Grass shimmering in 2.9 (really badly!)

CommandT

Hi all,

I have crazy shimmering when looking at 3D grass in game now after installing 2.9. It's crazy bad. There's an effect of lots of little black dots scattered all over the grass which are shimmering. Tried to play around with various settings but can't get rid of it. Is there a fix? Anyone else having the same issue?

I've attached my DCS settings. 

My system specs:
AMD 3950X OC @ 4.3GHz
Nvidia RTX 3090
64GB RAM
2TB M.2 EVO 970 SSD

Settings 2.9.png

Edited by CommandT

On 10/20/2023 at 5:01 AM, twistking said:

disable SSS, restart the game and see if it's better.

Did that - reduced the shimmering to some degree but still an issue. And either way SSS makes a huge difference to how trees look against sun light so wouldn't want to have SSS off! 

20 hours ago, Warsaw said:

You might want to compare your settings to the settings Spudknocker posted on YouTube for 2.9. Your upscaling selection may be the issue.

I tested all options. DLSS is not for me - it makes stuff too fuzzy on my big screen and no amount of sharpening can rectify the issue. So I have to stick with MSAA, as much as I would have liked to use DLSS.

I've messed around with various options now within NVidia control panel and in game settings - I can't make the crazy shimmering disappear. It happens mostly on grass but also shadows, power lines and maybe elsewhere. 

11 minutes ago, lukeni said:

Got the same problem with 2.9

It doesnt matter if dlss on, dlaa on, msaa x4, etc. Checked all the options related to shadow nothing helps.

It is horrible. Checked out all the guides out there.

It is really weird seems like something is overriding all your settings may be go to the NCP and change everything to default and try again?

TM Warthog MFG TIR5 GT Omega Pro/ButKickerx1/WheelStandPro Playseat/ButKickerx2

Hi everyone. Before 2.9 I had the same settings indicated in the first post from CommandT and with my i7 13700K+32GB RAM+RTX 3080 everything went smoothly. Now, with 2.9, if I keep these settings the game is unplayable (very slow and sometimes freezes). I have already performed the solution indicated by Flappie 

without any appreciable benefit, if I keep the MSAA 4x. Of course if I use DLSS everything goes much much better but... the price is a poor image definition and an annoying ghost effect on the HUD and MFD which make them unreadable. Even using only the DLAA, things are no better, in fact... they are worse than using only the MSAA 4x. I think this update is only appreciated by those who have the RTX 4090. I hope for a future update and, until then, I think I'll put DCS in the drawer. 

vor 8 Stunden schrieb Tzigy:

It is really weird seems like something is overriding all your settings may be go to the NCP and change everything to default and try again?

I had the same thoughts. I deleted the custom profile in the nvididia driver center. Did not change anything to the better. Dont get me wrong: there are differences between dlss, dlaa and msaa. The worst shimmer is on msaa but even on dlss it still does. 

I dont know what to do. It completely kills the game for me because the picture is veryvery "noisy" and not nice to look at.

Best thing I'd advise is do a clean (Custom) driver reinstall and it will reset the NVIDIA Control panel back to factory settings then work from there to see if your still experiencing the shadow issue. 

I7 10700K (OVERCLOCKED)5.1GHZ, ASUS STRIX Z490F MOTHERBOARD, RTX VENTUS 4070 12GB, 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE (3500mhz) 2X 1TB NVMe M.2 980 PRO SSD. WIN11,THRUSTMASTER WARTHOG JOYSTICK,THROTTLE,TRACK IR.

Have the problem with the grass also, and it looks wiklich not nice and can only join the previous speakers, I also use only MSAA x4. Unfortunately, SSAA was taken out completely, which often led to a better picture quality, but the new DLSS system is not playable for me on my 1080ti. Everything looks blurry and I see everything double and triple on fast moving objects. It is not possible to tell with the naked eye if it is a friendly machine or an enemy one, especially on Cold War servers a must have. I also think that the performance of MAAA has deteriorated...I used to have 120 FPS on MSAA x4, and now I can't even get to 50 FPS.

7 hours ago, Nimbur said:

Have the problem with the grass also, and it looks wiklich not nice and can only join the previous speakers, I also use only MSAA x4. Unfortunately, SSAA was taken out completely, which often led to a better picture quality, but the new DLSS system is not playable for me on my 1080ti. Everything looks blurry and I see everything double and triple on fast moving objects. It is not possible to tell with the naked eye if it is a friendly machine or an enemy one, especially on Cold War servers a must have. I also think that the performance of MAAA has deteriorated...I used to have 120 FPS on MSAA x4, and now I can't even get to 50 FPS.

Have you tried just DLAA rather than MSAA?

unfortunately i can't use dlaa because i have a 1080ti which has always been enough for me. you also have to think about the players of older graphic cards to provide a good gaming experience, not everyone has the money to buy a 4090ti for 2000 dollars. and some servers also have massive laggs after the update, sometimes for 10 seconds or more, so you crash constantly. enigma for example, or ddcs where many ground units have been limited to ensure the stability you have on the battlefield. then the warping problem, that planes teleport through the air every 10 seconds, makes it all currently unplayable on some servers.

MSAA seems broken in 2.9, at least for me. 
Shimmering and bad aliasing are present when using MSAA x4.

I switched to DLAA in MT version and not only is the AA hugely better, the loading of textures is faster et cetera. 

No idea what MSAA is right now but it doesn’t seem to work correctly. 

g8PjVMw.png

• 3 months later...

My woman, who takes no interest in this stuff normally, came to see how well my new card was running, the only thing she said was "what's with all the shimmering and jagged lines, looks terrible."  Although my frame rates are great, but when I mentioned that she just looked at me, rolled her eyes, shook her head and walked out.

MSAA has not worked properly or at all since MT version imo, although it's was never that great before, it is way worse now.  Not a fan of upscaling, but even that does not solve the problem.