DCS Crashes when compiling shaders. (Failed to create shader resource view for coremods... Reason: The GPU device instance has been suspended.)

MAXsenna
Go to solution Solved by Borchad,

Hi @MAXsenna. It's so strange to see a fellow helpful user open his own thread about a serious DCS issue. 🫤

You have a rather small 10 GB pagefile considering you "only" have 32GB of RAM. Is that usually this low? Maybe this is caused by your C:\ drive lacking free space (31 GB left when the dxdiag got made). You should try freeing up some space.

• Like 1

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Hi @MAXsenna. It's so strange to see a fellow helpful user open his own thread about a serious DCS issue. 🫤
You have a rather small 10 GB pagefile considering you "only" have 32GB of RAM. Is that usually this low? Maybe this is caused by your C:\ drive lacking free space (31 GB left when the dxdiag got made). You should try freeing up some space.
Nah, I've let Windows handle it for years without any issues. Only crashes I've had ever on this computer has been DCS when OCing the GPU(s). Never had any crashes with shader compilation before, so something's up with this update, unfortunately. While I did forget about the swap file, I'll try to increase it tomorrow and clean out some recordings.
I'll keep you posted.
Cheers!

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

On 10/20/2023 at 4:15 PM, MAXsenna said:

GUI Starts fine, mission editor starts fine. Crashes when starting any mission in any module.
Tested with both ST and MT.
Updated GPU drivers.
No mods, full repair of core and new clean Saved Games folder.
Graphics settings at low.

Cheers!

image.png

dcs.log 445.38 kB · 9 downloads dcs.log-20231020-074459.zip 287.64 kB · 4 downloads dcs.log-20231020-075643.zip 1.8 MB · 4 downloads

I'm have the exact same issue and log results. Start fine. Only fails as I attempt to start any mission.dcs.log-20231022-124206.zip

dcs.log

• Like 1

• Solution

What graphics card are you using? If it is an older graphics card that no longer receives driver updates from nvidia that may be the cause.

I had this exact issue after the 2.9 update. Spend about 6 hours troubleshooting through various methods and ended up putting in a support ticket. The best reasoning that we could come up with is that my graphics card (Nvidia 770) is not longer supported by driver updates from Nvidia. This apparently could be what is causing the game to break. I rolled back to the stable version and was instructed to never let the game update to 2.9. I'm able to run the stable version with no issues. 

Please let me know if you find a way to fix this in the updated game. As of now it looks like I'll be playing on the last 2.8 version until I can save enough for a new PC.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2023 at 3:21 AM, Borchad said:

What graphics card are you using? If it is an older graphics card that no longer receives driver updates from nvidia that may be the cause.

I had this exact issue after the 2.9 update. Spend about 6 hours troubleshooting through various methods and ended up putting in a support ticket. The best reasoning that we could come up with is that my graphics card (Nvidia 770) is not longer supported by driver updates from Nvidia. This apparently could be what is causing the game to break. I rolled back to the stable version and was instructed to never let the game update to 2.9. I'm able to run the stable version with no issues. 

Please let me know if you find a way to fix this in the updated game. As of now it looks like I'll be playing on the last 2.8 version until I can save enough for a new PC.

Thanks for that. I am running an older graphics card Gigabyte GTX670. I had a feeling that may have been the issue. I am looking to upgrade my PC soon. 

• Like 1

Hey @MAXsenna, any good news or you still have this issue?
Hi! Thanks Flappie! Took a little break. But tonight I did change the swap file and clean out the disk. Tested the Refuel Fight Recover F-14 QS mission, and it got through the shader compilation. Alas, it crashed after two seconds after clicking fly.
Downloaded Heaven and ran it for 10 minutes just to see if my GPU somehow died last week. If anyone can recommend other GPU tester programs, I'm all ears. Might revert to 2.8 to make sure that still runs. Sigh...

Yes, I suspect this is my issue as well, even when notified by driver updates that are successfully installed without warnings. Will look into that. I also suspect the new DLSS code, as I have an GTX card, which obviously is not supported.

@Special K told me several GTX owners were having crash issues with DCS 2.9.

I have a GTX 1080Ti and no crash for me so far. I see you're running W10. Have you though about switching to W11 yet? I have, and everything went according to plan (just don't forget to update your GPU driver manually once you're in W11).

How is it GTX Titan (highest level GeForce 700 series card) is not supported? Is it confirmed or just having troubles with 2.9? We were not informed about any minimum system requirements changes. Currently on the web stays this info as minimum GPU: Discrete video card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 / AMD R9 280X or better.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

@Flappie
Too much craving for DCS, couldn't be bothered to wait for a fix, so I got myself a second hand 2080Ti for a decent price.
Safe Mode, DDU, driver. Everything back to normal, except that pretty much max out EVERY setting and get double the FPS. And the GPU runs around 67%, (my old CPU too), and is QUIET. Practically a new game, so I can't decide on what to fly first? First world issues. Oh, well. Had to check out that new tanker. It is gorgeous. Can't wait for eventually better physics in the future.
Anyway, I agree with @draconus, nothing in the change logs/requirements indicated that my old GPUs would crash with the new version. I understand that DCS is different from that civilian SIM, but that one didn't crash, while they both use NVIDIA tech, which I'm really sure is the culprit of this. The implementation of it, in any case.
One more thing, I'll just ask here since you're probably know. The DCS log is littered with errors. Been like that for a while now. Should all the errors be reported individually? I'm down for taking the time. Negative weight, negative drag, DDS errors. Multiple errors with updated AI models etc.
Cheers!

