Dynamic Foveated Rendering - Everything in one page

mbucchia

22 minutes ago, f14billy said:

Yes 1.13 will fix it and you can just run the installer and it will replace it. Your settings should remain.

DLSS and DLAA can't be used together. You chose one or the other. I prefer DLAA because I have the pimax crystal for it's visual clarity and DLSS reduces the quality significantly.

Also make sure you set sharpening around 0.6.

ok thanks - will just update it over the top then - also is there anyway to tell if DSR is running correctly? (apart from an improved frame rate)

1)In terms of the in game settings had concluded the best results were achieved with just DLAA running (DLSS off and sharpening of 0.6 in game) - out of interests does anyone have any other recommendations for the other in game settings?

2)prior to 2.9 was also running my pimax with the 1/2 refresh rate setting selected - so it was trying to achieve 45 fps (which it usually did) - just wondering if this is the best approach now for smoothness or is it better to uncheck this option? (note running my crystal with a 4090 and 7950xrd)

DLAA is working by default wint DLSS, if works togerther ALWAYS if DLSS is active and, I have the same quality loss with DLSS and with DLAA without DLSS, the one that creates that loss is the AA DLAA filter in both cases.

Edited by Werewolf_fs

2 hours ago, Silver_ said:

I'm sorry, it's true, I forgot to say it. I have AMD Rayzen 7 5800X CPU and Nvidia RTX 3090/24 Gigas, my headset are the HP Reverb G2.

You have the same cpu as me but a 3090 beats a 4070. I find that the settings I suggested above works well for me with a Pico 4. Maybe it will work for you too? 

• Like 1

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

12 minutes ago, Qcumber said:

You have the same cpu as me but a 3090 beats a 4070. I find that the settings I suggested above works well for me with a Pico 4. Maybe it will work for you too? 

It's going really well my friend, thank you. The only problem I see is that the image of the TGP in motion is not good, like torn. The radar cursors also fade when moved across the MFD screen. This is all due to DLAA and DLSS but what I am doing is using TAA or MSAA instead and this problem disappears, at least until DCS solve it.

2 hours ago, Silver_ said:

The radar cursors also fade when moved across the MFD screen.

I’ve not noticed this but have only really flown the f16 and ww2 warbirds since 2.9.

7 hours ago, mac22 said:

ok thanks - will just update it over the top then - also is there anyway to tell if DSR is running correctly? (apart from an improved frame rate)

1)In terms of the in game settings had concluded the best results were achieved with just DLAA running (DLSS off and sharpening of 0.6 in game) - out of interests does anyone have any other recommendations for the other in game settings?

2)prior to 2.9 was also running my pimax with the 1/2 refresh rate setting selected - so it was trying to achieve 45 fps (which it usually did) - just wondering if this is the best approach now for smoothness or is it better to uncheck this option? (note running my crystal with a 4090 and 7950xrd)

I'm assuming you meant DFR instead of DSR. To check if it is working correctly you can create a settings.cfg file in C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Local\Quad-Views-Foveated and set the parameters debug_eye_gaze=1 debug_focus_view=1 as explained in the quad views online documentation. Then you will only see the high resolution area and the surroundings will be black. If it follows your eyes then you will see it is working correctly.

Here is an example of my current config file: Those two settings are commented there, remove the # in front and they will be enabled. These settings work great with DFR and DLAA with the crystal and a 4090.

***** begin of file *****

# Common settings for all headsets (unless overriden below).
smoothen_focus_view_edges=0.35
sharpen_focus_view=0.75

# Fixed Foveated rendering settings for fallback when eye tracker is not available.
horizontal_fixed_section=0.5
vertical_fixed_section=0.45

[PimaxXR]
# Dynamic Foveated Rendering settings (for Crystal)
horizontal_focus_section=0.3
vertical_focus_section=0.35
peripheral_multiplier=0.25

focus_multiplier=1.25

#debug_eye_gaze=1
#debug_focus_view=1

[app:DCS World]
# The settings are specific to the app "DCS World".
vertical_focus_offset=-0.1

***** end of file ****

With DFR enabled you can pretty much max out all of the other settings in DCS and get acceptable performance then tweak to your own preferences.

About of PimaxXR settings of the crystal, it is a matter of personal preference. Some people prefer having it locked at half the frame rate and others would rather get as much fps as possible.

