ASW evolution

toni

18 minutes ago, upyr1 said:

The development of a naval module would be the perfect time to work on the sonar module and anything else. 

No @upyr1 that need a radical changes on the core, with specialized crew and personal to build many steeps before build a propper module.

The perfect example has the Supercarrier.... No brigde, or CIC, or ship defenses or EW or Naval phisics or Damage model (add a heavy list of requirements). Only centred on air operations... but none about a real ship pilotable module and all necesary work arround.

3 hours ago, Silver_Dragon said:

No @upyr1 that need a radical changes on the core, with specialized crew and personal to build many steeps before build a propper module.

The perfect example has the Supercarrier.... No brigde, or CIC, or ship defenses or EW or Naval phisics or Damage model (add a heavy list of requirements). Only centred on air operations... but none about a real ship pilotable module and all necesary work arround.

It's all part of the same process. The changes they will need to make to dcs core is simply laying the foundation. If ED was going to do a proper destroyer they would need to rebuild dcs as necesary. 

Edited by upyr1

On 9/10/2023 at 4:18 PM, toni said:

Once Anti Submarine Warfare improves into DCS World, apart of new ASW air platforms, will we ever see pure naval units modules like submarines or surface ships ?

*If

Adding anti-submarine warfare to DCS could be an entire game's worth of functionality and content and that's without considering the very, very limited naval environment with ASW absent.

Though suffice to say even if it were to be developed, I very much have my doubts, especially for something approaching full-fidelity.

Personally, I wouldn't get your hopes up and I'd instead check out this.

Edited by Northstar98
grammar
  • Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

As an old Cold Waters player this is a pipe dream I hold out hope for. But I think it would take two major developments to happen. One, navel Ai would have to get a massive overhaul. Maybe we will see it in the Dynamic Campaign, hopefully. Two, a major naval game studio would have to decide to use DCS and develop the changes to the core, assets with proper damage, models, and modules. I do think it can be done. But as we stated above, it would literally be an entirely different game. One of the main reasons I could see to do. This would be the interaction between players, commanding ships and players flying aircraft. I don’t know if we would get anything newer than an Oliver Hazard Perry, although that would be quite an awesome ship to interact with our Cold War assets, assuming we ever get Cold War assets that have anti-surface ship capability. The wholeanti-submarine warfare environment would be a completely different game put in a lot of ways may be simpler. There would have to be an acoustic model. They would have to be torpedoes that use the acoustics model, but the damage model for a submarine is, basically it sinks it wouldn’t require distractible objects on the deck the way a destroyer would, if we ever see this, I suspect it’s probably 20 years out but it really would be fun to play cold waters-ish with 3-D stations reminiscent of wolves of the Pacific and players trying to kill you with harms and anti-ship missiles. Another issue I see is time compression.Cold waters got away with 16 X but online playing as a ship would be a long, long drawn out affair. Particularly if you were just one crewmember say a sonar operator. You would get to fill a little bit of that boredom, waiting for that whisper in the vast deep. Or waiting for a service contact to engage. Still I would buy it and I would definitely play it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FlankerKiller said:

Two, a major naval game studio would have to decide to use DCS and develop the changes to the core, assets with proper damage, models, and modules. 

This. Something like Sonalyst making DCS: ASW module. Implementing basics of ASW environment.

• Like 3