PS: No, I haven't considered W11 at all. What are the benefits?

• Like 1

Happy to know you're back on track! But that doesn't solve the problem for old NVIDIA cards, of course...

A lot of DCS log errors are already reported. I'll send you the list in PM if you want.

Most users say they gained some FPS after switching from W10 to W11, but that's about it. I was asking because I thought maybe W11 would handle the GPU a bit differently, thus making your old GPU work with DCS2.9.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flappie said:

Happy to know you're back on track! But that doesn't solve the problem for old NVIDIA cards, of course...

Thanks, and yes unfortunately it doesn't.

A lot of DCS log errors are already reported. I'll send you the list in PM if you want.

Please that'd be great, so I can compare and have a look!

Most users say they gained some FPS after switching from W10 to W11, but that's about it. I was asking because I thought maybe W11 would handle the GPU a bit differently, thus making your old GPU work with DCS2.9.

Ah, I see. Not sure if my mainboard have TPM, (think it does), so I haven't bothered checking actually!
Cheers!

I too have a GTX 970 but I have not run into this issue myself.. So, it could bea combination of CPU and GPU maybe? But, just wanted to point that out.. HOpe you guys get it worked out!
Not a GTX 700 series. They'll be coming for you too, don't you worry!

• Like 1

On 11/9/2023 at 2:27 AM, MAXsenna said:

Not a GTX 700 series. They'll be coming for you too, don't you worry! emoji1.png

Yea, I realized a bit after that it was the 700 Series you guys were talking about but figuring how old this card is as well I figured I would be running into some similar issues soon. Just holding out until Tax season as I plan on finally replacing this old potato lol. Hopefully, holds out until then!

• Like 1

Yea, I realized a bit after that it was the 700 Series you guys were talking about but figuring how old this card is as well I figured I would be running into some similar issues soon. Just holding out until Tax season as I plan on finally replacing this old potato lol. Hopefully, holds out until then!
Crossing my fingers for you. You are probably safe until at least 3.x.x.x is out, but I wonder if we actually can get a 2.10. x.x with Vulkan before that.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

I have the same issue like the thread starter had in the first place. DCS World starts up, I open Mission Editor and create a short mission without trouble. As soon as I start up the sim, it crashes on loading or it just loads up a grey cockpit without textures and crashes then in the process of starting up the A/C. Most of the time the DCS freezes so violently that not even a report is created. DCS refueses to be terminated until I reset the PC manually (8sec Pwr Btn or Reset Btn). Affects both ST & MT. In MT it crashes quicker. 

First I removed all OC, then I removed all MODs. After that I deleted my saved games folder and finally installed DCS new. 4 times now. 2 weeks ago i reinstalled windows 11 and ran a 48h memory test in bios. No findings, but also no success. Since 2.9 DCS is not cooporating with me at all. before i flew in VR now 2d isnt even working anymore. Graphics card is working perfectly fine with 99% neutralization in Cyberpunk and Control.

Please help looking forward to DCS beeing a source of joy again.

dcs.20240109-002714.log dcs.log-20240109-002714.zip System Settings.csv

Edited by Reamer_DE

APP (Main): CPU cores: 8, threads: 16, System RAM: 32678 MB, Pagefile: 2048 MB

I'd start there.  Bump your pagefile to at least 32678 MB on a fast drive.  32GB (well 34 with the pagefile) isn't really enough to run DCS well.

Not sure what this file is either, but it also seems to be causing issues.  Check that your anti-virus isn't blocking access to your DCS saved games.

ERROR   EDCORE (Main): Can't open file 'C:\Users\TiM\Saved Games\DCS\Config\vc_options.json.' from fs

Hi Rob,

Yesterday I ramped up the pagefile to 63825 MB. I was able to perform a start up and flight with F-18 on Caucasus. When I switched (F2) to the AI Su25T which was flying lonely on the same map, it crashed.

Today I ran the same mission again and it worked, but loading a different mission resulted in a crash again during entering the cockpit. The attached log is from the last try.

dcs.log

Hi Guys,

a small heads up.

last week I did a ton of testing. Different RAM Konfigurations, Bios Updates etc. and when I copied the install folder to an external drive and connected it to another PC, DCS ran totally fine. So I started to troubleshoot the components again since the files are good. DCS was running on the initial PC fine when started from the external drive.

So there is a logical explanation for me. My GPU uses PCIe Slot 2 x16 Gen 4 and the 2nd M.2 (where DCS is installed) makes the PCIe slot 2 split to 8x and 4x for the m.2 drive. The drive is using gen 3. maybe there is some conflicting going on. ASUS warns in the Bios that there might be conflicts when both slots are occupied at the same time.

i tested big missions with DCS from that external drive and it worked fine.

let me know what Y‘all think about my assumptions.

On 1/13/2024 at 9:49 PM, Reamer_DE said:

let me know what Y‘all think about my assumptions

Yes, this can be the cause. Thanks for the feedback. This kind of errors always used to come from the hardware.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria