on a carrier?

While Elytra is still using F-15C Avionics (which means only A/A), I would keep it only be launched at airfield.

And I don't want to work on the 3D model again haha. 

For the cockpit model only the touchscreen is clickable now. As ELYTRA is only a fun mod and doesn't chase for realistic operation procedure, I keep almost everything could be control through the mfd.  However I still need to model some physical button such as flaps and gear button.  Moreover, I've only finished the map in Caucasus. 

Still lots of work.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/28/2023 at 4:08 AM, FlyingAlex said:

While Elytra is still using F-15C Avionics (which means only A/A), I would keep it only be launched at airfield.

And I don't want to work on the 3D model again haha. 

For the cockpit model only the touchscreen is clickable now. As ELYTRA is only a fun mod and doesn't chase for realistic operation procedure, I keep almost everything could be control through the mfd.  However I still need to model some physical button such as flaps and gear button.  Moreover, I've only finished the map in Caucasus. 

Still lots of work.

This looks great! Have you considered using the avionics from the Su33 instead? That would allow air to ground missions as well.

Of course I know nothing about modding, maybe that's a lot more work. Anyways keep up the great work, I can't wait to try this!

"...I just wanna fly; put your arms around me baby, put your arms around me baby" - Sugar Ray

RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG B550 Gaming mobo, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD 2TB game install drive, Oculus Quest Pro via link cable, Standalone DCS beta.

• FlyingAlex changed the title to ELYTRA Mod by FlyingAlex | Thrust-vectored | Touch Screen Cockpit | Fictional Fighter Jet Mod | EFM

Another video out! 

This time I tried adding CCRP computer into ELYTRA.  The result is pretty good 🙂
As you can see ELYTRA still using F-15C avionics.  But with the ccrp computer the bomb from 10k feets can still hit the target. Although guided weapon is not possible at the moment apart from anti-radar missile but at least you can drop something and hit something now.

• Thanks 1

On 1/18/2024 at 7:59 PM, FlyingAlex said:

Another video out! 

This time I tried adding CCRP computer into ELYTRA.  The result is pretty good 🙂
As you can see ELYTRA still using F-15C avionics.  But with the ccrp computer the bomb from 10k feets can still hit the target. Although guided weapon is not possible at the moment apart from anti-radar missile but at least you can drop something and hit something now.

Those B-61's I added to the F22 mod could be employed here.  You have my consent to implement them if you wish.  

• Thanks 1

I figured out the way for the AG weapon.  I want to add ripple interval and quantity setting so elytra can delivery weapon like F18 way.

Everytime I was thinking about release, there would be new features coming into my mind...

So sorry guys.  Still need time for this. It would be worth it.

image.jpeg

On 1/20/2024 at 9:25 PM, Nightstorm said:

Those B-61's I added to the F22 mod could be employed here.  You have my consent to implement them if you wish.  

Thanks!null

• Like 2

Well this looks pretty neat! I just stumbled across this for the first time, but I'm very interested. Maybe I can get my VTOL VR F45 fix in DCS soon!

🍿🍿🍿

• Like 1

"...I just wanna fly; put your arms around me baby, put your arms around me baby" - Sugar Ray

RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG B550 Gaming mobo, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD 2TB game install drive, Oculus Quest Pro via link cable, Standalone DCS beta.