Setting up Datalink In-Game

Legs
Go to solution Solved by Raptor9,

This may be a weird question but i was curious if there is a way to go about setting DL stuff in game, in the aircraft with all members of your flight. My thinking is that, what if for whatever reason, preset channels in the ME are wonky or not even setup for whatever reason, is there a way individual aircraft can create i guess new presets if that makes sense? One thing i noticed last night was it was difficult to tell who was who in the member directory. Is there a way to change those? I know you can change own ID's and such but when adding an aircraft with a different C/S other than what was in the preset, we were unable to set them as TEAM/PRI. Hope someone might be able to see what im trying to accomplish here.

LEGS - JTF-13

Can one of the developers please confirm if the new datalink messaging system is available in single player, or only multiplayer.   I am trying to get it to work in single player and have followed Wags' videos, however I constantly get the XMIT NAK UHF message.   Also, what are the limitations of the datalink system.....line of sight, distance, etc...?

@Mange Can you please provide some more detail on this?  In the mission editor both groups (Chaos and Crow) are on 225.00.  In the datalink coms in-game UHF is selected and 225.00 is the frequency, however, I still don't receive a reply although I am not getting an error message anymore.

• ED Team
  • Solution

The datalink uses the radios to transmit data, just like the Ka-50. As a result, it is subject to the same limitations as the radios themselves.

To use datalink, the radio must be tuned to a preset corresponding with a network, so that the corresponding radio displays "L#" in the radio line. Datalink cannot function if the radio is manually tuned to a frequency. Wags demonstrates this in the beginning of this video.

The AI use of the datalink is not fully implemented at this time. The use of the datalink requires each aircraft to be on the same preset network and on the same radio frequency. The AI do not dynamically change their presets to match the player's.

A network can be manually set up within the cockpit through the NET sub-page, which Wags demonstrates in this video:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

4 hours ago, Mange said:

I did have the same problem… make sure you and your ai wingman are on the same frequency on the radio you using for datalink…

@Mange

The only thing that works for me so far is getting my wingmans PP.

Have You seen FARM working with the AI isn Single player ?

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

I messed around with the DL a lot on release day with some buddies and we were able to get just about everything to work. We didn't attempt to send entire mission files so I can't vouch for that. But messages, target points, waypoints, PP, FARM reports, all of that worked no sweat.

47 minutes ago, Sabre05 said:

I messed around with the DL a lot on release day with some buddies and we were able to get just about everything to work. We didn't attempt to send entire mission files so I can't vouch for that. But messages, target points, waypoints, PP, FARM reports, all of that worked no sweat.

Yeah - but the question is how much functionality there is with AI wingmen in single player.

• Like 1

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

30 minutes ago, fjacobsen said:

Yeah - but the question is how much functionality there is with AI wingmen in single player.

Excuse me for missing that you were talking about AI wingmen. But I'm sure in future implementations you'll be able to use the canned text messages to order your AI wingman around, and of course you should be request to see your wingman's PP. I have no idea if any of that is implemented yet.

What I have found so far is that you have to go into the mission editor and make all of the flights have the same com frequency.

For example: Chaos Flight = 127.50 and Sioux Flight = 127.50.  Then once in the Apache in-game go to the COM page and make sure VHF has 127.50 and L1 (Wags shows how to do this in his FARM video).  I know others have mentioned this, but I wasn't sure what they meant exactly. 

Anyway this worked for me and I was able to get PP (Present Position) reports from my AI wingman in Single Player.    No other reports or messages are available from AI wingman at this time as far as I can tell.

2 часа назад, Chops сказал:

What I have found so far is that you have to go into the mission editor and make all of the flights have the same com frequency.

For example: Chaos Flight = 127.50 and Sioux Flight = 127.50.  Then once in the Apache in-game go to the COM page and make sure VHF has 127.50 and L1 (Wags shows how to do this in his FARM video).  I know others have mentioned this, but I wasn't sure what they meant exactly. 

Anyway this worked for me and I was able to get PP (Present Position) reports from my AI wingman in Single Player.    No other reports or messages are available from AI wingman at this time as far as I can tell.

Yes - it is. So far only the report of the slave and other groups on their PP position is working 

ZAR_Magadan

Okay so I think I've figured out what in wanting to do. When modifying your ownship callsign it doesn't show in the directory. I know you can search for them and I was able to do that but couldn't set them as TEAM/PRI when I did find them as it wasn't listed. Hope this clears my question up more.

LEGS - JTF-13

13 hours ago, Legs said:

Okay so I think I've figured out what in wanting to do. When modifying your ownship callsign it doesn't show in the directory. I know you can search for them and I was able to do that but couldn't set them as TEAM/PRI when I did find them as it wasn't listed. Hope this clears my question up more.

The member directory is not dynamic, so if anyone changes their ID and callsign, you'll have to manually enter their information via the net page. Select one of the preset entries on the COM page, select NET, then select one of the empty/question mark fields. At the top, select the C/S field, then type the custom callsign. This will open the SUB field where you can enter the custom originator ID. From there, you'll be able to box the TEAM and PRI options. Note that you cannot set Preset 9 and 10 to datalink, only internet, fire support, or none.

Edited by NeedzWD40

9 hours ago, bradmick said:

Hi bradmick,

thanks so much for the video, the best I've seen on this subject by a mile!

However, on a MP server, with my wingman next to me on the ground, with both of us calling out letter by letter what we have set (while watching your video again- step-by-step), we never received any messages (only tried sending PP and FARM).  Our cockpits looked identical to yours.  (Only ever had the NAK come back to us).  I am B11, he was B12, both on Buddy, same freq, IDM set to FM2 etc...

Have you heard of any issues within DCS, that sometimes it just doesn't work?

Have a good flight.

'52

i7-11700F  64GB RAM  RTX3060  WIN 10Pro  HP Reverb G2  TM Cougar & Logitech X56

On 10/22/2023 at 5:40 AM, Raptor9 said:

The datalink uses the radios to transmit data, just like the Ka-50. As a result, it is subject to the same limitations as the radios themselves.

To use datalink, the radio must be tuned to a preset corresponding with a network, so that the corresponding radio displays "L#" in the radio line. Datalink cannot function if the radio is manually tuned to a frequency. Wags demonstrates this in the beginning of this video.

The AI use of the datalink is not fully implemented at this time. The use of the datalink requires each aircraft to be on the same preset network and on the same radio frequency. The AI do not dynamically change their presets to match the player's.

A network can be manually set up within the cockpit through the NET sub-page, which Wags demonstrates in this video:

Hi Raptor9,

we have been through Wags' videos twice, and the ones from bradmick, without success.  We double check each others entries.  The only thing I can see is that we set our aircraft up from the cockpit only, whereas Wags sets up the aircraft in the ME, before going flying.

Can you please confirm that this ME based setup is required?  (As no other videos show it.) 

Wags' video was the only one I have seen, that actually had the sent messages acknowledged.  

Thanks for your help.

'52

Edited by Gunslinger52

i7-11700F  64GB RAM  RTX3060  WIN 10Pro  HP Reverb G2  TM Cougar & Logitech X56