Need SSAA!

gonchangye

If you have RTX cards, Please try DLDSR or DSR super sampling; you are still able to render the image at much higher resolution for a better AA result.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=DLDSR+DSR

https://search.bilibili.com/all?keyword=DLDSR

If you have AMD cards, you should use RSR super resolution.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=AMD+RSR

https://search.bilibili.com/all?keyword=Amd+RSR

DCS only use your current screen res as baseline, so in order to make those feature working you need set to exclusive full screen or set your native desktop resolution to DSR/RSR resolution too.

And you can combine DLDSR with DLSS, and RSR with FSR with bit of blur if your card unable to handle full 2x 4X resolution.

Edited by Insonia

Any comment from the devs?  Any of them test this with an older card and 1440p?  Because stuff in the cockpit is literally illegible.  And when zoomed in, it becomes smoother, as supposed to more jagged which would be a res issue?  It should get smoother farther away.  Pixels or something.  No, adjust the LOD slider doesn't do it.  I think it's the AA modes that you took out.

56 minutes ago, SickSidewinder9 said:

Bump

Try turning off the DLSS or FSR upscaling. Those will just add artifacts. You will get the best quality and sharpness running your screen at native resolution. Then use MSAA 4x. Set Sharpening back to its default value since it’s only meant to be used with upscaling. DSR only adds a minor improvement and comes at a huge performance cost so it’s not worthwhile IMO. Set your Nvidia CP settings back to defaults. 

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Ok, again for all the people who missed stuff skimming the thread:

1080ti, so no DLSS.

Not using upscaling, it just makes stuff blurry.

Literally no settings make the cockpit look like it did, only zooming in.  There is something wrong with the AA.  You can see it in the grass too, it does that shimmer thing.  MSAA 4x and .1 sharpening is the best image quality I can get so far, EXCEPT THE COCKPITS LOOK LIKE <profanity>.  I feel like I'm getting eye problems.  Then back and neck problems from having to zoom in and squint.  Had a nice ergonomic-ish setup with side stick on throttle on my chair arms.  Didn't slouch.

Seriously, 2.9 has been a huge let down.  Little to know performance increase, can't get TDOA to work, datalinks are glitched or just messed up in older missions, F-16 TPOD animations still aren't quite right and the HMD is broken, and the part of the game I view the most, the cockpit, looks like trash.  Oh and midair refueling is still weird.  The great VOIP upgrade doesn't work at all.  Great update, guys.
I really want the F-4 module but I'm not buying anything till you guys get your act together.

Also, lol at blocking profanity in a COMBAT flight sim.  You should watch Apocalypse Now.

Edited by SickSidewinder9
  • Like 1

He vuelto a la última versión 2.8, 2.9 todavía deja mucho que desear en cuanto a AA. He probado todas las configuraciones y la que más se acercaba al SSA X2 era DLAA, pero las cabinas parecen de peor calidad. Vuelo en un monitor con una resolución de 1080 y tengo una Nvidia 3080.

Edited by Javier

Thank you, I was hoping someone from the dev end would reply.  I'll attach the config I have right now. 

I should also mention that it still doesn't look great without Nvidia Control Panel boosting the AA.  It needs it in the external view.  I remember grass shimmering being a thing in certain AA/other(?) configurations in Arma, but I can't remember what exactly did it and don't know if it would transfer.  But there's definitely weird shimmering from grass, maybe water, and the antenna rotations make for odd shadows when sitting on the deck of the carrier in the parking spots between the island and the bow catapults.  And again, stuff just looks better with extra AA turned on in Nvidia CP. 

I guess I could do a short video from with something (I honestly have no idea what) to show you what I mean.  A lot of them compress though and then stuff gets lost. 

Maybe it's something I can fix with Reshade but the nice thing about getting a gaming monitor was how I didn't need that anymore.  I already need to have Steam, OpenTrack, and SRS running before running DCS.  Don't need to load yet another thing.

Wouldn't a track file just replay on your PC in your settings?

options.lua

Nvidia settings:

nullDSR doesn't help, btw.

image.png

clarity

I turned aa off, but turning on FSR sets TAA as on.  All the way up to .9 and sharpening up to .66.  It looks like a little better and the grass isn't shimmering, but it's still not great.  Hard to see the waypoint number on the MPCD.  It didn't used to be before 2.9.  The flap/gear indicator should be clearer too.

null

image.png

Oh, right.  I remembered why I wasn't using upscaling after trying it:  cockpit screens have a weird transition:  change mfd screens?  They fade from 1 to the other.  Punching in numbers?  They fade in.  It like when I first learned to use PowerPoint in 1997.  Would/should changing to "1024 every frame" for the MFD setting in graphics settings do anything about that?  Are you guys working on higher rez cockpit displaces?  Again, things are just downright illegible.

i feel the same way, as i also use an older graphics card (1080 ti) and will not buy a newer one just to make dcs work in some ways. they should have left the SSAA function active for those who have older graphics cards. for me, only MSAA is not a solution, and i am very unhappy with the result.

• 3 weeks later...

Upgraded to a 4070 and there's definitely something missing AA wise.  Cockpit still isn't quite as clear as it should be and there's a bit of blurring in the cockpit and especially with anything that moves.  Yes I played with sharpening etc.  there's also that weird fade effect with MFD's.  It actually makes the radar sweep line on the Hornet radar MFD blur badly.  I'm kinda getting used to it but it's still annoying.

I'm running 1440p on a 144Hz G Sync monitor.  What would be causing the blurring?  Should I enable V Sync in game?

It's basically like the frames blend from one to the next.

There's a "response time" setting of some kind in my monitor.  Try that?  It seems like a rendering thing though.

144fps though.  Never dreamed of a number like that.  The 4070 barely warms up and it's only a dual fan crammed in an ITC case.  Good times.

Edit:v no, it's not a v sync or adaptive response rate thing.  Basically the DLSS creates a motion blur because there's some kind of latency in the rendering.

13 hours ago, PeevishMonkey said:

Instruction for NVidia users: How to have SSAA without SSAA option.

This is exactly what I'm talking about.  I shouldn't have to do all that to trick the game and use more compute power.  They should have tested 1440p.

I will give it a try later maybe.  Wanna try some other games.  Maybe, lol, I'm weird about what holds my attention .  🤷🏻‍♂️

Does that also fix the motion blur?