Carrier Spawn: 'Delayed Flight' adds excissive weight to FM, with tracks and mission to reproduce

sLYFa

Whenever you try to spawn on the Supercarrier but get the 'Your flight has been delayed' message (mostly due to other aircraft already on the deck), the aircraft's performance substantially changes for the worse IF the player changes slots before the deck is clear to spawn. It appears like the plane's weight becomes much higher than it should be from what can be seen in the ME/rearming window. To test this, I created a mission which tries to spawn the player on the catapult, which is initially blocked by AIs. Once the AIs despawn (after 15s), the player spawns in. Taking off and flying on-speed in landing configuration showcases the issue. If you DO NOT change slots and wait for the AI do despawn, on-speed is 144 kts. If you DO change to the other slot (which has exactly the same loadout), on-speed is 158. This corresponds to roughly 8000lbs in weight difference.
I remember there was a similar (if not the same) bug back before the SC got released. HB eventually fixed it, IIRC citing issues with fuel weight initialization which done twice for a delayed flight with slot change.
Two tracks are attached to showcase the issue. If somebody wants to reproduce himself using the attached mission, do the following:
-Choose a slot
-Choose the other slot within 15s.
-Wait for your spawn
Aircraft weight is set to 60000lbs in the ME (no rails) for both slots. 

For comparison, do not change slots prior to spawning and you will not see the excessive weight.

This issue has been haunting our wing's (and probably several other peoples) MP missions for quite some time and I hope HB can come up with a solution.

Takeoff_without_weight_bug.trk Takeoff_with_weight_bug.trkF14_weight_bug_test.miz

Edited by sLYFa
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting!
We too have gotten this message rather consistently with Tomcats in JTF-1, except it isn't AI but other players - Tomcats & Hornets alike.

What usually happens after "Your Flight Has Been Delayed" and choosing a different slot is we barely get airborne at ~65-68,000 lbs gross weight.
If this is truly the cause, we're grateful to sLYFa for finding it. Of course, we'd be even more grateful to HB for a possible fix.

Thanks sLYFa!

i7-8700K / 64GB RAM / ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti / (Win 10 Pro) / Oculus Rift S

Can confirm. This has been a longstanding MP bug. The worst part is the only way to 'fix' it is to totally close out of the game and restart DCS. At which point you're just praying you don't get hit with it again. 

I have found an interesting workaround, BUT it's not 100%. When choosing a slot, chose another carrier plane - in this case a Hornet (I know). Spawn in. Despawn, select the 14 and you're good to go. I've gotten into the habit of doing this if I see even just 1 player on the carrier deck when I want to spawn. As mentioned, this problem is more consistently reproduced with the SC. The Forrestal/Free Stennis suffer from this, but not nearly at the same rate as the SC (shocker). 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I think I'm still having this issue.  Noticing that whenever I spawn and get the flight delayed message, I come close to hitting the water immediately after a cat shot.  This doesn't happen when I spawn without the message displayed.  Same loadout, same mission.

Yes this is still an issue. On multiplayer you are guaranteed to get "delayed to start" on the first Tomcat slot you select unless using the Forrestal, or unless the Supercarrier has 10+ open spawn points. Any less than 10 open spawn points and you will get delayed to start because the spawn slot sizing is screwed up over MP. Grimes acknowledged this in Nov.2022 and yet we still don't have a fix for either the overweight bug nor the delayed to start bug. 

Edited by Nealius
  • Like 2

FWIW, if you stay in the slot until you eventually spawn, the bug wont occur. It's switching slots after getting the delay that somehow causes the bug.

• Like 1

maybe the SC spawn management got worse but I remember that once another aircraft leaves the deck (by launching or disconnecting) you would usually spawn in. In any case, the SC spawn management is rather poor. I wish they'd focus on that more than on shiny visuals...

Easy solution, use the free and superior in every way due to bridle catchers Forestall. The Super Carrier (aka: Combined Arms the boat) is probably never getting better and heatblur can only work with what they’re given.

Edited by RustBelt
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...