Elevator Trim Tabs Move Wrong Direction

MadKreator
Go to solution Solved by Tom Kazansky,

When viewing aircraft from external view, using trim nose up causes the trim tabs( visually)on aircraft to move downwards. When trimming nose down, trim tabs move up. The function is correct in the game (trim pitch up causes nose to go up, trim down goes down) but the physical trim tabs move the wrong direction on the aircraft model. I have a track if needed but it doesn’t exactly show me pressing the elevator trim buttons I have bound.

Edited by MadKreator

Intel i7 13700k, ASUS  rog strix z790A, 64gigs G.Skill Trident DDR5 @6400Mhz, Nvidia  RTX 4080FE, 2x 2TB Samsung M.2 NVME, 2x 1TB Samsung SSD,  Corsair RM1000x, Corsair h100i 240mm cooler, Lian Li LanCool 3, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate, VKB STECS , MFG Crosswinds, Track IR5, 48” LG UltraGear OLED & HP 24” touchscreen for Helios, Streamdeck XL, DCS-UFC App, Corsair Virtuoso RGB Headphones

That seems correct to me (from your description). In order to nose down, you would need the elevator to go down, which needs the trim tab to go up. And vice versa.

Edited by Hiob

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

They move correct way.

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

The trim tab should move the same direction as elevator inputs shouldn’t they? If the the trim tab move upwards it would force the tail down, just like giving elevator input, causing the nose to go up.  On the ailerons the trim tabs move the same direction as the aileron input to trim in that direction.. if you roll left, the left aileron moves up, right moves down. When you trim left, left trim tab moves up, right moves down on the model

Intel i7 13700k, ASUS  rog strix z790A, 64gigs G.Skill Trident DDR5 @6400Mhz, Nvidia  RTX 4080FE, 2x 2TB Samsung M.2 NVME, 2x 1TB Samsung SSD,  Corsair RM1000x, Corsair h100i 240mm cooler, Lian Li LanCool 3, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate, VKB STECS , MFG Crosswinds, Track IR5, 48” LG UltraGear OLED & HP 24” touchscreen for Helios, Streamdeck XL, DCS-UFC App, Corsair Virtuoso RGB Headphones

Just now, MadKreator said:

The trim tab should move the same direction as elevator inputs shouldn’t they?

No. They move in opposite directions.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Interesting if thats how they are suppose to be. Seem backwards🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, Hiob said:

No. They move in opposite directions.

Huh who would have thought 😂 I’ll close this up then 

Just now, Hiob said:

No. The trim tab going uo, forces the elevator to go down. And vice versa.....

Yes thats what thought,, trim tab up=elevator down= nose up… but when using trim up, visually the tab moves down, not up

Huh who would have thought 😂 I’ll close this up then 

Don't worry, aerodynamics can become more confusing, the more you think about it the less intuitve it can become. 😅🤗

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tom Kazansky said:

@ 2min 10s

they are working correctly in DCS

AHHHHH ! I see that tab is forcing the elevator into a different position. Not acting like a little elevator in itself.😃

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MadKreator said:

Yes thats what thought,, trim tab up=elevator down= nose up… but when using trim up, visually the tab moves down, not up

Yeah, but elevator down, forces the tail to go up, which forces the nose to go down. ("flap" down = more lift, "up" = less lift).

Think of it as levers that act on the center of gravity.

AHHHHH ! I see that tab is forcing the elevator into a different position. Not acting like a little elevator in itself.😃

Exactly!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hiob said:

Don't worry, aerodynamics can become more confusing, the more you think about it the less intuitve it can become. 😅🤗

That video cleared it up! I understand how it works now 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hiob said:

Yeah, but elevator down, forces the tail to go up, which forces the nose to go down. ("flap" down = more lift, "up" = less lift).

Think of it as levers that act on the center of gravity.

Exactly!

I guess 25 years of flying radio control planes has my thoughts a bit skewed lol.. Of course RC planes don’t use trim tabs, just the whole surface to trim the model. I always thought the trim tabs we just small versions of the control surface to achieve smaller inputs, but they would move the same direction causing a small force to act on the entire aircraft. Never thought about a trim tab only acting  on the actual control surface its attached to.

6 minutes ago, Hiob said:

Yeah, sorry I couldn't express clearer. Youtube can be a bless for learning stuff! 😄

You were clear, my mind wasn’t receiving it correctly😂

Edited by MadKreator
  • Like 1

I guess 25 years of flying radio control planes has my thoughts a bit skewed lol.. Of course RC planes don’t use trim tabs, just the whole surface to trim the model. I always thought the trim tabs we just small versions of the control surface to achieve smaller inputs, but they would move the same direction causing a small force to act on the entire aircraft. Never thought about a trim tab only acting  on the actual flight surface its attached to 

If I'm not mistaken, Airliniers like the A320 also move the whole vertical stabilizer for trim via a threaded bar inside the main assembly. So more like your RC craft. Same probably for more modern fighters that actuate the whole vertical stab as well.

• Like 2

If I'm not mistaken, Airliniers like the A320 also move the whole vertical stabilizer for trim via a threaded bar inside the main assembly. So more like your RC craft. Same probably for more modern fighters that actuate the whole vertical stab as well.

I 100% agree thats where my misconceptions  came from😁

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Understanding how trim tabs effect the flight surface also helps you understand why the P-47 had elevator reversal above 500+ mph.

At those higher speeds, the airflow over the ailerons are so strong, the wing actually flexes.

The aileron acts as a trim tab and the wing flex acts as the control surface.

Pretty wild when you think about it!