Edited by f14billy

4 hours ago, f14billy said:

I'm assuming you meant DFR instead of DSR. To check if it is working correctly you can create a settings.cfg file in C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Local\Quad-Views-Foveated and set the parameters debug_eye_gaze=1 debug_focus_view=1 as explained in the quad views online documentation. Then you will only see the high resolution area and the surroundings will be black. If it follows your eyes then you will see it is working correctly.

Here is an example of my current config file: Those two settings are commented there, remove the # in front and they will be enabled. These settings work great with DFR and DLAA with the crystal and a 4090.

***** begin of file *****

# Common settings for all headsets (unless overriden below).
smoothen_focus_view_edges=0.35
sharpen_focus_view=0.75

# Fixed Foveated rendering settings for fallback when eye tracker is not available.
horizontal_fixed_section=0.5
vertical_fixed_section=0.45

[PimaxXR]
# Dynamic Foveated Rendering settings (for Crystal)
horizontal_focus_section=0.3
vertical_focus_section=0.35
peripheral_multiplier=0.25

focus_multiplier=1.25

#debug_eye_gaze=1
#debug_focus_view=1

[app:DCS World]
# The settings are specific to the app "DCS World".
vertical_focus_offset=-0.1

***** end of file ****

With DFR enabled you can pretty much max out all of the other settings in DCS and get acceptable performance then tweak to your own preferences.

About of PimaxXR settings of the crystal, it is a matter of personal preference. Some people prefer having it locked at half the frame rate and others would rather get as much fps as possible.

thanks for the reply and yes I meant DFR!

1)note your comment on DLAA - assume despite some of the previous comments your running DLSS/upscaling as off and DLAA enabled and you find this gives the best results combined with DFR?

2)In terms of settings was mainly referring to the in game ones - for example was reading different combinations of things such as SSS, flat shadows ,secondary shadows give better results in VR than others...... 

3)will test with and without the half frame rate lock - not sure yet if my system can maintain the full 90fps since the update - also will need to give DLSS a try and see if I can maintain the full 90fps or if it creates the blurriness many people are complaining about.....

10 hours ago, mbucchia said:

Omg this is NOT THE DLSS THREAD.

Please find another place for these discussions. 

Yes! it has now got lost back on page 4 in all these conversations about DLSS, but did you see my query regarding radical performance change ( at least as reported by the OXRTK FPS Counter) when tweaking settings in the companion app? I also had a query regarding generating a log file to look further into what I am experiencing. An aquaintance in my flight school who is also a graphics engineer did say that QVFR breaks the OXRTK FPS counter.....is this the case? I have been using QVFR for around 2 months now and had not noticed any issues with the counter prior to my tweaking settings. However since, as I said, the results its reporting are very improved.....

Something else that may be relevant, is that prior to the tweaks, I never had any stutters or noticeable loading pauses. However, while it runs super smooth now, with very low frame times, I did, right over Nellis on our school server, where there are many many objects etc, notice 2 or 3 1 - 2 second pauses, where the app CPU frame time jumped from under 1ms to mid twenties.....I never had this before so something has changed in the way my system loads and renders stuff. 

I am also ONLY running any changes from default in 2 places - the desktop Oculus software, where I have set slider full right, 1.3 x supersampling, which is unchanged and the settings in QVFR companion app.....thats it. 

Thanks for your great work with this tool, really transformed my DCS VR experience. 

Edited by markturner1960

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

10 hours ago, mbucchia said:

My comments were supposed to reflect my experiences using QVFR and DLSS and how both of these together have relieved the GPU burden. However, looking back I see that this really is not very clear. Sorry. 

On 10/28/2023 at 11:06 AM, f14billy said:

Yes 1.13 will fix it and you can just run the installer and it will replace it. Your settings should remain.

DLSS and DLAA can't be used together. You chose one or the other. I prefer DLAA because I have the pimax crystal for it's visual clarity and DLSS reduces the quality significantly.

Also make sure you set sharpening around 0.6.

I only got a tiny amount of testing DLAA on my system before something came up and had to be away for few days. Hoping to be able to later today, very anxious to try DLAA out in a good run with it in DCS.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

20 hours ago, mbucchia said:

Sorry teacher, you are right. The fact is that I put my question here about DLSS and QVF because we are in a forum in which DCS issues are discussed and how could I not talk about the new graphic implementations introduced by developers and how it affects those of us who use QVF . I didn't see a better place to put it than this problem (in another place they probably wouldn't have understood me). I say the same as @Qcumber. Sorry.

On 10/28/2023 at 2:26 PM, Qcumber said:

Try setting pixel density to 1.4 or 1.5 and then default settings in QVFR. This gives a good balance on performance and quality with DLSS. The cockpit is sharp for me and landscapes look good. I do however notice differences between maps with regards DLSS artifacts. What CPU and GPU are you using and what headset? 

managed to get QVFR working with the update - but how are you tweaking the pixel density? (think you can do it in the pimax software and also there might be a slider in the the in game menu - which is the best way) - also out of interest are you disabling sss?

On 10/28/2023 at 7:26 AM, Qcumber said:

Try setting pixel density to 1.4 or 1.5 and then default settings in QVFR. This gives a good balance on performance and quality with DLSS. The cockpit is sharp for me and landscapes look good. I do however notice differences between maps with regards DLSS artifacts. What CPU and GPU are you using and what headset? 

Id think it makes more sense to keep pixel density at 1 and increasing it for the foveated region in QVFR

You're wasting resources with upscaling the whole scene then QV to downscale the peripheral region again

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

5800X3D - 64gb ram - RTX3080 - Windows 11

5 hours ago, DayGlow said:

Id think it makes more sense to keep pixel density at 1 and increasing it for the foveated region in QVFR

You're wasting resources with upscaling the whole scene then QV to downscale the peripheral region again

Yes. I have tried that but the feedback from mbuccia's QVFR discord suggested that it was better to do it this way. I'm still unsure which is the best way. 

8 hours ago, mac22 said:

managed to get QVFR working with the update - but how are you tweaking the pixel density? (think you can do it in the pimax software and also there might be a slider in the the in game menu - which is the best way) - also out of interest are you disabling sss?

I am increasing PD in DCS VR settings. I have enabled SSS since the latest patch and it works pretty well. I have set shadows to "none" and it looks a lot better than "flat". QVFR is working very well for me in DCS. 

First off, thank you so much mbucchia!

With DFR, DCS now takes screenshots of the images rendered at the peripheral resolution (4% for me). The images are correspondingly poor. Does anyone have a solution for this yet?

_.jpg

Edited by Rufuz64

4 hours ago, Rufuz64 said:

First off, thank you so much mbucchia!

With DFR, DCS now takes screenshots of the images rendered at the peripheral resolution (4% for me). The images are correspondingly poor. Does anyone have a solution for this yet?

_.jpg

Use OpenXR Toolkit for screenshots. They will be taken after the foveation process, which will therefore include the high resolution rendering as well.

• Like 2

This account is now inactive and not monitored.

15 hours ago, DayGlow said:

I did exactly that and I say the same as @Qcumber, I'm still not sure which one gives better results. Although referring to what he told me in a previous post. I notice that I do slightly better by increasing the pixel density than by keeping it in the unit, especially when I apply DSLL. I have tried several online flights with positive results. Either way we are here to continue testing any good suggestions with QVF and the new anti-aliasing modes.

On 10/27/2023 at 4:17 PM, markturner1960 said:

So are you using any anti aliasing at all then? Or just QVFR/

..no AA.. just QVFR - super-sampling the foveate region means that you are, basically, performing a similar process to AA, but just in a much smaller region of the whole display (that you can actually focus on)

System specs:
i9-11900KF OC to 5500Mhz with water block- MSI RTX4090 OC - ASUS ROG HERO VIII - 64GB DDR4 @3600MHz- 1TB SSD OS - 2TB SSD GAME- 1000W PSU
Pimax 8kx - TM Pendular Pedals - TM Warthog Throttle - TM Waterhog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - WinWing Pheonix MIP/UPC - Homemade Landing Gear control.  Andre's SimShaker driving two subwoofers and seat kickers for seat and control column vibration - sketchpad linked to OpenKneeboard - VoiceAttack with VIACOM Pro

Hello Mbucchia firstly huge respect and thanks for all you do for the community. 

This could be lengthy so please bear with me, but I may have found a bug in QVFR. When DCS 2.9 was released I noticed a transparent layer in the Pimax Crystal that had some white text in the bottom left hand corner. It is not easy to read because of the location that moves with the headset. The text mentions something to do with auto exposure and some resolution numbers etc. I swapped back to my Pimax 8KX where the text also appears. I posted a couple of entries in the 2.9 thread release, but noted that no one appeared to agree or support my post or indeed raise their own. This issue only arose if I selected DLSS or DLAA. If for example I use MSAA X4 the text is not visible. 

This morning I disabled eye tracking in Pimax XR and QVFR. I also disabled eye tracking in the Pimax software the selected DLAA in DCS and noted the text did not appear but the FPS was down in the twenties. I reselected QVFR in Pimax XR and tried again and the text is back along with some odd shadow effects which had also been present. 

The work around is to select QVFR and eye tracking in Pimax XR, Eye tracking in the Pimax Software and MSAA x4 in DCS. Apart from some minor shadow shimmer the usual AA issues are dealt with and I get very good FPS. 

I apologise if this is posted in the wrong place in advance. Although I have a work around it would be nice to take advantage of the DLAA/DLSS feature in DCS. Any advice would be most appreciated. 

Regards 

Ryzen 5950X, MSI  RTX 3080TI, 1 TB SSD, 64GB 3600 MHZ DDR4 RAM, Pimax Crystal and 8KX KDMAS. WINWING F16EX Throttle: FSSB-R3-MKII ULTRA Base/TMWH Joystick: DCS: F16C

1 hour ago, Nuggetz said:

Hello Mbucchia firstly huge respect and thanks for all you do for the community. 

This could be lengthy so please bear with me, but I may have found a bug in QVFR. When DCS 2.9 was released I noticed a transparent layer in the Pimax Crystal that had some white text in the bottom left hand corner. It is not easy to read because of the location that moves with the headset. The text mentions something to do with auto exposure and some resolution numbers etc. I swapped back to my Pimax 8KX where the text also appears. I posted a couple of entries in the 2.9 thread release, but noted that no one appeared to agree or support my post or indeed raise their own. This issue only arose if I selected DLSS or DLAA. If for example I use MSAA X4 the text is not visible. 

This morning I disabled eye tracking in Pimax XR and QVFR. I also disabled eye tracking in the Pimax software the selected DLAA in DCS and noted the text did not appear but the FPS was down in the twenties. I reselected QVFR in Pimax XR and tried again and the text is back along with some odd shadow effects which had also been present. 

The work around is to select QVFR and eye tracking in Pimax XR, Eye tracking in the Pimax Software and MSAA x4 in DCS. Apart from some minor shadow shimmer the usual AA issues are dealt with and I get very good FPS. 

I apologise if this is posted in the wrong place in advance. Although I have a work around it would be nice to take advantage of the DLAA/DLSS feature in DCS. Any advice would be most appreciated. 

Regards 

You have DLSS overlay/developer mode enabled, which isn't related to.QVFR.

Open registry at

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NGXCore

Set the key ShowDlssIndicator to 0

Screenshot_20231031_051608_Drive.jpg

Edited by mbucchia
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This account is now inactive and not monitored.

Thank you so much Mbucchia, you are a legend the layer/text has disappeared with both DLSS and DLAA. 

Thanks again 👍

Ryzen 5950X, MSI  RTX 3080TI, 1 TB SSD, 64GB 3600 MHZ DDR4 RAM, Pimax Crystal and 8KX KDMAS. WINWING F16EX Throttle: FSSB-R3-MKII ULTRA Base/TMWH Joystick: DCS: F16C

Hello, I've got Pimax Crystal and can't figure out how to make QVFR work. 

I have created github ticket  https://github.com/mbucchia/Quad-Views-Foveated/issues/14 but I'm not sure if it's directly related to QVFR. BTW, if QVFR is disabled - DCS works fine.
In case it's enabled - I can see it works in DCS main menu, but can't load any mission.. 

Looks like this is main issue

depthBuffer.getDims() == dims && depthBuffer.getMSAA() == msaa` at D:\Projects\Buildworker\nevada_testing\build\Projects\render\renderer\Include\rwrappers\inl/FrameBuffer.inl:339

I was trying to repair DCS, different combination of DLSS and DLAA (2x, 4x) etc. But constantly getting same issue.

Any suggestions? 

Thank you!